Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Oom but not out of memory!

Can anyone help with this as I am completely flumoxed! Since moving to FSX-SE, following a brand new install, and an upgrade to i7 6700 not OC. With 16Gb RAM 3200Mhz and a GTX 770 4gb, I have had numerous OOMs, which I never had with FSX. Now today, i loaded the A2A 182 at Orbx Harvey Field in PNW. Autogen Dense, LOD at 6.5 all the usual things turned down, nothing different from previous flights. Within 30 seconds of climbing into the cockpit, the dinging bell started to suggest an OOM. When I looked at Process Explorer it was showing just shy of 2,7Gb. Very odd. Anyway, I closed everything down and fired up the sim again. This time I reduced LOD to 6. Ah I thought, that must be the problem, although I am still perplexed as to why process explorer was showing less that 2.8 memory usage. I continued my flight west towards Sequim valley airport, about 50 miles away. When I got close to landing, the bell started to ding again and I got those typical graphical spikes climbing out of the ground. Just prior to seeing the sim crash, I switched from fullscreen into windowed to see process explorer showing the same memory usage as before, except maybe 2.9 or so. What on earth has gone on here? Can anyone offer some help with this, as it seems to be happening a lot. Cheers. 

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Hi Howard,

Which number are you looking at in the Process Explorer?

There's a lot of different numbers that you can show there, for example Private Bytes, Working Set etc.

However the only number that really matters is ​Virtual Size.

So far I've never seen an OOM with significantly lower numbers.

But this number will also be quite a bit higher than the other numbers reported, as it includes not only what actually is in main memory but all addresses that are assigned to FSX. Thus as soon as it get's somewhat close to 4 GB it will crash.

Hope that helps,

Best,

David

David

FSX User / Into Addons with deeper Systems Modeling / Love planes and airports and ATC

pf3-supporter.gif

Can anyone offer some help with this, as it seems to be happening a lot. Cheers. 

Hi Howard, 

If you have FSUIPC4, would be to turn VAS monitoring on.   Instructions are in one of the messages, but I'm not sure if it works in the freeware version.

It won't solve your problem, but it will give you an idea of the remaining VAS, so you can see at what point in your flight VAS is being consumed.

Other than that, my method of troubleshooting is a bit painful because it involves elimination then the gradual re-introduction of settings and add-ons.

Ernie

• Upvote 1

Ernest Pergrem

Here's a great explanation of what your are seeing.    http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a108/vas-management-stopping-out-of-memory-oom-errors.aspx

You may want to investigate the procedure for increasing your computer's VAS.  (Virtual Address Space)

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Thanks for the replies fellas. What In don't understand, is why I am getting OOM when prrocess explorer is showing less than 3gb used. Whether private bytes or working set, which I have no idea what they mean! I guess I'll have to Google. I've never had this issue previously. 

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Thanks for the replies fellas. What In don't understand, is why I am getting OOM when prrocess explorer is showing less than 3gb used. Whether private bytes or working set, which I have no idea what they mean! I guess I'll have to Google. I've never had this issue previously. 

Just making sure: The column named Virtual Size matters nothing else (as for the numbers. If that approaches 4 GB it doesn't matter if any other number is at 2.9GB. I quickly checked on my FSX when I load some somewhat VAS heavy aircraft: Working Set 2.0 GB and Virtual Size 2.7GB. It's very likely this difference increases over time).

As for the cause: Is it since you've moved to FSX:SE? Or Only since the HW upgrade?

If it's the move to fsx-se.. it's probably some setting they introduced newly or changed default value for some cfg setting.

Maybe also check on the ORBX forum if there was any update of the libs and other people reporting problems?

The Hw upgrade I can't imagine causing such troubles, unless a lot of RAM was damaged but I think that you would have realized.

It seems strange in any case.

Here's a great explanation of what your are seeing.    http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a108/vas-management-stopping-out-of-memory-oom-errors.aspx

You may want to investigate the procedure for increasing your computer's VAS.  (Virtual Address Space)

There is no way to increase VAS as it is simply how many addresses FSX has to address. A 32 Bit application has 2^32 -> ~4 GB of possible addresses.

