Sign in to follow this  
johnfairm

SSD - Connecting cable?

I have bought a Samsung 850EVO SSD 500GB (internal drive). I will be moving my P3D installation onto this drive.

I'm not sure what sort of cable to get to connect it into my system. There seems to be a lots of different types and as i'm not too computer savvy its got me confused.

My motherboard is an ASUS Sabretooth  Z87 USB3.0.

I would appreciate any advice on the cable type please. I'm in the UK.

Many thanks

John Fairman

John: you need both a SATA power cable that connects your computer's power supply to the SSD and you also need a SATA data cable that connects the computer's motherboard to the SSD.

I will assume you didn't build your computer yourself since you say you're not too computer savvy but if you had, both the power supply and motherboard would have come with such cables. I only mention this in the event that whoever built your computer gave you all of the components' packaging and accessories; you'd be able to dig this stuff out. If not, it's no big deal, you can pick up each on Amazon for a few pounds.

Hi Garrett,

Thanks very much for your advice. It seems it is just the SATA data cable that I need, as advised I have ordered one from Amazon together with amounting bracket for the drive.

Many thanks

John

There ya go! That's all you need then. Connecting it should be easy. Do keep all of the power off when doing this in case you didn't already plan to. Lastly, I just quickly glanced at the manual for that motherboard: plug the SSD in any of the SATA slots; they all look to be the same speed.