Sign in to follow this  

Is P3D worth repurchasing PMDG Products?

OP might be asking this in light of a possible 64bit release in near future

Near Future...... :dance:

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

My thinking on 64-bit is that we'll know about it long before it happens.  The amount of testing with developers is probably going to be enormous and it will leak.  Also, it'd be a marketing boon.  Clearly we want it but I'm not holding my breath.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Near Future...... :dance:

yeah I know..., made my morning. Hahahah

Dan Downs KCRP

The advances in PD3V3 are worth the cost of updating your PMDG aircraft. I would also suggest that installing a SSD dedicated to PD3V3 and other flight sim supporting files like mesh and REX products is a good idea. Go in with your eyes open when you can afford it and you will soon be deleting FSX from your system.

My thoughts,

Greg 

• Upvote 1

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

I have been using NGX and T7 on FSX since they came out (I love the T7, which I believe is the best addon ever made for PC flight simulation) and I have never had a particular feeling with P3D...until V3.2 came out....from then on, a mix of hardware change and some "spot on" tuning have made me change completely my mind...I made my last 30 flights or so with P3D and when yesterday I went back to FSX I was shocked by the difference....!

So the answer to the OP is, if you fly regularly with these two addons, YES...without any doubt.... they are not cheap but in the end the "cost per hour" is very low compared to most of other hobbies...and again, once you have found your "sweet spot" on P3D, you will never go back to FSX.

Just my thoughts...

Ezio 

• Upvote 2

Intel I9-9900KF @5Ghz, Asus RTX2080 Super, Asus Maximus XI Hero, G-Skill F4 3600C16-GTZ 32Gb

OP might be asking this in light of a possible 64bit release in near future

And I'm sure pmdg will try and find away too fleece you again. At least your not paying to beta test it which also seems to be the new thing nowadays

• Upvote 1

14ppkc-6.png

At least your not paying to beta test it which also seems to be the new thing nowadays

Can I interest you in an Airbus?

Very much worth the investment. 

And that's just it, an investment.  We are all investing in the advancement of the simulator and/or the individual developers' products.  How far you go with it is up to you.  There are countless forum threads here and everywhere else, discussing the pros and cons of all of the simulators, but it all comes down to what you want.  What might work for someone else may not work for you, so there is that to consider.  I fell into the trap of listening to a great many suggestions about how to set up your computer, tweak the sim, what add-ons to use, is it worth it, etc. but ultimately, I pulled the trigger.  I have some regrets, but I cannot blame anyone for it, and for what works for me now, I can also praise those who had suggestions I followed.

I've started to steer clear of becoming a lemming now and checked out the other side of the fence and I'm glad I did.  I'll occasionally fly in P3D, but for the most part, it's with the other simulator.  Everyone has their own desires of what they want out of their sim, so the decision is up to you.  We can only speculate on the future of the simulators, with one already advancing forward rather well, while LM is silent about what they may have in store.  Time and patience is all we need right now.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

So I just calculated the pricing for my full upgrade to P3D and it is going to be about $400, would you say that is a normal or reasonable amount for upgrading to P3D? Of course it will be one add on at a time but still.

Only you can answer that question yourself; what is reasonable for one is completely outrageous for another.

I'd love to rebuy the 777 for P3d, but for me-and with the possibly imminent release of the 747-and my somewhat meager funds situation, I can't do it. 

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

I feel this could be money well spent, but I also think that just leaving behind already hundreds of dollars worth of PMDG products for FSX is a difficult judgement to make on weather it is a bad thing or not. I am really looking forward to the 747, but the amount of money spent on things in FSX I will not be using just to purchase again gives me an uneasy and kind of guilty feeling. 

I know this hobby can get quite expensive and I know of people who have invested thousands into flight simulator addons but is the $400-ish upgrade cost to P3D typical for someone who is already deep into flight simulation like me?

I say absolutely. If you have the money then you should, I say start with the 737 due to its popularity in the airline business and having an abundance of flights to pick from. Move to the 777 and or the 747 later on, I myself am a huge 777 fan, although the 748(which is bound to be out soon after the 744 release) is a favorite of mine as well. I originally had fsx:se, and purchased all pmdg products then made the switch to p3d and purchased them all again (I know many can't do that and that is fine) I'm not boasting just stating that regardless they are tremendous products and I support them. Those guys put in a lot of work, they deserve the pretty penny that is charged.

So I just calculated the pricing for my full upgrade to P3D and it is going to be about $400, would you say that is a normal or reasonable amount for upgrading to P3D? Of course it will be one add on at a time but still.

I had to repurchase a lot as well, not only the pmdg products but active sky and Rex and I ended up getting orbx. MCE and Rex soft clouds however did crossover, and some airports and planes

Tyler Sexton

Yes, I believe I should not really focus so much on the money part as a whole because thinking of how many sodas I bought in total, the amount of money spent would scare anyone, but buying one $3 soda at a time is enjoyable, and not punishing my wallet. This definitely relates to buying flight simulator addons because I have fun flying them and (unless you get too much at once) buying one at a time will not send the finances down.

Not worth it IMO. One of the only developers that did it right is Majestic software. The Dash 8 is FSX/P3D compatible, you don't have to rebuy and they don't even ask for an ugrade price (which would still be ok).

After having bought the NGX and 777 from PMDG and now their prices are skyrocketing, they're asking for even more money if you want to (or maybe even have to) switch to P3D, no thank you. They can also keep their 747 because I sure won't be buying that for a long time. 

After having bought the NGX and 777 from PMDG and now their prices are skyrocketing, they're asking for even more money if you want to (or maybe even have to) switch to P3D,

where  does it  say you have  to switch  to p3d,  no one is  forcing  you  to go  to p3d,  maybe  you should  join a golf  club and  play golf  than you know about prices :Tounge:

• Upvote 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg