Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Possible to make symbolic link for XP11 to use custom scenery folder from XP10?

I really hate having to make duplicate copies of my entire custom scenery folder from XP10 to use with XP11... is it possible to make a symbolic link in my root XP11 folder to use the custom scenery from XP10? This would save me a ton of space...

I know its possible, because I've seen and heard several people doing this and I see that Ortho4XP can create links automatically, but that feature doesn't work for me. So I have to do it manually. But would also wonder if this would also work for other things such as plug-ins as well? Where I can link the files I need from XP10 so that XP11 can access them.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I really hate having to make duplicate copies of my entire custom scenery folder from XP10 to use with XP11... is it possible to make a symbolic link in my root XP11 folder to use the custom scenery from XP10? This would save me a ton of space...

I know its possible, because I've seen and heard several people doing this and I see that Ortho4XP can create links automatically, but that feature doesn't work for me. So I have to do it manually. But would also wonder if this would also work for other things such as plug-ins as well? Where I can link the files I need from XP10 so that XP11 can access them.

Use with caution! 

https://sourceforge.net/projects/symlink-creator/

https://github.com/amd989/Symlinker

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Thanks a lot for that! :)

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

You don't necessarily need to make a symbolic link.

You can just copy the shortcut of your scenery to the custom scenery folder of X-Plane.

Example

SCENERY_PACK D:\X-Plane 11 Custom Scenery\Aerosoft - EBBR Brussels/
SCENERY_PACK D:\X-Plane 11 Custom Scenery\Aerosoft - EDDF Frankfurt/
SCENERY_PACK D:\X-Plane Custom Scenery\Librarys\BS2001 Object Library/
SCENERY_PACK D:\X-Plane Custom Scenery\Librarys\CDB-Library/
SCENERY_PACK F:\Ortho4XP\Tiles\Europe\zOrtho4XP_+48+013/
SCENERY_PACK F:\Ortho4XP\Tiles\Europe\zOrtho4XP_+49+011/
SCENERY_PACK D:\X-Plane Custom Scenery\zzz_Treelines_Farms_Europe_v2/
SCENERY_PACK D:\X-Plane Custom Scenery\W2XP\w2xp_Europe_net/
  • Upvote 3

Glenn, thanks for that tip! That's great!

You can just copy the shortcut of your scenery to the custom scenery folder of X-Plane

Thanks. Was wondering about this too.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

So, just for clarification, so I don't s screw things up, let me restate what has been suggested.

Let's say that I want to link scenery on a different drive from the one I have the main folder of X-Plane 10 or 11 on, and let's say that I have all my scenery on that other drive. All I need to have in my Custom Scenery folder is that one scenery.ini file referencing where the scenery is located.

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Cheers,

Tom

All I need to have in my Custom Scenery folder is that one scenery.ini file referencing where the scenery is located.

Is this correct?

You still need shortcuts inside the Custom Scenery Folder, you can't choose paths outside of this folder. I have an external 1TB drive will all of my orthos, and all I did was symlink them into Custom Scenery and it works fine. I have 2 scenery_packs.ini files for when I don't have the external drive

So, just for clarification, so I don't s screw things up, let me restate what has been suggested.

Let's say that I want to link scenery on a different drive from the one I have the main folder of X-Plane 10 or 11 on, and let's say that I have all my scenery on that other drive. All I need to have in my Custom Scenery folder is that one scenery.ini file referencing where the scenery is located.

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Cheers,

Tom

I have different setups for ortho , non ortho , USA , Europe etc depending on what I want to fly  so I just copy the scenery shortcuts to the x-plane custom scenery folder

This is an example of what I do. The shortcuts in the folder below are copied to "c:\x-plane 11\custom scenery"

Once you start X-Plane it will generate a scenery_packs.ini based on the shortcut links. You then rearrange the contents of the INI file as needed.

full.png

Very useful tip.

Thanks Glenn!

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Thanks, I was wondering about this too.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I have different setups for ortho , non ortho , USA , Europe etc depending on what I want to fly  so I just copy the scenery shortcuts to the x-plane custom scenery folder

This is an example of what I do. The shortcuts in the folder below are copied to "c:\x-plane 11\custom scenery"

Once you start X-Plane it will generate a scenery_packs.ini based on the shortcut links. You then rearrange the contents of the INI file as needed.

full.png

Or give all folders logical and, very important, names in alphabetical order (for instance all airport folders begin with A and all mesh folder with Z) so the folders are in the right order already. If you then remove everything from the Custom scenery folder, including the existing ini, and then copy other shortcuts into it, a new ini will be created with everything in the exact right (alphabetical) order. This way you never have to rearrange the ini at all.

I bought a 2 TB fire Cuda Seagate hybrid drive, I am glad I came across this post, what I understand speed between a normal SSD and a traditional HD is not all that different once it's loaded,now I can save space on my SSD for both x-plane 10 and 11, thanks for all the helpful posts.I didn't know the fire Cuda even existed. it just came out a couple months ago.i can't afford the 2tb SSD's, I will be glad when prices drop.

Or give all folders logical and, very important, names in alphabetical order (for instance all airport folders begin with A and all mesh folder with Z) so the folders are in the right order already. If you then remove everything from the Custom scenery folder, including the existing ini, and then copy other shortcuts into it, a new ini will be created with everything in the exact right (alphabetical) order. This way you never have to rearrange the ini at all.

I know how it works I have been using X-Plane for a few years ;-)

Like I mentioned I have different scenery options and the default customer scenery folder is empty I copy links  + scenery INI (which already has things in the order I want them) into the empty custom scenery folder 

I know how it works I have been using X-Plane for a few years ;-)

Like I mentioned I have different scenery options and the default customer scenery folder is empty I copy links + scenery INI (which already has things in the order I want them) into the empty custom scenery folder

LOL Yes, I know you know how it works. ;) My post was meant as an addition to yours for the OP because you only mentioned the automatic creation of the ini. ;)