Sign in to follow this  
odourboy

Is X-Plane 11 Beta Throttled?

I was testing different configuration options today to see how the various settings impacted my performance. It was no surprise that as I turned some settings up, images quality or scenery improved, while frame rates dropped.

In an effort to get better insight into what all was happening, I set up CPU and GPU memory and processor utilization monitors, and with that, I got a real surprise...

It appeared that regardless of settings, neither my GPU nor my CPU utilization were ever maxing out (unlike FSX and P3D where they will routinely max out if i crank up the right settings). In fact, CPU seemed rarely move much over 50% or so, even as frame rates dropped (GPU was not maxed either).

I find this really odd and wonder if the X-Plane team has somehow throttled XP11? Anyone else seeing this or offer an explanation for what I'm seeing?

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

I don't have the technical expertise to diagnose this, but I can say that I've never heard of Laminar doing anything like this for previous XP10 beta versions during that product run. I can't imagine why they'd do that with the XP11 beta. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

LM knows there are bugs with the rendering engine and low FPS. It's listed at the top of the bug list.

So they may not be purposely throttling it (why would they?), but it is reasonable to think that it may not be taking full advantage of all available hardware yet.

Yep, FPS looks very weird now. I think it is beta limitation and will be optimized in stable release.

Look: almost empty lanscape and so high CPU utilization. And no full load of GPU and CPU

x11jpg_3501522_24188595.jpg

(i7 6700K@4.5GZ GTX1080OC, 16GB DDR4 3200, 4K res. monitor)

Also VC view is too gluttonous and get ~30-40% of FPS.

I've sent to LR a bug report about it.

It would seem highly unlikely LR would purposely reduce CPU/GPU utilization -- are you sure it's not just because you changed focus and/or task priority?

I have single core (Main thread) at around 90+ % with the remaining cores around 20-50% ... memory usage was 12GB and VRAM usage around 4GB.

Made a quick video (4K) for you, using IXEG 737 with xEnviro enabled.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT GPU Utilization at max 100%

It would seem highly unlikely LR would purposely reduce CPU/GPU utilization -- are you sure it's not just because you changed focus and/or task priority?

I have single core (Main thread) at around 90+ % with the remaining cores around 20-50% ... memory usage was 12GB and VRAM usage around 4GB.

Made a quick video (4K) for you, using IXEG 737 with xEnviro enabled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6qOG5o-reU

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT GPU Utilization at max 100%

I don'the belive it'seems a focus issue, but it could be a memory issue. My system is light on RAM (8Gb) and VRAM (4 Gb), so I may be starving the processors due to lack of storage for the configuration, based on seeing your memory figures. I just noticed this this evening... I'll dig into it further tomorrow. Thanks for checking it out on you system.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

I find this really odd and wonder if the X-Plane team has somehow throttled XP11?

Make sure that if you have 4gb of vram or less, Texture Quality needs to be one notch below "Maximum (no compression)" this setting will kill fps. Also make sure Threaded Optimization is off for XPlane profile  in Nvidia's control panel (assuming you have a GTX).

I would also suggest to lock your frames to "Half of refresh" (assuming you have a 60hz monitor), this will give you a butter smooth experience.

• Upvote 1

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Make sure that if you have 4gb of vram or less, Texture Quality needs to be one notch below "Maximum (no compression)" this setting will kill fps. Also make sure Threaded Optimization is off for XPlane profile  in Nvidia's control panel (assuming you have a GTX).

I would also suggest to lock your frames to "Half of refresh" (assuming you have a 60hz monitor), this will give you a butter smooth experience.

Check, check and check! But thanks for the pointers.

Is that done in the nVidia control panel...? That used to work in my FSX days (if I recall correctly): so this does work with X-Plane? I know it doesn't work with P3D anymore.

Maybe Laminar should include some useless background processes that make sure the CPU and the GPU are always_maxed_out. Everybody will be so happy and praise the good design!  :P

Yep, FPS looks very weird now. I think it is beta limitation and will be optimized in stable release.

Look: almost empty lanscape and so high CPU utilization. And no full load of GPU and CPU

x11jpg_3501522_24188595.jpg

(i7 6700K@4.5GZ GTX1080OC, 16GB DDR4 3200, 4K res. monitor)

Also VC view is too gluttonous and get ~30-40% of FPS.

I've sent to LR a bug report about it.

Reading your HW and video 4K res, how does XP11 work in such 4K environment ? That would be very close to my next rig, 7700K, 1080ti.

now I have a 7 years old pc  :smile:

Could you run it @ 4K all maxed out + few maxed out addons ?

Thx ! 

My GTX 1080 has never passed 50 percent utilization in the few times I've checked. However, vram has gotten up to 6 GB on my 4K monitor.

Maybe Laminar should include some useless background processes that make sure the CPU and the GPU are always_maxed_out. Everybody will be so happy and praise the good design!  :P

Why the unnecessary sarcasm?  This was a sensible discussion about users observations.

• Upvote 1

John B

I've hit a 100% CPU usage.

I have noted this as well,  In fact, XP11 has run my CPU temp up more than than P3D or any other application/game that I use.  I would hope that the final version does not do this.

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale