Sign in to follow this  
Lucas777

What's the status of flight simulation software?

Hey, I've been away from flight sims for a while, can you guys share what has been going on?

Is there any new platform? Does people still use FSX? Did P3D succeed in rewriting FSX core improving its performance/stability?

Thanks in advance for the updates!

Get FSX Steam, it's much better. I don't know a thing about P3D. There are a number of great add-ons too numerous to mention. Have fun.

FSX Steam is good if you can get it on sale.  The Steam Xmas sale should be coming up so you may not have long to wait.

Having said that, P3D is the future and the way to go.  You can spend months reading through threads here (and you should).

• Upvote 1

FSX Steam is good if you can get it on sale.  The Steam Xmas sale should be coming up so you may not have long to wait.

Having said that, P3D is the future and the way to go.  You can spend months reading through threads here (and you should).

I dunno how clear it is that P3D is the future. XP11 seems like it may be interesting in the long term. 

• Upvote 2

Alright guys thanks for the feedback, but, is FSX Steam a improved version of FSX Acceleration?

I mean, in terms of performance and stability.

For now, I would agree that FSX:SE is the way to go.  There are a few things in flux, but it will likely be sometime before we see anything that should cry loudly for a move from FSX:SE.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Hey Guys,

I believe that in the interim, FSX-SE is a sound choice (particularly based on a sale  price.  P3D is, I believe more advanced and may require a better system.\

However, if not in any great hurry, I would very much advise a look at the new XPlane11 demo and or wait for what I believe, is an imminent 64bit P3D and indeed imminent 64 bit FSX-SE.

I believe that in six short months we could all well be looking at a whole new world of Flight Simulation.  Holding off also offers the advantage of starting off fresh with 64bit add-ons and not having to buy and then replace the 32bit stuff with 64bit.

I hope this is a reasonable viewpoint and would point out that it is my point of view only.

Good luck with any decision you make

Regards

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Hey Guys,

I believe that in the interim, FSX-SE is a sound choice (particularly based on a sale  price.  P3D is, I believe more advanced and may require a better system.\

However, if not in any great hurry, I would very much advise a look at the new XPlane11 demo and or wait for what I believe, is an imminent 64bit P3D and indeed imminent 64 bit FSX-SE.

I believe that in six short months we could all well be looking at a whole new world of Flight Simulation.  Holding off also offers the advantage of starting off fresh with 64bit add-ons and not having to buy and then replace the 32bit stuff with 64bit.

I hope this is a reasonable viewpoint and would point out that it is my point of view only.

Good luck with any decision you make

Regards

Tony Chilcott

Wait there is going to be a 64 bit FSX-SE? I thought that wasn't happening.

Hello again,

I believe there is going to be.  Its release was originally scheduled before the end of this year but has been delayed.

There has also been a lengthy pause in any details coming from Dave Martin (Dove Tail Group) but very recently he stated that there would be a news update in the new year.

One can only assume that it will be about a new release date and not one that reveals DTG has folded its 64bit  plans due to the imminent release of XPlane 11 and the rumored P3D 64bit release.

We are all agog and as I said the next 6 months could be a completely new Flight Sim scenario.

If you are keen to get started though, I would recommend FSX-SE from a price viewpoint.

Good luck again 

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Hi Tony, that seems promising, I can wait I'm not in a hurry.

I just need a platform that include a SDK because I plan to build some panels.

Not sure if that the case of Xplane.

What is the best platform is dependent on how much money you have to spend

FSX Steam you can find on a Steam sale for 4.99 often and more compatibility, it's a better version of FSX Acceleration

P3D is the future and a better choice but you need more money, it's more expensive for the base package and almost every addon charges you more for their P3D version.

Wait there is going to be a 64 bit FSX-SE? I thought that wasn't happening.

No, there will be no 64bit FSX:SE.

Dovetail has said that it will be bring out it's own simulation sometime (maybe) in the new year. This, it is said, will be a 64bit product.

They have already released Dovetail Games Flight School, basically as a teaser for their forthcoming sim. Flight School cannot be expaned with add-ons, & is basically a standalone game.

Dovetail has said that development of FSX:SE has been frozen!

Martin, from Dovetail has said:We are fully committed to supporting FSX: SE for the foreseeable future U.C.Y.I.M.D.BEST! and we are focused on expanding the current choice of content available to simmers. This includes bringing new exclusive content to Steam. Currently, we have no further plans to update FSX: SE any further.
- Martin

So, DTG only have the rights to distribute FSX on the Steam platform, alongside the rights to make very minor changes.

Lockheed Martin purchased the rights to FSX - which is why P3D is basically FSX, but vastly improved -

The state FSX: SE is in now, is how it'll remain.

So, P3D has been upgraded/updated about 8-9 times, as compared to FSX:SE, which is basically FSX with it's service packs, upgraded to work better on modern PC's.(& will, eventually be released in a 64bit version)

So, what else is there?

X-Plane 11, just released, lookes pretty decent.

Flightgear: Actually quite a good freeware simulation, & worthy of a look.

Oh, as far as a 64bit sim based on FSX goes, no-one really knows it there will be compatibility issues between current 32bit add-ons & a 64bit sim. The best way to resolve this, is to regard a 64bit sim as a totally new sim, with new add-ons.

Just a few of my thoughts.

Cheers,

Robin

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Robin,

Very well put Sir.

I was referring to the FSX-SE replacement (whatever they call it) but you explained (NOT XPlaned lol) it all so much better.  I doffs me hat to you.

As you say, it may well be a completely new sim and it WILL be 64 bit and it MAY be worth waiting for.  I guess that, that was my main thrust to the OP.

Regardless, and again, my main point was the incoming new stuff which is so exciting and is worth waiting for.  

Regards to you all

Tony

Tony Chilcott.