Sign in to follow this  
Kuragiman

WHOA! So That's How You Do It!

After all these years in P3D... and struggling to get good FPS with the PMDG... I finally figured it out on my system....

1280 x 720.      I stream on Twitch/YouTube, which I can only stream at 720p.   So it got me thinking.. why don't i just put the sim in 720p also?   So I did that today, flying in windowed mode which still makes the view screen 1080p and I set my in-game resolution to 1280 x 720.   I just backed out of a payware airport with 45 FPS in the VC instead of 25 and had 60 FPS on the ground and in the air.    LOL...  and the great thing is... there is so very little difference in quality between 1080 vs 720 that I miss nothing about 1080 .... I am kicking myself for not trying this sooner.   I am in flight sim Heaven now!

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

I bought a 4K monitor knowing full well that my eyes are no where close to that so I may give it a try.

flying in windowed mode which still makes the view screen 1080p and I set my in-game resolution to 1280 x 720

Are you sure what you have done has made a difference? I don't have P3D but in FSX what you are calling 'in-game resolution' is actually 'full-screen resolution' and has no meaning when flying in windowed mode.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

What graphics card do you have ?

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I stream on Twitch/YouTube, which I can only stream at 720p. So it got me thinking.. why don't i just put the sim in 720p also? So I did that today, flying in windowed mode which still makes the view screen 1080p and I set my in-game resolution to 1280 x 720.

I tried it with my 4K screen, set to 4K in Windows, but set to 1080 in P3D and saw no difference in frame rates

compared to 4K in Windows and P3D.   :(

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Its a well known fact running in windowed mode gives you better FPS.   I run every game in windowed mode.  But then i again i also do this so i can use other features like pull up charts, weather, etc. 

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

1089p gives me way more frames than DSR at 4K. Windowed mode is also way better than full screen

Angus Rowlands: i7 8700 RTX Asus Strix 2080, 16 GB RAM

It's probably all just placebo.  I've always run in windows mode.   I don't know if this did it or something else changed but I am getting these frames now, regardless of what I did.    I usually run in Locked FPS mode through Nvidia Inspector @ 30 FPS.     I turned it off so I could see my maximum FPS and see if changing screen resolution would have any impact and I was seeing 45-50 in the VC and 60 outside the plane.   I did not use to get that with unlimited FPS and no locked.   It was more along the lines of 25-30 at payware and about 45 outside.    I have been in locked FPS mode for a long time so it could be that I changed something else and just THINK it's a screen res thing.   As stated, I really don't think this resolution setting has any effect when you are in windowed mode.   You have to phsycially change the size of your window to get a resolution change I believe.    I didn't get to do a flight yet fully unlocked (which is not recommended by a lot of people) to see how smooth the sim is.   I did takeoff from FSDT's KLAX and from Drew's KLGA, two areas that usually have terrible performance.    I had 40 FPS in the VC and KLAX and 30 at KLGA.     I usually have 25 at KLAX and 15-18 at KLGA so SOMETHING changed for the better on my end.    My in-game settings did not change.

What graphics card do you have ?

It's a GTX 980.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Its a well known fact running in windowed mode gives you better FPS

And yet, there is a full-screen mode  :mellow:

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

Are you sure what you have done has made a difference? I don't have P3D but in FSX what you are calling 'in-game resolution' is actually 'full-screen resolution' and has no meaning when flying in windowed mode.

Huh? Of course it does... not sure what you're calling "full screen resolution" but he's not doing that.. he's just stretching the window to fill the screen (or rather the monitor is scaling it) but the program (sim) is rendering at 720p, and it DEFINITELY has an effect of being faster...

Huh? Of course it does... not sure what you're calling "full screen resolution" but he's not doing that.. he's just stretching the window to fill the screen (or rather the monitor is scaling it) but the program (sim) is rendering at 720p, and it DEFINITELY has an effect of being faster...

Well, one of us is confused  :blink:

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

P3D has no full-screen mode.  Even if it's filling the whole screen, it's just a borderless window sized to take up the whole screen.

I guess it all makes sense.... Shrink the window and there's less pixels to push = better performance.  Reduce the resolution and the number of individual pixels are "virtually" reduced = better performance.

Reduce resolution and shrink window size below that resolution... fasten your seat-belts!

• Upvote 2

Well, one of us is confused :blink:

Well, it's not me... if you set the in game resolution to 720p, that's what it renders at, period. Nothing to be confused about on that...

P3D has no full-screen mode. Even if it's filling the whole screen, it's just a borderless window sized to take up the whole screen.

I guess it all makes sense.... Shrink the window and there's less pixels to push = better performance. Reduce the resolution and the number of individual pixels are "virtually" reduced = better performance.

Reduce resolution and shrink window size below that resolution... fasten your seat-belts!

What? It doesn't matter if you "shrink the window", the game still renders/processes at whatever resolution you set it to... all you're accomplishing is losing detail at no performance gain whatsoever...

This is similar

To howhigher end graphics cards can process at 4K since they have headroom, but then display at 1080p. Just because you show it at 1080p doesn't mean you get more performance, quite the opposite you get less in favour of better detail (that would be opposite the OP's case)

if you set the in game resolution to 720p, that's what it renders at, period.

Carlos, help me out. Tell me how to do that. (Please be specific.)

Thanks.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg