Sign in to follow this  

[XP11] Is there a specific 'most realistic' FoV setting?

I am using 70 right now with a 1920x1080 monitor. I remember seeing video's about the view in FSX/P3D where someone calculated what the most realistic view would be for a specific monitor. I was wondering if there is a specific 'most realistic' FoV setting for XP11? Does it also depend on the plane you are using...? Is it all very personal? I have to get used to a lot of things yet in XP so I would like to get used to the best view too. :wink:

I think 60 is realistic. But the problem is we only have one screen. But since you have TIR like me, 60-70 is fine

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hi,

I like to vary the FoV depending on the a/c and the instruments I want to see.

In XP11 if you go to a view of the instrument panel, you can see the changes made by moving the FoV slider.

If you have the "xassign" plugin it should save that FoV you selected (I think).

Jim Morgan

Due to the limitations caused by having a narrow view angle when looking at a monitor, compared to the natural wide view angle in real life, it's hard to define specifically what "most realistic" means, because you're going to compromise between a "realistic" view angle and a "realistic" peripheral vision.

That being said, the FoV setting corresponding to a realistic view angle could be calculated with the following formula:

FoV_angle = 2 * arctan(0.5 * MW / D)

Where:

MW = monitor width;

D = distance between eyes and monitor;

However using this formula, you'll probably get a quite narrow view angle, compromising peripheral vision (unless you have multiple monitors).

So to have a more realistic peripheral view, you should increase it to something at least 60 degrees or more.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Going with 75 normally. I like to zoom in and out to simulate the non existent head movement.

Hans

Using a head tracker like TrackIR messes with the "most realistic fov" idea. I use 60 degrees on my 1920x1200 monitor and I'd probably have it wider without TrackIR. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Ok, clear, thanks all. I think I will stick with (at least) 70. 60 is too close to the panel for me...

I use 100 for a 21:9 Ultra

I am using 70 right now with a 1920x1080 monitor. I remember seeing video's about the view in FSX/P3D where someone calculated what the most realistic view would be for a specific monitor. I was wondering if there is a specific 'most realistic' FoV setting for XP11? Does it also depend on the plane you are using...? Is it all very personal? I have to get used to a lot of things yet in XP so I would like to get used to the best view too. :wink:

Your monitor is probably a 16:9, right?

60 (default) seems best as far as proportions. You can just move your view back to see more of the panel.

70 is a good compromise. You get some fish-eye effect (kind of like you do in P3D if you zoom out), but it's close enough.

I have 3 monitors and found that 130 is the best for me.  It puts the panel in just the right place.

Howard

Jetline Systems: Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock); GTX 1080 Ti; LG Curved UltraWide 3440x1440 Monitor

Your monitor is probably a 16:9, right?

Correct.

60 (default) seems best as far as proportions. You can just move your view back to see more of the panel.

I can't set my view back (of forward or up or down) even though there are keys assigned to these options by defaul. Maybe because I use TrackIR...?

I do not use XPlane yet! But following this discussion I wonder if someone with a 4K curves monitor would have some input. It seems a curved monitor would mitigate some issues? Looking into 4K myself for the future.

Thanks

BaldyB.

I use 120 fov with two monitors ( 21:9, 16:9 ).

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.5GHz

Corsair Vengeance Black LPX 32GB

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

I can't set my view back (of forward or up or down) even though there are keys assigned to these options by defaul. Maybe because I use TrackIR...?

If you are using TrackIR, can't you just reposition yourself then 'center' TrackIR?  I use the free FaceTrackNoIR (however using IR) and I can do this. For example, if my current comfortable position is too far forward, I simply sit forward, push the key that recenters FaceTrackNoIR, then sit back again. This causes my comfortable sitting position to be back from the 'center' that was defined when I pushed the 'center' key. Make sense?  If not ask again and I'll try to clarify. Good luck!