Sign in to follow this  
bonchie

Bad stutters with the XP11 Demo?

One other point. HDR will cause a strain on a weaker system. GPU usage will skyrocket.

One other point. HDR will cause a strain on a weaker system. GPU usage will skyrocket.

in my case highest HDR+SSAO is indispensable because it adds the occlusion which makes a big difference in the visuals, so i decided to put the reflections on minimal which still gives PBR and it looks great, higher reflections settings seems FPS consuming in my case and bit buggy at this stage.

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

Like I said, it's not a normal performance issue where I'm just running things too high.

My system could handle HDR just fine anyway but I did try it off with no difference.

I'm gonna try an older nvidia driver and see if there's a difference. I have nothing set in Nvidia inspector but I did try some of the common suggestions and nothing helped.

I'll get it figured out.

This might be a problem which is not even directly related to X-Plane but possibly something going wrong in your OS / Hardware.

A classic issue would have been, if you machine starts to swap for some reasons ... but with 16 Gbytes that shouldn't happen so quickly (but it depends ... if something else would gobble up most of the RAM on your PC, then swapping would be inevitable).

Or do you maybe have some problems with a virus scanner or other "security" software?

in my case highest HDR+SSAO is indispensable because it adds the occlusion which makes a big difference in the visuals, so i decided to put the reflections on minimal which still gives PBR and it looks great, higher reflections settings seems FPS consuming in my case and bit buggy at this stage.

P3D was the same way reflections was a killer - but in low they still look great

• Upvote 1

Rich Sennett

I updated my drivers to the latest but nothing changed. Tried turning Threaded optimization to off but no change. I haven't seen anyone else complain about this, so it's gotta be something weird with my system.

Don't know about your system but I have similar problems with frequent long frames, what I did to get the FPS back to "normal" is bring up Settings and re-select the same graphics mode (in my case it was 3840 x 2160 60Hz) and return to flight.  I tried all the other settings, 1/2 refresh rate, set mode to single monitor performance, thread optimization on/off, etc. ... none of that help ... only re-selection of graphics res/hz made a difference.

Also, if I disable Vsync that can remove the stutters but I will get screen tearing.

This is with the new Beta 2 of XP11.

Still lots of issues, terrain shadows seem to follow my aircraft and still see lots of clipping of terrain from within the VC and the night time moon/gradient/banding ... but again this is still all Beta so hopefully all the kinks get sorted out.

Cheers, Rob.

in my case highest HDR+SSAO

I've tried HDR+SSAO and it works fine (no performance hit) outside of the VC, but as soon as I enter the IXEG VC performance drops by almost 50% ... can you point out the visual benefits, I honestly didn't see any with HDR+SSAO?  Or is a XP11 restart required?

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: I can turn reflections to max and haven't noticed much of a difference in FPS but I read somewhere that a re-start is required in order for these settings to take effect?

P3D was the same way reflections was a killer - but in low they still look great

I'll disagree with you there, no problems with reflections at max in P3D (SLI - made several videos showing reflections on cockpit canopy) ... it was only a performance hit when running NI SGSS AA at 4X or higher.  In XP11 I'm running 2X SSAA+FXAA and reflections (any setting) have no impact on FPS so far.  I think what some are seeing is that XP11 is making use of the GPU much more, so stronger GPUs will tend to show their abilities better.

The FPS consumers in XP11 seem to be AA and HDR+SSAO for my system.  Also tried Max objects and still no difference in reported FPS.

Cheers, Rob.

Also, if I disable Vsync that can remove the stutters but I will get screen tearing.

Is triple buffering enabled when enabling Vsync? In my case (AMD card) there's a specific setting in the AMD control panel to activate OpenGL triple buffering, don't know abnout nVidia though.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Check to make sure your not using all your Vram I was getting stutters and checked my Vram usage...8.5gb lowered turned compression on stutters fixed

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I've tried HDR+SSAO and it works fine (no performance hit) outside of the VC, but as soon as I enter the IXEG VC performance drops 

Same here

I think what some are seeing is that XP11 is making use of the GPU much more, so stronger GPUs will tend to show their abilities better.

Good to know

Hmm didnt try max objects have to try that

No stutters here unless I use HDR full in VC then it gets sluggish 

Rich Sennett

Is triple buffering enabled when enabling Vsync?

Tried with On and Off, On made performance a little worse but I expected that as I would need to hit just a little over 30 FPS (33+ FPS) in order to effectively use Triple Buffer to smooth things out.

Switching to 1080p (1920 x 1080) from 4K I only saw about 2-3 FPS difference ... I expected more of an increase to be honest.

As I understand it LR/XP11 are using OpenGL and not Vulkan?  I know AMD GPUs perform considerably better with Vulkan.

I'm upgrading to a single Titan X Pascal to see if that does anything as my current Titan X's (non-SLI per profile) is pegged at 100% utilization.  This will also allow me to use the more recent nVidia drivers that have broken SLI.

Cheers, Rob.

I've tried HDR+SSAO and it works fine (no performance hit) outside of the VC, but as soon as I enter the IXEG VC performance drops by almost 50% ... can you point out the visual benefits, I honestly didn't see any with HDR+SSAO? Or is a XP11 restart required?

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: I can turn reflections to max and haven't noticed much of a difference in FPS but I read somewhere that a re-start is required in order for these settings to take effect?

Hi Rob

HDR+SSAO adds an occlusion to objects, make their shades sharper which make objects look more defined and real, the below screenies are an example where i had global shadows off (which keeps only 3d shadow on aircraft in beta) and HDR+SSAO enabled, no restart required.

For reflections minimal are just giving me good quality reflections (dont think need restart), and in Beta reflections means (water, plane, dynamic reflections as the plane moves) some of these features are still buggy as per this list from LR http://www.x-plane.com/kb/x-plane-11-00-release-notes/

Hope these screenies show the difference between HDR (without SSAO) and HDR+SSAO, you can focus under objects, around vegetation, around houses, the cessna tail. Sometimes these hosted images loose bit of their quality... for the image with 737 look under the baggage carriage ...

X_Plane_2016_12_07_23_30_08_20.jpg

X_Plane_2016_12_07_23_30_17_56.jpg

X_Plane_2016_12_08_00_00_02_17.jpg

X_Plane_2016_12_08_00_00_10_53.jpg

free photo hosting

• Upvote 1

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

Fixed it.

On a whim I finally got around to using my Windows 10 upgrade (had still been using Windows 7) just in case something weird was going on with my OS.

XP11 is butter smooth now. 37FPS steady with no stutters over Seattle in the 172 at twilight. Settings mostly maxed out except reflections, texture quality is one down from max, and I'm using 4xSSAO+FXAA instead of maxing it at 8x. My GPU is a 970, so it's not a monster or anything.