Sign in to follow this  
JBieletto

Weather Radar does not work well with AS16

Hi

Since updating the Active Sky Next to Active Sky 16, the Weather Radar screen only shows the areas with storm clouds (red), but when the sky is clouded, the radar does not show green coverage.

Only green spots are very scattered and very tenuous.

However the EGPWS works perfectly well showing the height of the terrain by colors (Red, Amber and Green).

Do you know what this is?

Thanks in advance for your response

José Bieletto

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

This is a complaint I had with both ASN and AS16, nothing changed much.  I recommend you complain to HiFi.

There have been one or two sessions where I saw more green than red but it is not the norm.  I think their dBz response curve is skewed too far towards the high end, or their modelling of a typical rain show is the same as a CB with F5 tornadoes haha.

Do you know what this is?

In addition to what Dan said, this is also a bit of a misunderstanding of radar:

"[...] but when the sky is clouded, the radar does not show green coverage."

Radar is not a cloud finder. It is a precipitation finder. No precip, no echo.

• Upvote 2

This is a complaint I had with both ASN and AS16, nothing changed much.  I recommend you complain to HiFi.

There have been one or two sessions where I saw more green than red but it is not the norm.  I think their dBz response curve is skewed too far towards the high end, or their modelling of a typical rain show is the same as a CB with F5 tornadoes haha.

Hi Dan
Thanks for the answer, I already complain with HIFI, but they told me that it was not a problem caused by the AS16 as it works just like the ASnext.

After this I uninstalled and reinstalled the B738 and after that I got to see the precipitacionbes in red, but in HiFi they did not help me.

Jose Bieletto

In addition to what Dan said, this is also a bit of a misunderstanding of radar:

"[...] but when the sky is clouded, the radar does not show green coverage."

Radar is not a cloud finder. It is a precipitation finder. No precip, no echo.

Hello Scandinavian 13
Thanks for the explanation, however before updating the AS from the Next to the AS16 the PMDG B738 radar showed me the cloud coverage in three different colors, Green, Yellow and Red, that is why the doubt has arisen.

I thank you for the clarification, as it actually only shows me the rainfall and so it should be.

Thank you very much

Jose Bieletto

Thanks for the explanation, however before updating the AS from the Next to the AS16 the PMDG B738 radar showed me the cloud coverage in three different colors, Green, Yellow and Red, that is why the doubt has arisen.

I thought PMDG and HiFi did a good job on the weather radar.  It may not be perfect, but neither is the real world aircraft radar.  :smile: 

blaustern

I thought PMDG and HiFi did a good job on the weather radar.  It may not be perfect, but neither is the real world aircraft radar.  :smile:

the thing is, it used to be better. i have noticed the same thing, something about the returns looks a bit different since i switched from ASN to AS2016 also. they used to look more solid and now have kind of a blocky appearance often with just a grid of dots showing up instead of fully colored regions. i haven't had time to really investigate it but i do think something is amiss even if perhaps not intentionally changed. i'd guess is something on Hifi's end though, since i don't believe the NGX has had any changes for quite a while.

cheers!

-andy crosby

Weather Radar Solved

My issue has been resolved

Today has returned to show me the three types of coverage of the clouds, gren yelow and red, the only distinct is that yesterday update the controller of my Nvidia graphics.

I assume the previous drivers did not work well with the radar scan, because I have not done anything additional.

Thanks for your tips.

Jose Bieletto