Sign in to follow this  
charlie130

Replacement MS TTS voices in MCE

I was looking at the commercial replacement voice packs for MS Anna yesterday. I came across something called CerProc, who are selling their voices in a sale for December. The others are way too expensive for my pocket!

Since MCE can use MS Anna as the TTS voice alternative to our MCE qualified first officers, I was wondering if the CerProc voices would work in MCE.

I read that there was some issues with CerProc voices "crashing" Windows, after just five instances (word executions). This is obviously useless for our needs in MCE....A first officer who goes to sleep after five commands!:-)

Anyone used any of these voices? Just curious really, my first officers are all too familiar with my quirky flying habits and wouldn't take kindly to a newbie stealing their glory!

Best regards

David

I never had a problem with Windows (Win7) crashing with Cereproc voices.

I can recommend Adam and Nathan. They sound very natural (voice rate set to faster) and I prefer them to the recorded voices. Not least because they really can say anything I like them to in my scripts.

Hi Folks,

This is of interest to me as well...

:wink:

I think I prefer MS Speech to the WAV's that are strung together...

I've looked at those Cereproc voices as well...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Just worth keeping in mind when shopping for those TTS voices...

MCE being a 32 Bit application, it will only load 32 Bit voices.

Therefore, do not buy voices that are marketed as 64 Bit only (they are for 64 Bit apps exclusively).

These days, most voices ship in 2 variants, 64 and 32 Bit, without needing to pay twice.

I never had a problem with Windows (Win7) crashing with Cereproc voices.

I can recommend Adam and Nathan. They sound very natural (voice rate set to faster) and I prefer them to the recorded voices. Not least because they really can say anything I like them to in my scripts.

May I ask how you installed it into MCE?

There is no exe file in the download to install it.

Do you do it manually?

Cheers

David

EDIT. That's OK. Apparently the user has to rename the download file to an .exe or it will not load.

Still it adds another First Officer, the question is how long will it take to re type on my fleet? :wink:

It's been a long time since I installed the voices; don't remember. No need to install in MCE specifically. MCE detected all my TTS voices automatically. So just install anywhere.

Hi Folks, This is of interest to me as well... :wink: I think I prefer MS Speech to the WAV's that are strung together... I've looked at those Cereproc voices as well... Regards,Scott

Hey Scott, I can confirm these CereProc voices work just fine and dandy with MCE! Once you rename the down load file to an executable, .exe it installed perfectly.

We have a very powerful flexible program here...No other program can give you so many options, both in voice choice and ability to customise your own flows and checklists. ;)

Cheers,

David.

Hi David,

LOL - MCE should pay you commission - uncle - you win - I think you've convinced me - I'll add it to my list and pick up a couple voices to boot (I better not pick Hannah - as I'll be "distracted" the whole time - Vr - huh - what - who - me ??? ) - dang this hobby is getting expensive...

So are there any plans to incorporate the FSW Lear 35A  - hmmmm ???

:Tounge:

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Hi David,

LOL - MCE should pay you commission - uncle - you win - I think you've convinced me - I'll add it to my list and pick up a couple voices to boot (I better not pick Hannah - as I'll be "distracted" the whole time - Vr - huh - what - who - me ??? ) - dang this hobby is getting expensive...

:Tounge:

Regards,

Scott

I just "bought" Jess! She's from my part of England so we "understand" each other....;) Sale is on until Christmas! Lorna will get jealous, so gotta be careful who's in the right hand seat!

Shhhhhh! Walls have ears!

Best regards

David

• Upvote 1

I have an issue with the free additional Microsoft Server Speech Text to Speech Voices.

I can select the voices in the MCE UI and they work fine in that session. When I close MCE the corresponding line in MCE.ini is (e.g.):

[VOICES]

Voice0 =Microsoft Server Speech Text to Speech Voice (en-US, ZiraPro),0,0,0,0

But when I start MCE the next time the line in MCE.ini changes to:

[VOICES]
Voice0 =Trav,0,0,0,1

and MCE starts with Trav as FO. I can reselect Zira and it works ok, but MCE does not remember this voice selection when it starts the next time.

The problem only occurs with the Microsoft Server Speech Text to Speech Voice (<name>) voices. All other voices including Cereproc and Ivona TTS voices are remembered correctly.

Any idea what might be the reason? Maybe the length of the name? I already wanted to change the name to a shorter one because the name can't be read fully in the MCE UI, but I didn't even find out in which folder theses voices are installed.

Thank you!

Ralf

Maybe the length of the name?

Indeed.

Probably memory buffer too short since this new name is very long.

Should be fixed in next release.

Thanks for bringing it up

is there a way to use the microsoft fsx voices? i think they have the best realistic sounds and if they could be imported that would be awesome

Indeed.

Probably memory buffer too short since this new name is very long.

Should be fixed in next release.

Thanks for bringing it up

Thanks!

Any chance to change the name of the installed voice as a workaround?

Thanks!

Any chance to change the name of the installed voice as a workaround?

No, that's not possible.

Because whatever name is written into the mce.ini must be found via the Windows registry. I mean it must match the exact name the voice installer put into the registry.

That name culled in MCE <Command> tab is just for aesthetics. It still has the full name behind the scenes.

MCE is saving the name correctly. The issue appears to be when reading it on start-up, and after looking-up the name, it fails, and reverts to default voice.