Sign in to follow this  
odourboy

Is X-Plane 11 Beta Throttled?

My GTX 1080 has never passed 50 percent utilization in the few times I've checked. However, vram has gotten up to 6 GB on my 4K monitor.

Same here. I noted (in another venue) a few days ago that right over downtown Manhattan with most settings maxed, my 1080 was at about 54% 

I was speculating that the sim is extremely CPU-dependent right now, and I wonder a bit about the fact that max objects also seems to set max road traffic in XP11, which was always both a CPU hog, and a frame-rate issue in XPX.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Same here, I noted (in another venue) a few days ago that right over downtown Manhattan with most settings maxed, my 1080 was at about 54% 

I was speculating that the sim is extremely CPU-dependent right now, and I wonder a bit about the fact that max objects also sets max road traffic in XP11, which was always both a CPU hog, and a frame-rate issue in XPX.

Based upon that, do you think that they can balance the GPU - CPU load better?

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

Could you run it @ 4K all maxed out + few maxed out addons ?

In XP11 beta now not so comfortable as in XP10 or P3D. I can't say I could run it all maxed out at 4K.

VC also takes so much FPS. Hope it's beta related troubles.

Based upon that, do you think that they can balance the GPU - CPU load better?

My first thought was that a separate slider for road traffic might be good, as I always moderated traffic in XPX for better FPS.

My second thought was that they had (maybe) combined some sliders for more coherent beta testing.

Third thought was that less sliders was less confusing for newer users (and would lessen the nightmare of Steam support) at a loss of granular control for the more experienced, who were likely to be perturbed

Forth thought was an "Advanced" tab. To address all those points.

• Upvote 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

it was also explained in some video afaik where someone noticed the issue with cpu's with more than 4 cores where utilization was never more than 50%. It doesnt happen with 4 cores

4cores

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCUpm7PohuE

8cores

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6osQ7yBu3TA

That's interesting.  My 4790k with hyperthreading on sits at less than 40% utilization.  So it must be that XP is written to only load up 4 cores.

Edit: more accurately, the operating system schedules the threads from XP and sees no need to load up the virtual cores.

The underutilization I reported in the opening post is on a i5 3570K, which is (if anybody remembers that far back in CPU technology) a 4 core non HT CPU. So this is becoming curiouser and curiouser !

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Is that done in the nVidia control panel...?

Yes, and it definitely works.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

This CPU core utilization is about what I would expect and consistent with other FS platforms.  I've discussed this many times in the past, but there will always be one main synchronization thread ... in this case it looks either LR or Win10 shifted that main thread OFF of core 0 where the OS does most of it's work -- this is good.

Thread Optimization (from GPU driver level) was "fixed" in XP 10.41 I believe ... but as a test I did try it disabled and performance dropped considerably.

On my setup, Shadows ON/OFF make no difference to performance ... but the shadows don't look good, extremely coarse/jagged so I turn them off.  I actually see a very slight increase (1-2 fps) in performance when my textures are set to Max with NO Compression.

Where performance drops significantly is with the AA setting (at 4K) ... I would prefer to run 4XSSAA but currently run at 2XSSAA+FXAA ... image quality is still very good at 2X SSAA+FXAA but I will see some jagged lines here and there but acceptable.

Performance will also drop ONLY in the VC when HDR is set to Max, so I keep HDR 1 notch below max.

I haven't noticed much of a difference in "reflections" setting in terms of performance, currently have it mid-way ... I have noticed that reflections seem a little "off" and/or delay in updating on the surface/fuselage ... good example is PMDG's DC-6 (default paint) but can also be seen on other default aircraft.

For those new to XP, Aerosoft provide several custom airports at "pretty good" quality levels as part of XP (EBBR, EDDF, EDDT, EGLL, and more) - this video was at LFMN (Nice) ... goto the Custom Scenery folder to see the list.  If I go to EGLL then performance drops to around 17-19 FPS.

