Sign in to follow this  
mikeymike

DVI or HDMI?

Hey guys i am purchasing a 4k tv soon for my flight simming bow i was wondering what i should use for a faster transfer rate? Hdmi or dvi?

And is there a specific guide i can go by setting up p3d on 4k?

Cheers

Mike

Between the two , HDMI but look for Display Port if you want the biggest data transfert rate.

JB

• Upvote 1

It all depends on what input/output connections you have available on your graphics card and on your tv.

A dual-link DVI connection can deliver up to 2560 × 1600 at 60 Hz. Running 4K resolution at 60Hz requires two dual-link DVI cables, or HDMI 2.0, or DisplayPort 1.2.

For 4K at 60 hz Display Port and make sure you get a good cable and it is not too long. If you don't have display port, then HDMI. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Thanks for the reply guys

I am running 2x gtx titans sc.

And getting the sony 49 inch hdr 4k

HDMI 2.0 for 4k.

I recently got a 4k TV myself and there was a huge difference in picture quality between using an older HDMI 1.0 cable and a HDMI 2.0 cable. 

You shouldn't need much set up. Just plug it in and your computer should update the resolution automatically. I recommend googling your "TV model number" along with "PC". You should find a bunch of links from people using the TV for PC gaming with associated settings.

My eyes were a little strained for the first couple of days looking at such a big screen close up, now my eyes are used to it and no issues.

Thanks for the reply guys

I am running 2x gtx titans sc.

And getting the sony 49 inch hdr 4k

AFAIK, apart from the ancient Component and Composite video inputs,

Sony only has HDMI inputs which makes the choice pretty easy there.  :)

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Not to hijack this thread, but got me thinking. I am currently using a DVI cable to connect my GTX980Ti to a 2560x1440 monitor. I do have a few HDMI cables lying around also but not sure if they are "version 2". How can you tell the difference? I don't play sound through the monitor but maybe the DVI is being maxed out in terms of my monitor's resolution.

When they say HDMI version 2 - does that relate to the cable being V2 or the connections on the GPU and monitor being v2 or both?

Would DVI limit the ability to run DSR scaling on a monitor that already runs 2650 x 1440P? I read that 2560 x 1600 is the max that DVI can handle.

Cheers,

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Not to hijack this thread, but got me thinking. I am currently using a DVI cable to connect my GTX980Ti to a 2560x1440 monitor. I do have a few HDMI cables lying around also but not sure if they are "version 2". How can you tell the difference? I don't play sound through the monitor but maybe the DVI is being maxed out in terms of my monitor's resolution.

When they say HDMI version 2 - does that relate to the cable being V2 or the connections on the GPU and monitor being v2 or both?

Would DVI limit the ability to run DSR scaling on a monitor that already runs 2650 x 1440P? I read that 2560 x 1600 is the max that DVI can handle.

Cheers,

https://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-2-0-what-you-need-to-know/

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

HDMI versions refer to the data sent and received by the HDMI connectors. A HDMI cable is either a Standard Speed cable or a High Speed cable. High Speed HDMI cables should be marked "High Speed" or "Category 2". If the manufacturer hasn't marked the cables, you would have to plug them in and test to make sure what type they are.

DSR is an internally rendered resolution that only exists internally in the graphics card, and which is scaled down to some other output resolution. So it is of course only the output resolution that matters with regards to cables/monitors.

FYI,

In the last few days I gave purchased a 4k monitor and the gtx1080 g1 gaming specifically for my p3d v 3.4. The monitor I got was the acer cb281hk 4k. I used the dvi port initially and the graphics were terrible for some reason and changed over to the the HDMI 2.0 port. I adjusted the refresh rate to 30hz and I can quite honestly say it made a huge difference to my simming experience, in terms of smoothness and quality of graphics.

On a side note, I had the gtx 970 prior and it would struggle with load being at 100℅ constantly with medium settings in p3d with heavy clouds using as2016 and asca. I also had some troubles maintaining 30 frames with gtx 970, depending on cloud covetage, airport etc. With the upgrade to the gtx 1080 I haven't really noticed an increase in frames, however I am able to maintain 30 frames with slightly higher graphics settings and dense cloud coverage, making a very smooth SIM.

Regards

Branko