And with his HW we can assume he doesn't physically exhaust the memory + page file (unless he runs some very memory heavy process at the same time as FS but I'm sure that is not the case)

David

FSX User / Into Addons with deeper Systems Modeling / Love planes and airports and ATC

pf3-supporter.gif

OK, fellas. thanks for all the help. A little further reading and I think I'm sorted. I am now reading process explorer properly.  I think Dovetail must have changed some code or other in SE. I will do some further tests and see how I get on. Cheers.

• Upvote 1

Howard

Hi,

check for the "uiautomationcore.dll" stuff online. There's a youtube video by 28R Flight with a very elegant solution. It worked for me and I had the same problems - FSX stopped working on a new i6700K with Win10.

Mark

Hi,

check for the "uiautomationcore.dll" stuff online. There's a youtube video by 28R Flight with a very elegant solution. It worked for me and I had the same problems - FSX stopped working on a new i6700K with Win10.

Mark

As far as I understand, this fix is for crashes due to unstable menu use in FSX. Thanks.

Howard

Exactly, Rockliffe.

I found using appcrashview that the culprit was the uiautomationcore.dll module every time FSX chrashed, regardles whether I used menus or not, so I assume that "UI" refers to "User Interface" in a more broad context than just clicking the menus.

Thanks

Mark

If we look in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX" we see UIAutomationCore.dll version 6.0.6001.18000 which is installed with FSX:SE.

If we run FSX boxed we should have UIAutomationCore.dll version 6.0.5840.16386 located in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X". It won't cause any crashes as some might suggest, unless we put the wrong version there, however it will cure certain crashes including the menu usege issues in boxed FSX.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

If we look in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX" we see UIAutomationCore.dll version 6.0.6001.18000 which is installed with FSX:SE.

If we run FSX boxed we should have UIAutomationCore.dll version 6.0.5840.16386 located in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X". It won't cause any crashes as some might suggest, unless we put the wrong version there, however it will cure certain crashes including the menu usege issues in boxed FSX.

Spot on Steve. The UIAutomationCore.dll version that comes with FSX-SE is in fact incorrect. But these crashes have nothing to do with OOM errors.

Howard

Spot on Steve. The UIAutomationCore.dll version that comes with FSX-SE is in fact incorrect. But these crashes have nothing to do with OOM errors.

Yes even when you have a lot of available VAS you can still get an OOM error whereby code tries to use more than is free. So you are saying the UIAutomationCore.dll version that comes with FSX-SE is in fact incorrect, so did you remove it? The Dovetail site states "UIAutomationCore.dll work-a-round is now supplied by default with Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition. This fixes a number of crashes relating to UI interaction on 64-bit versions of Windows."

I felt since those UIAutomationCore.dll problems are probably all fixed in FSX:SE I thought to point it out that this new file is included, such as to suggest it's likely not that causing your issues. Have you tried running with any addons disabled?

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Yes even when you have a lot of available VAS you can still get an OOM error whereby code tries to use more than is free. So you are saying the UIAutomationCore.dll version that comes with FSX-SE is in fact incorrect, so did you remove it? The Dovetail site states "UIAutomationCore.dll work-a-round is now supplied by default with Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition. This fixes a number of crashes relating to UI interaction on 64-bit versions of Windows."

Sure, I have read several threads about this. I have removed it on my Steam edition after experiencing a crash one flight in from a  fresh install!.The one that comes with FSX-SE should be replaced with version 6.0.5840.16386. Of course this is not a tweak but a fix. As with other 'fixes'It shouldn't be used unless crashes are experienced.

Howard

Yes even when you have a lot of available VAS you can still get an OOM error whereby code tries to use more than is free.

^

This.

As an app runs for a long period of time, the VAS becomes fragmented. There may be a considerable amount of  VAS available, but each block is too small to accommodate a request to allocate memory and the sim crashes. It may not even show the OOM dialog box.