Sign in to follow this  
basementflyguy

OK, Richard Sennett

Your posts on XP11 have convinced me to give it a real go. I downloaded the beta last week and spent some time with it, but gave up after conflicting yoke inputs, and an inability to get the eyepoints for three screens right for my rig. But you've convinced me to keep at it.

I'll take any advice from XP experts on how to get my visuals right in a single PC environment (I won't run multiple instances). For those not familiar with my rig, you can see it in the video at the bottom of the post. In P3D I set up separate eyepoints for the front and side views so that my horizon lines up, you can see the wings, cowl, and prop, but none of the VC. So far in the multi-window view in XP11 I've gotten close but no joy, as the eyepoint is linked across all three screens - if I move the eye forward on the front screen so I don't see the VC, it brings the side of the cabin into view out the side windows, etc. I got advice that I could use planemaker to make parts of the aircraft invisible, but no joy in making that happen so far.

But I love the idea of running XP11 (and the Airfoil 172) in the sim, and want to make it happen. Rich, you have, as you have before, inspired me.

For those who might give advice on the screen setup, my rig looks like this (and I can't just run a single view across the three windows or the horizons don't match up - tried that already):

• Upvote 5

BasementFlyGuy

GA home cockpit running X-Plane 11 (and sometimes P3D)

Blog: www.ontheglideslope.net

YouTube: OnTheGlideslope Channel

Facebook: On The Glideslope

Your posts on XP11 have convinced me to give it a real go. I downloaded the beta last week and spent some time with it, but gave up after conflicting yoke inputs, and an inability to get the eyepoints for three screens right for my rig. But you've convinced me to keep at it.

Well I am a newbie at the moment so not sure how to do this for that matter in P3D also - have you gone to x-plane.org - they are the pros - not sure how to search your problem - maybe you could post what that search text would be and I can search also - hope you can get it working as it should be stunning on your large screen

Rich Sennett

I'll take any advice from XP experts on how to get my visuals right in a single PC environment (I won't run multiple instances). For those not familiar with my rig, you can see it in the video at the bottom of the post. In P3D I set up separate eyepoints for the front and side views so that my horizon lines up, you can see the wings, cowl, and prop, but none of the VC. So far in the multi-window view in XP11 I've gotten close but no joy, as the eyepoint is linked across all three screens - if I move the eye forward on the front screen so I don't see the VC, it brings the side of the cabin into view out the side windows, etc. I got advice that I could use planemaker to make parts of the aircraft invisible, but no joy in making that happen so far.

But I love the idea of running XP11 (and the Airfoil 172) in the sim, and want to make it happen. Rich, you have, as you have before, inspired me.

For those who might give advice on the screen setup, my rig looks like this (and I can't just run a single view across the three windows or the horizons don't match up - tried that already):

XP 11 is in beta 2. What works today, might not work in beta 3.

How can we help you? Let's take it one step at a time.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

First step is screen config. If I can't manage to get the immersive "out the windows" views it's a non-starter. I've gotten close but not there yet. Working the XP forums now. I'll keep y'all posted. I flew XP on the Mac for years before building the basement sim. Looking forward to flying it again.

BasementFlyGuy

Trying to do the same thing: I was able to get a great (-80 degree) view on the left screen in the 747....but performance suffered enormously, so I ditched it. Also, it went into full-screen mode; so is that by default I wonder? Anyway I'll be playing with this and watching any progress.           

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

I don't have experience with multiple monitors, but the correct way to line up the points of view is in the "Visual Offset" menu in the "Graphics" settings.

Oo5lOsC.jpg

Ideally you should have 3 visual offsets, one for each of the monitor, but I don't know what will you get in the graphics settings when you have more than one monitor plugged.

EDIT: Ok, as I supposed, you should get one tab with visual and offset options for each monitor you have plugged in. You can see it here, from time 2:50 and on:

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Doesn't solve the problem. I in essence need a different eye point for each screen ...

Sorry do not know much about this subject - you do thats for sure after building that setup   :wink: keep at it be worth the time

Rich Sennett

I in essence need a different eye point for each screen ...

I have some experience with running X-Plane in a networked setup where you have individual channels for each view. With X-Plane 11 you can now drive multiple screens independently from one instance of X-Plane (in the past this required either running multiple instances of X-Plane on 1 computer or uses multiple computers running separate copies of X-Plane).

Basically you will need to modify the lateral offset values in the Graphics settings, there are other offsets to control the view if you have some other odd visual settings.

I would *highly* recommend reading the online manual to understand how to use the offsets correctly to set up your screens http://x-plane.com/manuals/desktop/index.html#configuringamulti-monitorsimulator (btw I've seen your videos, pretty cool setup and I'm pretty confident you will be able to replicate your setup in X-Plane). 

Just be aware that X-Plane 11 is a bit of a beast at the moment, ideally you should run this networked where the visuals are running separate from your main flight model. Although this would require at least 4 computers, these computers don't have to be super powerful -- mid-level computers for the visuals would be sufficient, and a lower-mid-level for the flight model running a built-in graphics card is enough for the master computer (this one can have everything set to minimum, we really don't need it's display). Unfortunately this does add up, but food for thought if you go further with X-Plane.     

Doesn't solve the problem. I in essence need a different eye point for each screen ...

That's what you can do with the visual offsets, you can move the eye point in position and angles for each monitor.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I spent time with the offsets prior to posting this. The problem is that while the offsets permit different angels of view for each screen, those angles of vew remain tied to a single eyepoint. This becomes evident if you pan the front view with the hat swtich - all three views move together. For my rig (and other rigs like it) to look immersive, one should not see any of the virtual cockpit other than the wings, cowl and prop. For that to happen I basically need the left eyepoint to be close to the left window, the right to be close to the right window, and the front to be up a bit vertially and forward so you see the cowl and prop but not the glareshield and panel. After that the offsets and different fields of view (which are in essence a zoom that allows me to account for different physical screen sizes) work great for aligning the horizon across the three views.

I've gotten close, but the correct eyepoint for the front view still shows the side of the cabin out the sides, and the correct eyepoint for the sides shows the VC out the front.

Seems like it should be such a simple thing: create a new view, make it of whatever you want, and drag it whatever you want. Something I've been able to do since, what, FS 2004 or earlier? But I can't do it in XP, at least not so far, without buying four PCs. No thanks on that.

I think the way to crack it is to use PlaneMaker.exe to make parts of the fuselage invisible. If I can get that figured out we might be there - I'll just "turn off" the parts of the airplane I don't want to see (although that would make external screenshots not so attractive). I have an active post over at x-plane.org. I'll keep everyone posted, and thanks again for the help.

BasementFlyGuy

I think the way to crack it is to use PlaneMaker.exe to make parts of the fuselage invisible. If I can get that figured out we might be there - I'll just "turn off" the parts of the airplane I don't want to see (although that would make external screenshots not so attractive). I have an active post over at x-plane.org. I'll keep everyone posted, and thanks again for the help.

You can easily do that, open the aircraft in Plane-Maker, go to menu "Standard"->"Viewpoint"->"Cockpit", and deselect "3-d cockpit view"  for "show cockpit object in...". This way, you won't see the virtual cockpit, but you'll see aircraft structure both when in a cockpit or external view.

You can easily do that, open the aircraft in Plane-Maker, go to menu "Standard"->"Viewpoint"->"Cockpit", and deselect "3-d cockpit view"  for "show cockpit object in...". This way, you won't see the virtual cockpit, but you'll see aircraft structure both when in a cockpit or external view.

Will that also turn off the sides of the cockpit (in essence, the walls), or just the panel?

BasementFlyGuy

Will that also turn off the sides of the cockpit (in essence, the walls), or just the panel?

Probably it turns off the whole 3d cockpit, but you'll see the external 3d model, but viewed from inside. It's easier if you just try it and see the results.