For Beta, I actually think the performance is reasonably good for what LR is achieving with AG and lighting (PBR does take some processing muscle) keeping in mind this is at 4K.  xEnviro does have some issues -- DC-6 props go flat gray when viewed with xEnviro sky background from below the aircraft -- hard haze line at certain altitude, but is a great improvement over default.  I have SkyMaxx Pro V3, so will wait for V4 and see what they offer also (assuming of course the dev of that product accepts any level of critique and doesn't come back with childish comments).

It does look like I might need to increase my system RAM from 16GB to 32GB based on the VAS number currently at 12GB ... I would imagine as I add 3rd party PR scenery that VAS number will increase.

Some things I would like to see:

1.  Shadow options by object type (for example no shadows for trees - shadows on a X never look right)

2.  Shadow quality option

3.  Native support for 30Hz

4.  Fix to the sky banding/gradient

5.  Independent ability to control AI density from UI

Still, pretty impressive for a Beta and IMHO much improved over XP10.

Cheers, Rob.

This CPU core utilization is about what I would expect and consistent with other FS platforms.  I've discussed this many times in the past, but there will always be one main synchronization thread ... in this case it looks either LR or Win10 shifted that main thread OFF of core 0 where the OS does most of it's work -- this is good.

I also believe Thread Optimization should be on - great write up - what amazes me with XP11 has a ton of AI automobiles and aircraft and they just work no need to turn them down not noticing any hit from them - would be nice to have AI slider but I dont think I will be turning them down and I flew out of Mr. D New York Airports and has his NY city product and saw no difference in performance - that alone is amazing to me

32gig of ram here so that may be a good thing

Rich Sennett

32gig of ram here so that may be a good thing

Agree, 16GB is not leaving much room for OS and/or other apps/tasks (4GB) when XP11 is using 12GB.  16GB to 32GB upgrade for me.  

I personally don't believe in verified XYZ frequency RAM ... without any qualification on exactly how they are tested and verified and in what circumstances and environments  it's more gimmick than reality.  But there again, I don't believe in the CPU silicon lottery either (but I do accept there are variances, just nothing that can't be overcome) which brings "horror" to some experts (I think someone suggested I should be "fired" from moderator duties for having such an opinion) ... just a matter of more voltage and/or adjust OC settings to reach ones frequency goals ... either that or I've just been extremely lucky and won the silicon lottery for the past 20 years or so, and I'm not a believer in luck. ;)

The Lottery is really just about correct cooling, motherboard and RAM choice, and setting frequency/timing/voltage ... but there again I've been running my 5960X at 1.5v for almost 24 months (2 years) now without a single problem ... according to experts my CPU should have self destructed and burnt my house down after 10 minutes of use.

Cheers, Rob.

Yah, I went for 32gigs of ram pretty sure I was overdoing, it, but now I'm pretty happy I did.

Devons rig

Agree, 16GB is not leaving much room for OS and/or other apps/tasks (4GB) when XP11 is using 12GB.  16GB to 32GB upgrade for me.  

LOL Rob house is still there thats good its a nice one

Rich Sennett

That's interesting.  My 4790k with hyperthreading on sits at less than 40% utilization.  So it must be that XP is written to only load up 4 cores.

Edit: more accurately, the operating system schedules the threads from XP and sees no need to load up the virtual cores.

Here's a post from the .org that gets into some detail about how X-Plane works on multiple cores, and why it's' not unusual to see a core not maxed to 100% on monitoring software:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/55346-x-plane-and-multi-core-systems/

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

No worries here with how the cores are being load-balanced. Like the 4 core video results that alpha12125 posted, I'm seeing very balanced usage of all 4 cores on my 3570K. I spent some more time today monitoring on my own system and I'm still seeing an inexplicable overall under-utilzation of CPU but only WINDOWED MODE. When I go full screen, CPU jumps up to much higher usage. Is that weird or what!?

Anyway, I know I'm short of memory, particularly system RAM. That, and the fact that I am seeing good utilization in my normal operating mode, I'm going to stop worrying about this.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)