Sign in to follow this  
bradbuddy

PMDG 737 & ActiveSky16

Hello everyone. Hoping for some help here. Have been getting some very erratic performance in turbulence from the 737 with AS16. It's gotten to the point where I have AS16 sliders nearly set to the bottom, or have to turn them off altogether. I'd love to get these two working together seemlessly, and just wondered what slider settings for AS16 people were using. Thanks in advance.

Brad Budz

I was reading on FlightSim Labs forum that FSX turbulence (in terms of Gs) is extremely severe; that reflects in their A320, where G load is shown (when excessive).
They suggested lowering the AS sliders in order to have a more realistic behavior.
I ended up using these settings, which seem to be good for all the add-ons I have.

Occasionally the 737 still has issues on the pitch axis (excessive variations); but it is good most of the times.

Cloud Options:

Maximum Cloud Turbulence: 15

Wind Options:

Maximum Wind Turbulence: 10
Turbulence Effect Scale: 10

Maximum Windshear: 60 (still did not have a chance to test it when WS reported)

Enhanced Turbulence: OFF
Maximum downdraft and updraft: 300fpm

I'm also interested to see if anybody has better settings.

Regards

Mike

Michele Galmozzi

devteam.gif

Thank you very much Mike. Your settings are very close to mine, though I have mine turned down about 5 lower. I've been getting this ridiculous gusts, if you can call them that, which will roll the plane over 10 degrees and 'kick' it off heading about 5 degrees and even a full alieron deflection won't stop it. Its so severe if you faced anything like that in real life you'd have to go around. Only I face it on every landing. Lol

That's weird, never had anything like this on the roll axis, just a "bouncy" pitch rarely.

Do you have the latest update of AS?

Could it be some spikes from your flight controls instead (joystick/pedals calibration)?

Ciao

Michele Galmozzi

devteam.gif

Are you sure it is turbulence and not wake effects? Wake turbulence is grossly overdone in all the AS products. FSUIPC goes a long way toward smoothing some of the more abrupt changes.

David Jones

Thank you very much Mike. Your settings are very close to mine, though I have mine turned down about 5 lower. I've been getting this ridiculous gusts, if you can call them that, which will roll the plane over 10 degrees and 'kick' it off heading about 5 degrees and even a full alieron deflection won't stop it. Its so severe if you faced anything like that in real life you'd have to go around. Only I face it on every landing. Lol

Sounds like the exaggerated wake turbulence that AS uses. Interestingly, even aircraft that are not moving are given wakes by AS, which often drift into your approach path if there's one holding short. For that reason, mine are turned all the way off.

Kyle Rodgers

Yeah the turbulence is way too much, I experienced the same thing so I just shut it off and lower cloud turbulence very low. Between 35 and 40,000 feet I was blowing all over the place

Angus Rowlands: i7 8700 RTX Asus Strix 2080, 16 GB RAM

I thought about the wake turbulence possibility so I tested it with wake off and bad no issues.

Eliminated controller and rudder issues, as if I turn off turbulence effects the problem is solved.

One other odd issue, when i have turbulence effects on, set at 5, in rougher weather the plane won't slow in level flight either. Was in level change trying to slow yesterday in head wind with speed break up and it's almost like it was defying every law of physics.

Perhaps if some of you are having no issues, I could just uninstall/reinstall. I appreciate everyone's time!

I could just uninstall/reinstall.

Not likely to fix anything, honestly.

Kyle Rodgers

Hello,

After much experimentation I came to settle on settings slightly lower than Mike's settings, and turned the wake turbulence completely down.  I am surprised they (Active Sky) let this get out the door since being slammed around the sky isn't a very enjoyable experience.  If you're not losing speed with throttles retarded during level flight, something sounds off- could your throttle 0 position be something higher?  Something is certainly amiss.

Mark Trainer

After much experimentation I came to settle on settings slightly lower than Mike's settings, and turned the wake turbulence completely down.  I am surprised they (Active Sky) let this get out the door since being slammed around the sky isn't a very enjoyable experience.  If you're not losing speed with throttles retarded during level flight, something sounds off- could your throttle 0 position be something higher?  Something is certainly amiss.

heheh, well, i'm not all that surprised they let it out the door, it's a rather enjoyable experience for me, i'm running pretty much with the defaults other than turning wake turb down to 35 and effect scale to 60. not sure why my results are so different from your guys' setups? i haven't tried calibrating it with a g-meter but i've never really seen oscillation that seemed very high, at least as long as i stay out of the thunderstorms. 

for the other part, i definitely have noticed that it is slower to decelerate in really turbulent air..epsecially with the 737 autothrottle controlling things... but i'm not really sure if that's due to the limitations of the fsx turbulence model in general or just a side effect of it being higher turb than before so it's more noticeable. in level cruise the autothrottle also tends to keep the plane a bit faster than the dialed up speed for example if i drop to .76 (turb penetration speed) it seems to settle around .77 or .775 with hvy turb.. in order to cruise at .76 i have to dial in .75..  not sure if that's realistic ...could also just be a side effect of the autothrottle being tuned for deafult fsx turbulence values or something..

edit: i also found that turning off 'enhanced' turbulence feels better with jahn's c-47 but i'm not sure if that is something with their flight model or what, it seems like something about that plane interacts strangely with it and gets an artificial feeling especially while turning.

cheers

-andy crosby

I thought about the wake turbulence possibility so I tested it with wake off and bad no issues.

Eliminated controller and rudder issues, as if I turn off turbulence effects the problem is solved.

One other odd issue, when i have turbulence effects on, set at 5, in rougher weather the plane won't slow in level flight either. Was in level change trying to slow yesterday in head wind with speed break up and it's almost like it was defying every law of physics.

Perhaps if some of you are having no issues, I could just uninstall/reinstall. I appreciate everyone's time!

As I mentioned in the other thread you posted this issue in-> http://www.avsim.com/topic/499147-as16-and-pmdg/#entry3523827

Open a support for ticket at the HiFiSim website and see if they can get you sorted out. If you've tried all the things I suggested in your other thread then seeking support via a ticket would be the best course of action. You might have had it solved by now.

Also when you start FSX you don't need to select the ASN weather in the FSX Weather section, you don't need to even open the FSX weather menu and do anything AS16 does all the work.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

in rougher weather the plane won't slow in level flight either

I've had this happen before.  I was inbound to KDAL one evening with thunderstorms in the area.  My descent had been stopped by ATC and I had been slowed to 180 KIAS for sequencing.   About that time I hit the outflow boundary from one of the cells, while in level flight and at flight idle, the airspeed indicator started to increase to about 210 KIAS before starting to slow again.    It happens. :smile: 

blaustern 

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Maybe the beginning of flying into a downdraft (initially higher airspeed readings, followed by a tailwind)?

Not sure how AS2016 has that effect programmed to work.

Mark Trainer

Maybe the beginning of flying into a downdraft (initially higher airspeed readings, followed by a tailwind)?

Not sure how AS2016 has that effect programmed to work.

Mark Trainer

Mine was real world, my apologies for not making it more clear. 

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam