Sign in to follow this  
Kuragiman

WHOA! So That's How You Do It!

What? It doesn't matter if you "shrink the window", the game still renders/processes at whatever resolution you set it to... all you're accomplishing is losing detail at no performance gain whatsoever...

I'm certainly not going to argue that.  I was just speculating why some claim that P3D runs better in a window than "full-screen" (when, in fact, "full-screen" is also a window).  If I'm wrong in assuming that the game engine down-scales the output to the actual pixel-resolution of the window (which I probably am), I can't think of any other explanation of why the game would run smoother in a "window" than "full-screen".

Carlos, help me out. Tell me how to do that. (Please be specific.)

Thanks.

Sure, you hust need to go into the option page, and in the graphics section at the top right you have a drop down to select the desired resolution.

Regards.

Sure, you hust need to go into the option page, and in the graphics section at the top right you have a drop down to select the desired resolution.

I'm confused, my FSX doesn't have a drop-down labelled 'desired resolution'. Does P3D? Maybe a picture would help.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

FSX in full screen with the half refresh tweak and Prepar3d in full screen with a 30hz monitor both run much more smoothly than windowed mode for me.

• Upvote 1

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

@_@   Just hit 60 FPS in the VC going from Payware KBNA to Payware KPNS.   FL 260.  Relatively clear sky.   Wow... never hit 60 FPS in the VC before.  I didn't think it could be done.    It was only there for a few minutes.  It's now floating between 45-50 at the moment.    Something is working.   No stutters either.  I do I have slight terrain blurries when around a lot of autogen buildings but once I get up past 10k everything turns razor sharp at LOD 5.5.      I am noting another little side effect too that is a negative.  FS2Crew sometimes now forces me to repeat myself when issuing commands.   Most likely because the CPU is so busy with processing such high frame rates.    I'll have to do another flight or two to see if the behavior persists.   Guess this is why they don't recommend running full out with no FPS locks but besides that, I am loving this ridiculous frame rate.   And just incase anyone things I am making stuff up or seeing things... *points below* 

54FPS.png

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Here is a screenshot:

Thank you. You have confirmed that you are talking about the full-screen resolution setting. As I already pointed out, this is meaningless when running in windowed mode.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

I bought a 4K monitor knowing full well that my eyes are no where close to that so I may give it a try.

Makes me wonder why you bought a 4K monitor...? Specially if you are going to use such low resolutions.

Makes me wonder why you bought a 4K monitor...? Specially if you are going to use such low resolutions.

As someone who uses a 4K monitor, I'd be wondering the same thing.  4K got me to get rid of nVidea Inspector and all but internal AA.  At 720p I'd think you'd need some pretty fierce AA...but maybe there's another trick.

• Upvote 1

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

And just incase anyone things I am making stuff up or seeing things... *points below*

54FPS.png

You have generated two pages of debate here by saying you are in windowed mode

and now you show a full screen screen-shot???

gb.

Its a well known fact running in windowed mode gives you better FPS.   I run every game in windowed mode.  But then i again i also do this so i can use other features like pull up charts, weather, etc. 

Don;t know about your other games but P3D for me gives the same frame rate whether windowed or full screen.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

It doesn't matter if you "shrink the window", the game still renders/processes at whatever resolution you set it to... all you're accomplishing is losing detail at no performance gain whatsoever...

Sorry that is just not correct.

In windowed mode the P3D/FSX resolution setting is ignored and the game will output the resolution needed to fill the window you are using. That resolution will vary depending on the dimensions of the window and the Windows set screen resolution. That resolution is output directly from the game and there is no Windows up/down scaling at all.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Thank you. You have confirmed that you are talking about the full-screen resolution setting. As I already pointed out, this is meaningless when running in windowed mode.

Wow.. are you for real?

There's no such thing as "full screen resolution".

The resolution is what the program renders at period. You can then additionally instruct a program to run either in a window or full screen

All you asked for is how to change resolution and that's what I showed you. Windows is something else and if you spent more time searching than beating around the bush you would have found your answer in 5 seconds:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/397152-forcing-fsx-to-launch-in-windowed-mode/

Anyway, I'm done wasting my time here...

Sorry that is just not correct.

In windowed mode the P3D/FSX resolution setting is ignored and the game will output the resolution needed to fill the window you are using. That resolution will vary depending on the dimensions of the window and the Windows set screen resolution. That resolution is output directly from the game and there is no Windows up/down scaling at all.

gb.

Haha, this really made me laugh just at how ridiculous of a statement it is.

Seriously, please quit spreading BS like this...

There's no such thing as "full screen resolution".

Well the screen shot you linked to says 'Full screen resolution'. And the equivalent screen in P3D v3.3 has 'Resolution' as an option under the legend 'Full screen settings'. This is basic, basic stuff and it's all in the documentation.

I'm sure this must be a wind-up, but just in case...

RTFM

Full Screen Settings

A computer screen is made up of tiny dots called pixels. The more pixels used to draw an image on screen, the higher its display resolution and the more detail visible. The numbers in the Full screen resolution list indicate the number of pixels displayed as well as the depth of color. For example, 1024 x 768 x 32 refers to 1024 pixels x 768 pixels x 32 million colors. A setting of 1280 x 720 x 32 will show more detail than a setting of 1024 x 768 x 32, and objects on the screen will also appear smaller. These settings only affect the display when running in full-screen mode, not in windowed mode. Only the resolutions supported by your video card will be displayed in the list. Experiment with resolutions to find the one that works best for you.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

This is basic, basic stuff and it's all in the documentation.

Exactly.

Don't know what planet Carlos has been living on lately.....

gb.

Well, on a lark, I tried the 720p thing.  FPS were indeed high but it looked really bad.  I'd have to use NI again to get it looking right which would pull the frames back down, at least some.  So, it's a tradeoff...might be a net gain on FPS at 720p with NI, but I'll leave that experiment to others.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM