Sign in to follow this  

Is P3D worth repurchasing PMDG Products?

Not worth it IMO. One of the only developers that did it right is Majestic software. The Dash 8 is FSX/P3D compatible, you don't have to rebuy and they don't even ask for an ugrade price (which would still be ok).

Aerosoft products can be used on FSX, FSX-SE and P3D without extra charges.

Greetings  Kurt

MSFS, X-Plane 12

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 32Gb ram, RX 5700 XT 8Gb ram, 1TB SSD

Aerosoft products can be used on FSX, FSX-SE and P3D without extra charges.

True that, that's why I said Majestic is one of the devs that do this.

where  does it  say you have  to switch  to p3d,  no one is  forcing  you  to go  to p3d,  maybe  you should  join a golf  club and  play golf  than you know about prices :Tounge:

The lousy performance of FSX does. I spent years tweaking and fiddling around just to end up with crashes, OOMs and stutters. P3D pretty much fixed all of this for me  :wink: 

Not worth it IMO. One of the only developers that did it right is Majestic software. The Dash 8 is FSX/P3D compatible, you don't have to rebuy and they don't even ask for an ugrade price (which would still be ok).

After having bought the NGX and 777 from PMDG and now their prices are skyrocketing, they're asking for even more money if you want to (or maybe even have to) switch to P3D, no thank you. They can also keep their 747 because I sure won't be buying that for a long time.

+1.

The shocking thing is, you can port over your NGX into P3d. Not using that migration tool, which elsewhere on these forums has variable results. If one has a rudimentary understanding of the file structure, (placing UT2 into P3d, as posted in these forums, is the way its done) its quite straightforward, no new files are required. So in my opinion PMDG have no reason to charge the same again for the P3d product.

I applaud Mjc for their Dash 8 product. In P3d it's one of the most important simulations!

Regards

David

• Upvote 2

I own both the NGX and 777 for FSX but add me to the list of people not willing to pay for them again to use in P3D.

I've been with P3D since v3 and aircraft like the Majestic Q400 keep me well entertained. Unless I get some substantial evidence that a lot more has gone into the P3D variant of PMDG aircraft, I do not at all plan on purchasing them again. Add to that the fact that PMDG does not offer shared cockpit, there's little reason for me to even induce a repurchase thought in my head. 

Kudos to developers like Majestic and Aerosoft!

• Upvote 1

I rebought NGX as I can't imagine 1 week without flying it and I buried FSX for good.

Yet, I do think that the pricing policy is somewhat unreasonable, unless they grant us with free 64 bit upgrade, as one of their members stated on this forum. (and yes, I know many think it's not going to happen and for that reason I won't purchase new 747 until they clearly state it)

Yep, there are some excellent planes available that one can get for P3D and FSX. In addition to the fantastic Majestic Q400 and the excellent Aerosoft A320, I see great potential in the TFDi 717. I have no need for PMDG planes anymore and decided not to support them after switching to P3D.

Peter

• Upvote 2

FSX does not seem very "serious" 

Define "serious". I ask because, when it comes to the feature list of what I think a serious flight sim should provide, I don't see any difference between P3D and FSX.

And it's not just Majestic and Aerosoft. Every addon aircraft I own (from many different developers) all work in both sims without having to pay again. PMDG and FSL are the only 2 developers I know of, that charge you again. And at least in FSL's case, they are only charging an "upgrade" fee to move to P3D.

Any developer I've spoke to insist that there isn't enough of a difference between the FSX and P3D variants to warrant any additional cost to the customer.

I made the mistake of buying the PMDG 777 before moving to P3D (as I never knew much about P3D). After I moved, I didn't bother buying the 777 again. I bought the NGX instead. However, I certainly won't be buying the 744. I bought the iFly 744 instead and I'm more than happy with it.

• Upvote 3

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

I agree that most FSX simple aircraft you can modify in a few minutes to work in P3D, often don't need modifying but there's a few things to do to be correct and proper. Then a few weeks work sorting out the installer, that can become several months depending n the complexities of the aircraft and it's accompanying software configuration programs and so on. When they don't actually make "a living" out of it, mostly it's all passion driven work, how can they justify giving it away free? Then under the hood there's enough changed in P3D to mess the developer about for months, and it's still in development. So that can bear down on the developer a lot if they have very complex system integration. Some P3D addons are still being developed as we speak.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Upgrade price yes, paying again (and actually more) is a rip off, unless you get free move to 64 bit environment.

Really, if others could do it then it's not impossible. Look at amazing Q400 which is also very deeply modeled.

To be fair. PMDG will offer a free upgrade to a future 64 bit version of P3D.

Pricing in P3D will be different than our FSX customers may be accustomed to, as our P3D product line will continue to grow and expand under a continuing development program.  This will include update to x64 versions, additional functionality and product capabilities as they are made available within the P3D platform.

From this thread: http://www.avsim.com/topic/461652-07feb15-pmdg-777-200lrf-300er-for-p3d-released/

"rip offs"? Cute.

Some devs might have been making their addons since P3D came out. You guys are not thinking this through.

Thread getting locked in 3...2...1    Lol. 

Well none of us are coders (well maybe SteveW) so to assume we know how easy or how much work goes into adapting the code from one sim to another is mere speculation.  Maybe PMDG's code runs deep and is completely broken moving from one sim to another.  Thus reworking the aircraft and systems cost their developers time and money to re-adapt it. 

Point is.  If you don't want to pay the price again then don't.  Freedom of choice is a beautiful thing.

We CHOSE to move from FSX to P3D.  You had no problem paying the price for P3D even though its an enhanced version of FSX. 

And if Aerosoft and Majestic and others don't want to charge people again well that is THEIR choice.

Isn't a free market economy grand!  lol. 

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

Some devs might have been making their addons since P3D came out. You guys are not thinking this through.

+1

some  users  dont  know  what goes  on behind  the  scenes  they think they know

• Upvote 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

to assume we know how easy or how much work goes into adapting the code from one sim to another is mere speculation

It's not a HUGE amount of work although remember the P3D goalposts continue to widen keeping some devs more than busy.