Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Oom but not out of memory!

The second problem that can a cause a OOM is VAS fragmentation , if an addon requests a big allocation and cant get a contiguous memory block of the VAS it is also an OOM

:sad:

• Upvote 2

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Simple remedy would be to return to LOD=4.5   :wink:

Little visual impact, but big VAS impact..

In Orbx regions, LOD=4.5 is an automatic choice for me..

Bert

I am confused about the 2 versions of the automation dll file now that I am running FSX steam this year for the first time. Leave the 18000 version unless you get some type of crashes by going in the menus?

Sure, I have read several threads about this. I have removed it on my Steam edition after experiencing a crash one flight in from a  fresh install!.The one that comes with FSX-SE should be replaced with version 6.0.5840.16386.

Of course this is not a tweak but a fix. As with other 'fixes'It shouldn't be used unless crashes are experienced.

I'm sure you won't improve on 6.0.6001.18000 that comes with FSX:SE by replacing it with 6.0.5840.16386 unless it had already been exchanged for something else incorrect, usually it's one from the default system files which is called when there is none fond in the FSX folder. With FSX:SE it would be replaced with the default in the event of a file cache check as well. But that's not likely to be anything to do with your OOM problem. You can use less VAS with DX10 preview, specially with bigger monitors but your problem may possibly be an error in an addon that perhaps doesn't like FSX:SE when it appeared to be OK on FSX boxed for example.

I am confused about the 2 versions of the automation dll file now that I am running FSX steam this year for the first time. Leave the 18000 version unless you get some type of crashes by going in the menus?

I'm not surprised. When you got a 64bit Windows and run FSX boxed, you might have experienced crashes when selecting items in the ALT menu at the top of the main FSX view. The problem was that the UiAutomationcore.dll that comes with the new O/S is not strictly compatible with FSX. The fix was to put the older 6.0.5840.16386 into the FSX program files folder. The reason that is done is because the app looks in its own folder first for the dll, if it's not found there then it uses the system version. With FSX boxed it doesn't ordinarily have one, but FSX:SE comes with a range of fixes, including shipping with it's own UiAutomationcore.dll.

Part of the reason such confusion reigns is that folk were putting the one they found on their system into the FSX folder and it fixed nothing.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

:sad:

If you can get it fixed, there's another sim getting lots of buzz lately. :smile:

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Rockliffe, in Steam edition VAS management is greatly improved, it could be something else. With Steam, i'm using for the very first time TML=4096 and Lod Radius 6.5, and i still have arround 1GB VAS left after long haul with PMDG 777 over ORBX Global / Vector / OpenLC + some REX textures / AS16 + ASCA, and of course at least two active payware airports.

Good point about UiAutomationcore.dll, steam default one didn't worked well for me. I had some random crashes / freeze, and they stoped after replacing steam default 6.0.6001.18000 with 6.0.5840.16386 version.

In process explorer, in "View" menu click on "select columns" and there you can check what you want to be displayed by default. You will find "Virtual Size" in "Process Memory" tab.

Anyway, check FSUIPC log for VAS usage if you are unsure about process explorer(FSX main folder / Modules / FSUIPC4.log). You can post / attach some AppCrashView log if you want, i'm curious about what happens :)

about UiAutomationcore.dll, steam default one didn't worked well for me. I had some random crashes / freeze, and they stoped after replacing steam default 6.0.6001.18000 with 6.0.5840.16386 version.

Before everyone changes it out for the old dll, this may be hiding a problem rather than stopping on it. In any case there's got to be something different about a setup that works different than with the supplied one. It's possible you're loading something that depends on it in dll.xml, but it seems unlikely.

Rockliffe, in Steam edition VAS management is greatly improved, it could be something else. With Steam, i'm using for the very first time TML=4096 and Lod Radius 6.5, and i still have arround 1GB VAS left after long haul with PMDG 777 over ORBX Global / Vector / OpenLC + some REX textures / AS16 + ASCA, and of course at least two active payware airports.

Good point about UiAutomationcore.dll, steam default one didn't worked well for me. I had some random crashes / freeze, and they stoped after replacing steam default 6.0.6001.18000 with 6.0.5840.16386 version.

In process explorer, in "View" menu click on "select columns" and there you can check what you want to be displayed by default. You will find "Virtual Size" in "Process Memory" tab.

Anyway, check FSUIPC log for VAS usage if you are unsure about process explorer(FSX main folder / Modules / FSUIPC4.log). You can post / attach some AppCrashView log if you want, i'm curious about what happens :)

Hi Zeljko, sure, one of the reasons I stuck with FSX, or should I say, move to SE, was the reported improved VAS management. But that has not been my experience. I have had more problems with OOM than ever before. However, I have increased the LOD, but only to 6.5. I have never, ever run out of VAS in a GA aircraft before. I have always found A2A aircraft really efficient too. I think there is something else going on. I don't know what it is. Why should process explorer show less than 3gb use but yet I get an OOM? Something else that has also happened, is loading a flight at KLAX in the NGX, and within 20 seconds of the aircraft loading, the OOM bell starts to ring, followed by a crash! I will do some further tests today I think.

If you can get it fixed, there's another sim getting lots of buzz lately. :smile:

:wink: Yeah, I have it here. I will be installing P3D shortly. I have to admit at being less than enthusiastic, having tried it twice before, with less than impressive results. But I am prepared (oops sorry) to give it another go.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

:wink: Yeah, I have it here. I will be installing P3D shortly. I have to admit at being less than enthusiastic, having tried it twice before, with less than impressive results. But I am prepared (oops sorry) to give it another go.

X-Plane 11. :wink:

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

X-Plane 11. :wink:

Ah, you fooled me Jose  :wink: hmm, I have considered that also, but.... maybe sometime when they get the clouds, water, AI atc sorted I may consider it.

Howard

Another option would be using DX10 mode. You'll still get OOMs, but far less frequently.

Hi Bjoern, sure, I've tried DX10 about three times now, each time with little success. It seems I cannot use two monitors, as every time I want to drag a panel to the second monitor and resize it, the thing freezes.

Howard

Hi Bjoern, sure, I've tried DX10 about three times now, each time with little success. It seems I cannot use two monitors, as every time I want to drag a panel to the second monitor and resize it, the thing freezes.

Just gave this a try. Undocked a 2D panel, pulled it to my second monitor and resized it. The window went black, but FSXSE didn't crash or freeze and after I had right-clicked it, the window content was drawn correctly again.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Seems DX9 or DX10 don't work properly there. Have you tried running the sim stock to eliminate your unknowns? A process of elimination is required to fault find these problems.