Sign in to follow this  

Is P3D worth repurchasing PMDG Products?

I really want to get P3D because it seems like such a great flight simulator and FSX does not seem very "serious" if you will. Right now I have the PMDG 737NGX, 777-200LR/F with the -300ER expansion, that is quite a bit of money so I was wondering if I should make the switch and repurchase all of my PMDG products.Thanks.

I would say it depends on how long ago you bought the original products:

I bought the FSX versions when they first came out, so I was happy enough to pay for them again,since I felt I had gotten enough miles from them to justify the second payment :)

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I really want to get P3D because it seems like such a great flight simulator and FSX does not seem very "serious" if you will. Right now I have the PMDG 737NGX, 777-200LR/F with the -300ER expansion, that is quite a bit of money so I was wondering if I should make the switch and repurchase all of my PMDG products.Thanks.

Really, no one can really answer that for you. You could spend all that money and decide it wasn't worth it, then complain about the recommendation you received! Since you have the FSX versions and know what you get, only you can decide whether the outlay is worth it.

David Porrett

I have the PMDG 737, 777, MD11, B744 for FSX.  As much as I would love them for my P3D, I refuse top pay the higher price for the P3D stuff.  I can `rough it`with my FSX and fly my PMDG stuff ;)  Then P3D for everything else ;)

Bruce

• Upvote 1

Bruce Wood

I have the PMDG 737, 777, MD11, B744 for FSX.  As much as I would love them for my P3D, I refuse top pay the higher price for the P3D stuff.  I can `rough it`with my FSX and fly my PMDG stuff ;)  Then P3D for everything else ;)

Bruce

good frugal Answer... not everyone around here can claim to be called Mr. got rocks ...

Chas

• Upvote 1

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Ibtl.

My thought?

No. There is no valid reason I have yet to hear for P3D versions of any product to be more expensive than the FSX ones.

Having said that, I will buy the pmdg 744 v3 for P3D.

• Upvote 3

spacer.png

I'll add that I no longer have PMDG products installed on my rig, and I haven't for about 2 years now.  It's a personal choice, and one I might revisit at some point but given that I stream a lot, demonstrate upcoming products and host the annual FS Web Conference, I'm not sure I should stream or discuss these products.  After all, I know what the difference/work is behind a product working in FSX and P3D, and having users pay for the same files twice is just not something I feel I can get behind, regardless of how good the product might be.

I might feel different if there was a $30 fee involved, but not only having to purchase the product again (same files = same product) but pay more money?  If everyone in the community had said no, we not only wouldn't have to have this discussion, but the FSL Labs wouldn't have done this either.

Just my two cents.

• Upvote 9

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Believe me, if I was NOT married AND richer.....I would own the PMDG for P3D stuff too! :)

Bruce

Bruce Wood

Believe me, if I was NOT married AND richer.....I would own the PMDG for P3D stuff too! :)

Bruce

being married and experiencing the WAF ...it's not just due to a complaining wife… It's a matter of fairness vs selfishness in the allocation of a common, meaning, "shared", resource... namely, money.

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Or you can try the DX10 Scenery Fixer.

You will have many features including GPU bound Sim was good performance excellent lighting shadows in the cockpit clouds shadows without any compatibility problems and easy installation and great support.

I've been using it for sometime with great results.

mike

• Upvote 2

Sim,PC, monitor,prescription glasses, chair.

I didn't get back into flightsim until P3D was well into v2... and only then figured out who PMDG was anyway. So I guess being a newcomer made me lucky...

But the best opinion I ever saw on this matter was the CEO of one of the biggest, most respected scenery developers shut down a topic on his own forum due to a mention of the practice discussed herein. Some folks here may know who/what I'm referring to but a devoted flightsimmer could probably track it down. All of us here spout off views all the time but, for me, that was a view worth taking to heart.

Or you can try the DX10 Scenery Fixer.

You will have many features including GPU bound Sim was good performance excellent lighting shadows in the cockpit clouds shadows without any compatibility problems and easy installation and great support.

I've been using it for sometime with great results.

mike

Not true FSX with DX10 isn't GPU bound ;-) it's still CPU only better memory management due to DX10 API.

Further P3D is a different sim compared to FSX, despite the great efforts from Steve his DX10 scenery fixer...

Only to get rid of the mouse bug will give you a gain in P3D of at least 5 FPS plus not to mentioned a whole list of difference and improvements.

As for the OP his question it was for me a fast decision when I moved to P3D to include those birds in my virtual environment.

André

Very much worth the investment. 

• Upvote 1

OP might be asking this in light of a possible 64bit release in near future