Sign in to follow this  
btacon

Where's the Channukah AVSIM tail?

I guess I must have missed it, as it's this Wednesday..And did I miss the Kwanzaa one, too?Cripes.That's ok, our local malls have forgone their political correctness and they don't put up the Stars of David on the mall parking lot lights anymore, either.

Glad you volunteered!!!! Send us an image within the size of the current logo that incorporates all that, and we'll be more than happy to use it!!

Turner112, Orrrr..... I know.....I promise this will work as well.1) Take a whole bunch of Money......2) Build your own website......3) Host thousands and thousands of files for free download.....4) Then you can place whatever images you want on your PRIVATE website as your private logo.....As this is a Private website, I think Tom and the gang can put whatever images they want on THEIR site, and since I am but a visitor here, I will defer to them as to what they display and what they don't.And I think it is a nice Graphic that show nothing more than a Hat and a Little Snow.... Political Correctness... Please.... If you see anything else in that logo, I politely ask that you view it again.Regards,JoePS Tom & Staff. Thanks for always being there for us, and happy Holidays from my family to yours and the rest of the staff. I hope & Pray you all have a Joyous and Merry Christmas and a Happy & Prosperous New Year.

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Guest Xmech

You got me thinking, due to so much PC (Political Correctness) going around, all the business about no more Christmas parties, no more Christmas Lights Festival in San Diego, but 'Holiday' Lights instead, and there was even a case of a public school up north in one of them square-shaped states, I believe, cancelling a Halloween party for kids, due to it offending a couple of witches. (Really! ) Not only that, but the city of San Diego allowed some local businesses to put up their Islamic banners back up in the street for Ramadan, even though it's against city ordnances. http://www.cair-net.org/asp/article.asp?id=1290&page=NRBut can we put up Christmas banners? What's going on here? Why are we afraid of being ourselves? We really are being sensitive to everyone elses religions, traditions, etc., to the point losing our own..... So who is being sensitive to our traditions?So I researched over at MSFSGateway through their Regional file to see what other countries FS sites have going on, and here's my report:First of all, I found NO OTHER holiday seasons celebrated on the other sites I visited, even from Israel. The Indian site had an old message wishing a happy Indian Independance day, but no mention of the 4th of July, or Cinco de Mayo. (No I don't know how to spell that)The Israili site did have music, but none I was familiar with. I will give them an honorable mention for hosting lots of 'Neighbor' aircraft, of countries that neighbor them.Languages. It dawned on me that almost all these sites were in english! A special thanks to all you guys for that. There's a Russian site that let you chose english or russian from the home page. (Hello, welcome to company abc, for english, please press one,...) However, there were several sites only in Spanish, and several only in French. Considering how EVERYTHING in the US comes in english and spanish, I think you guys owe us one, eh? I can't blame the French, however, as we have not yet fitted our ATMs and automated operators with the french languge yet. So it seems we owe someone an update to add Russian to all our automated devices! A special kudos to the Thai Flightsim site. While it was almost all in english, they have a changing welcome banner that had more languages than I bothered to count, even heiroglyphics, I think!Frankly, I was a bit disappointed at no Chanuka celebrating, or Kwanzaa, or anything else for that matter. I did enjoy my short virtual (pardon the pun) whirlwind tour around the globes FS community, and enjoyed seeing all the terrific add-ons and obvious love of the hobby which it seems we all share. (Is there hope for us yet? ) So, is Avsim at fault for celebrating their traditions? If they did wish you a merry Christmas or happy Kwaanzaa even though you're not of that faith, isn't it enough that they mean to wish you well? Should Avsim ditch the festive tail to maintain PCness? Should we all become robots?Sorry for the length of the post, and I certainly hope no one feels flamed by this, it is not meant to be that way. Just food for thought....and finally,Merry Christmas!

Well, yes.Though nobody has ever (directly) wished me a happy Kwaanzaa.Jews don't go around wishing everyone they encounter a happy Channukkah, either. Merry Christmas, on the other hand, well, it's about like "have a nice day" anymore.I'm certainly not offended. Just amused. I should mention, too, that the AVSIM community - more than just about any other site I frequent - seems to have a really low tolerance for humor, especially sarcasm/irony. Must be an aviation thing.My flight instructor had a good sense of humor, but he was 73.And a happy Kwaanzaa to you.Andrew>If they did wish you a merry>Christmas or happy Kwaanzaa even though you're not of that>faith, isn't it enough that they mean to wish you well?

Guest Matt Johnson

>I'm certainly not offended. Just amused. I should mention, too, that >the AVSIM community - more than just about any other site I frequent - >seems to have a really low tolerance for humor, especially >sarcasm/irony. Must be an aviation thing.Then again, us Brits would say that's a generically American problem. ;-)I think the core issue is that sarcasm doesn't travel well in a text-only medium, let alone across language barriers.Wishing you a pleasing, politically-correct Christmas Kwanzaa Hanukkah advent yuletide holiday season...--M

Guest DemolitionMan

Hi allThought I'd do my bit for this post, I guess this should cover it all,lol:Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my bestwishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible,low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the WinterSolstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions ofthe religious persuasion of your choice, or the secular practices ofyour choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/ortraditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious orsecular traditions at all...and a fiscally successful, personallyfulfilling, and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset ofthe generally accepted calendar year 2004, but not without due respectfor the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions tosociety have helped make America great (not to imply that America isnecessarily greater than any other country or is the only "AMERICA" inthe western hemisphere), and without regard to the race, creed, color,age, physical ability, religious faith, choice of computer platform,or sexual preference of the wishee. (By accepting this greeting, youare accepting these terms. This greeting is subject to clarificationor withdrawal. It is freely transferable with no alteration to theoriginal greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to actuallyimplement any of the wishes for her/himself or others, is void whereprohibited by law, and is revocable at the sole discretion of thewisher. This wish is warranted to perform as expected within theusual application of good tidings for a period of one year, or untilthe issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first,and the warranty is limited to replacement of this wish or issuance ofa new wish, at the sole discretion of the wisher. Should tidingsgenerally accepted as good not be experienced by the wishee during thewarranted period, then this wish is null and void. This greeting hasno cash value.)Seasons greetings to everybody! BestGrahame (EDHL)

Guest Ken_Salter

While not going into what my specific beliefs are, let's just say they are not mainstream.However I have no problem with the graphic or using it my sig. It is just a ho ho hat and some snow.Besides, Coca Cola invented Santa Claus ;-)Peace out!

Guest glnflwrs

Excellent Grahame. I believe you have captured the original and the more recent poltically correct meaning/intent of our First Ammendment. (There are two official meanings as you are obviously aware.) The disclaimer was definately a stroke of sheer genius and, the times being as they are, a real necessity."Merry Christmas" or "Happy Days Off" everyone!!Glenn

Joe...with all due respect.Chill out.Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah, etc.bt

ummm...err.....That was 4 days ago dude..... ;-)And Merry Christmas to you as well. :-)Regards,Joe

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube.