Sign in to follow this  
jbcallender

XP-11 Multiple Monitors Multiple Views

Is it possible in X-Plane to have separate views on each monitor as you can in FSX and P3D?  I like to fly with a cockpit view on one monitor and a spot or external view on the other monitor.

Jeff Callender

Jeff Callender

Hello all,

Lets go one step further here,  If you look at my profile and signature, you will note that I am running 6 mnitors/LED Displays.  I bought XPlane11 hoping like crazy that this could be duplicated as in my FS2004 set up.  I have tried the first beta  and my first observation was in setting up the controllers (Saitek yoke/throttle combo extra throttle quadrant trim wheel and rudder pedals.  All went well until I noticed that the attached throttle quadrant (for the yoke) I can adjust axis but nowhere is mentioned the three double switches (which I use all the time) It would appear that these cannot be assigned or I have done something horribly wrong. I say this because nobody else has even mentioned it as a problem.  

However, back to the topic (monitors)  I cannot for the life of me, find a way to utilise more than two monitors and I am even unsure that anything is undockable (as in the other sims) 

I would seriously like some further advice on this but, I do realize that it is a beta and things could change.  I am more than prepared to wait for the final product and will keep trying the betas as they are published. I am yet to have a fly but I do love the screenshots and videos submitted thus far.  

I live in hope and if anybody (ANYBODY) is running multiple monitors and is able to get some instrument panels docked to other screens I would very much like to hear from them.I currently have set my system up for the Boeing737 (IFly)

Anxious to hear from you all

Regards

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Hm as far as I know the multimonitor setup should work, even in the beta

! I have 3 screens running without problems ( did'n tried instrument panel on the 4th screen - at the moment massive fps lost)

Cheers

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D , watercooled, GeForce RTX 4090, RAM 64GB Kingston Fury 6000Mhz , Fractal Design 7 XL, MSI X670 Carbon, all SSD

The three switches don't show up in the calibration picture, but they show up as button 15, 16, and 17 I believe and are assignable.

I have 3 screens running without problems ( did'n tried instrument panel on the 4th screen - at the moment massive fps lost)

Same here. 3 monitors in NVIDIA Surround works just fine, but adding an instrument panel view on the fourth screen absolutely kills performance. Don't know how the guy in the video did that. I'm getting around 10 fps in that case (vs. 30-40 with just the triple monitor Surround view).

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

He is set up in XP-11 from the Graphics section, then has adjusted Monitor 1,2,3, from the pull down menus within those monitor sections. It works for me just fine but does take some trial and error on the adjustments. Once you understand what each adjustment does its not too hard. He has, as you can see a 4th monitor looking at instruments, that would be a FPS killer for me I think. I just use 3 monitors, over left wing, center cockpit view with instruments, and over right wing.  FPS at high altitude about 30-35 FPS, ramps, runways, and general low and slow about ohhhhh 20-30, no stutters and pretty smooth.

I do use a 4th monitor but that is strictly for maps,Plan-g, Pilot2ATC, and charts, and its plugged into the mother board video since I do not need speed for those. Other 3 monitors use the Display ports.

GTX 1070 8GB Ram.  i7 6700 4.2 ghz and 32GB Ram.

Chuck

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700KF CPU @ 4.90GHz  32.0 GB RAM Windows 11 Home NVIDIA RTX 3080Ti 12GB Multi monitors

WD SN850 M2 2TB PSU 1000W. 360 AIO.cooling.

Is it possible in X-Plane to have separate views on each monitor as you can in FSX and P3D?  I like to fly with a cockpit view on one monitor and a spot or external view on the other monitor.

Jeff Callender

I can't tell if anyone answered my original question.....I have not been able to figure out how to have one view on one monitor and a second view on the other.  If so, then how?

Jeff

Jeff Callender

Hi Guys,

My first thought is that the three monitors could well be used utilizing a Matrox triplehead2go using only the one output and achieving much the same thing,  In my case I would have to replace 2 x 32inch side view monitors and my 60inch monitor with 3 x 50 inch monitors and that is damnably expensive ... I already have, but do not use, a triplehead2go dp edition, for this reason.  I believe that all displays connected to the gadget have to be the same size and resolution.

However, that does not solve my problem and that is to assign instrument panels ie dockable (as in FS2004, FSX FSX-se and P3D) overhead displays, FMS/Lower DU display and the aft Electrical panel to other monitors. In fact, my system wholly depends on panels and/or views being dockable. I also note that a lot of new aircraft being developed for Flight Simming in general are moving away from this in favour of Track IR and the new VR systems.

Bear in mind that I would find it extremely difficult to depart from my multi monitor system, and my way of using it,  to only be able to use XPlane 11 for outside views.  Also, please note that because of performance issues, I cannot use my system in FSX, FSX-se or P3D which I cannot even open successfully, let alone being able to fly.

I guess the same applies to using Track IR 5 as well and if I utilized that, I would have to find a way to just scan laterally but still be able to use screens above and below for the instrument displays.

In conclusion, I fear that I am going to be a hard man to please and I guess I am fortunate in that I do still love my FS2004 ... the new graphics in the new sims are incredible though.

Regards to all

Tony Chilcott

Jeff,

I guess the short answer is "yes" and if you look at the referred link for Michael Browns' Youtube video it will answer your question.  However, I still do not know how to do it ... I just know it can be done and the video is proof of that.

May I further suggest after watching the video, you email the young man at the addy he lists on the video at the end.  I did but have yet to receive a response.  

I just hope that you are not in the same boat as I am in your multi screen requirements (see my previous post)

Regards

Tony 

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.