Sign in to follow this  
out

Asking for advice on buying an ultrawide monitor

I do own a Dell Ultra Wide 21:9 U3415W 3440x1440 for over a year and although it is nice, I wish I had more real state on the vertical plane. For example when you want to setup correctly your zoom level you are going to miss out of the forward outside view if you want your instruments as part of your view. Not the width but the vertical view.

Colorwise the monitor is ok. I think all the different gimmicks than comes with it are just that gimmicks. I have all those options off and only adjusted the gama and color to closely match 6700K (as best as I can) and of course contrast and brightness.

Even though I have enjoyed this monitor I am ready for a 4k monitor, the smallest size that I can get. Just my 2 cents.

Ed

• Upvote 1

Even though I have enjoyed this monitor I am ready for a 4k monitor, the smallest size that I can get

Thanks for your input, Ed. As usual, there are as many opinions as people who have them. Which is... educating. :smile:

This was also my initial dillema: which way to go when I can't go all of them. Using 4K has its advantages for sure.

In the end it will be me (and my wallet, unfortunately) who will have to make a choice.

I do own a Dell Ultra Wide 21:9 U3415W 3440x1440 for over a year and although it is nice, I wish I had more real state on the vertical plane. For example when you want to setup correctly your zoom level you are going to miss out of the forward outside view if you want your instruments as part of your view. Not the width but the vertical view

Even though I have enjoyed this monitor I am ready for a 4k monitor, the smallest size that I can get. Just my 2 cents.

Ed

This is the reason I chose a 40 inch 4K monitor over a 34 inch 21:9 monitor - lack of vertical screen real estate in fact no more than my old 24 inch 1200p monitor.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

This is the reason I chose a 40 inch 4K monitor over a 34 inch 21:9 monitor - lack of vertical screen real estate in fact no more than my old 24 inch 1200p monitor.

Bruceb

Hi Bruce, well in ownership Bruce of a 21:9...with the horizon center of the screen directly across from my normal head position, I still have to look 'up' or down'  by head movement, and most certainly have to move my head and focus left or right to the extreme edges of the monitor display. I have not seen any form of cockpit compression as some have stated their negatives about.  What I do have, is a very wide panorama from left to right of the entire graphics scene with no center distortion.  The vertical height of a 21:9 has certainly not impacted my in-cockpit viewing, but has only very much added value to any other form of graphic output, beyond simming.  Movies for instance that are shot native at 21:9, are mind blowing to view....stuff like that. :)))   

Of course, each to their own. Monitor Aspect Ratio's of 21:9, 16:9...they are all good, if they meet the expectation and work load of the user.  All good... :)

• Upvote 1

Monitor Aspect Ratio's of 21:9, 16:9...they are all good, if they meet the expectation and work load of the user.  All good... :)

We're talking specifically about flight sims here. The 21:9 ratio is a good compromise over the cumbersome three-screen display but for flight sims it still suffers the same major drawback, which is that it is an unnaturally narrow window on the world. 16:9 is better because if it's the right size it can fill your field of view both ways at the same time.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

We're talking specifically about flight sims here

Well, if my initial questions still matter, I care about more than simming, as the monitor will serve all purposes: working with documents, graphics and video, web browsing, watching YouTube videos, and simming, of course. :wink:

16:9 is better

Now a few FS developers in Aerosoft state the opposite.

As you see it's hard to get a clear view on such things... :blink:

By the way I had to choose which way to go and I ordered (my wife did to be exact) the 34" 21:9 LG monitor I mentioned as my potential choice.

I should get it in two days. Fortunately there is a 14-day return policy, so if I discover not to be in the ultrawide fanclub, I will send it back.

Thanks again to everyone for assisting me with the hard choice and sharing all this precious knowledge. :hi:

Well, if my initial questions still matter, I care about more than simming, as the monitor will serve all purposes: working with documents, graphics and video, web browsing, watching YouTube videos, and simming, of course. :wink:

Now a few FS developers in Aerosoft state the opposite.

As you see it's hard to get a clear view on such things... :blink:

By the way I had to choose which way to go and I ordered (my wife did to be exact) the 34" 21:9 LG monitor I mentioned as my potential choice.

I should get it in two days. Fortunately there is a 14-day return policy, so if I discover not to be in the ultrawide fanclub, I will send it back.

Thanks again to everyone for assisting me with the hard choice and sharing all this precious knowledge. :hi:

Congrat's on your new purchase.   A word of advice from an also new adopter to the 21:9 Ultra Wide screen format.  You NEED time to acclimatize!  This is truly a perspective-head space adjustment from years of 16:9.

It took me about 48 hours of in-use, throughout sim'ming, other gaming (wow on this!) and of course movies (Red Box, and Netflix).  Now..after having had the chance to experience both my previous 16:9, for all aspects of my computer use and viewing, and now this new 21:9 viewing experience across all my hobby and viewing interests, Rafal...I'm not going back, shipping my new Dell U3415W back, or wishing to further view the world via a 16:9 portal.

Nope....

BTW, I also use my system for work documents...and to have both legal size papers being worked on, on screen, side-by-side is FABULOUS!  Simply FABULOUS!  My wife loves that her hobby of digital photography, also has been made premium by the 21:9 view experience.  We both love it...

Give yourself time to adjust to the panorama that will unfold 24 inches before your eyes. Same for your wife....new visual world, and real-estate...enjoy with usage!

Cheers,

Mitch'er

• Upvote 1

Dumb question here maybe: Some say that many games don't allow you to run at 21:9? Is that true?

I imagine that the format is sort of ideal for simming, but not sure if giving up my 4K for a larger 21:9 would be a good decision.

Hans

Dumb question here maybe: Some say that many games don't allow you to run at 21:9? Is that true?

I imagine that the format is sort of ideal for simming, but not sure if giving up my 4K for a larger 21:9 would be a good decision.

For any game that does NOT run at 21:9, on most 21:9 monitors, you can change to 1:1, 16:9, 21:9 native.  All that happens, is that you would get a black out (like the letter-box effect) on either side of a game that can only display in 16:9, but you would most certainly get the full output of that game/title to the screen.

Make sure though that the monitor you are thinking of, has this capability. My Dell U3415W absolutely, does.

So, you score ALL the formats, by having an Ultra Wide Display.  You don't only get to buy the candy....you get to eat the candy.... :)  :hi:  :Party:

My 21:9 LG monitor has finally come today. And... :fool:  I cannot even test it. How stupid I am.

Preparing for this purchase I studied sizes, resolutions, refresh rates, everything but connections!

It appears that my GTX 560 Ti doesn't not have a HDMI port! Only standard monitor ports (it's DVI, I guess) and a mini HDMI.

The monitor has only HDMI (twice) and DP-IN.

I start wondering if I should send it back and wait till I buy a new PC with a new video card.

Keeping this monitor AND buying a decent card is currently not possible.

I read there are mini HDMI to HDMI cables, but is it going to be the same image quality as HDMI to HDMI?

And is the audio going to pass to the monitor?

Damn, I should have studied IT instead of earth science. :aggressive:

I would go with the connector cable first before sending the monitor back. If you buy a good one, i.e. not the cheapest, video and audio should be fine. 

• Upvote 1

Hans

Hans, thanks so much for your quick reply!

I would go with the connector cable

To buy a mini-HDMI to HDMI I guess? Not DVI to HDMI? :Pig:

I care to have audio working too.

Hans, thank you again!

Let me share a little report of how things are going.

My wife, who has a great working memory, told me she remembers a similar cord lying somewhere around. So, taking into consideration the shops were already closed and my brand new monitor was wasting its presence on my desk, I started searching through all possible boxes, drawers and shelves. This only made me aware of how much stuff I have left after all those years of changing computers. And... bingo... she was right! I found a mini-HDMI-to-HDMI cord. It doesn't look high quality, so I will buy a better one, but at least I could connect my ultrawide toy. And what...?

WOW!

219_KSFO_FSL_zpsgetslpgj.jpg

Please do not find faults in this screenshot. I haven't yet had the time to redo all image settings, NVidiaInspector, etc.

I just went to FB KSFO and entered my FSL A320 to see what it is like.

I am definitely not going to sleep tonight. :Cuppa:

I am devastated with how long I was wating to change my old 23" 16:9 monitor.

Expect another report later when the (positive) shock passes and I test and adjust more.