Sign in to follow this  
anitelite

XP 11 Eyepoint

Hello everyone....newbie to X-plane here.  quite impressed initially with the Beta.  after the Nvidia fix, runs quite well.   In FSX we have an "eyepoint" adjustment that can be done on the fly.  In high scenery areas, I am fond of running the autopilot and moving the horizon line up so that the sky takes up the top third of the screen and the land mass below takes up the bottom 2/3 rds.  So far, the only thing I've found in Xplane is using the arrow keys to move the cockpit panel up and down in a linear way, and the hat switch "tilts" up and down from a fixed pivot.  To date I'm not able to replicate what I did in FSX.  Is there some keypress or ctrl/alt+ command that I'm missing?

Thanks 

set you view to desired position then ctl + numkeypad# to set 

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

I'm not sure what you could do in FSX that you are saying you can't do here.

The arrow keys move the eye point up and down but they also move them left and right. Are you wanting to move it forward or back as well? That can be done as well. Check your keybindings.

you can do anything you like in xplane regards the camera view point.

1. You can move the camera up/down/left right linear via the arrows as you already realized. Pressing shift +arrows you do the same but faster

2. you can also move the camera back and forth. In my keyboard i do use , and .

3. you can also tilt the camera up & down is if you were rotating your head up or down. Check what keys you have assigned for that

4. Once you like different eyeviews, captains forward, pedestal, overhead, wing view, cabin, or whatever you can save them via num key + 0 to 9. You can pre-save 10 slots per aircraft. so pressing later 0 to 9 you put the camera right there exactly how you saved it.

Advice.

1. go to views menu all options are there

2. go to joystick & assignmet, keys tab, and assign all features to the keys of your preference. You will see there how they are assigned by default.

3. use quick look presets for commons view points you use 0-9, they are extremely powerfull and you can save/update them on the fly as many times as you like.

Manuel Merelles

you can do anything you like in xplane regards the camera view point.

1. You can move the camera up/down/left right linear via the arrows as you already realized. Pressing shift +arrows you do the same but faster

2. you can also move the camera back and forth. In my keyboard i do use , and .

3. you can also tilt the camera up & down is if you were rotating your head up or down. Check what keys you have assigned for that

4. Once you like different eyeviews, captains forward, pedestal, overhead, wing view, cabin, or whatever you can save them via num key + 0 to 9. You can pre-save 10 slots per aircraft. so pressing later 0 to 9 you put the camera right there exactly how you saved it.

Advice.

1. go to views menu all options are there

2. go to joystick & assignmet, keys tab, and assign all features to the keys of your preference. You will see there how they are assigned by default.

3. use quick look presets for commons view points you use 0-9, they are extremely powerfull and you can save/update them on the fly as many times as you like.

And one last thing you can set up your FOV in graphics settings on the right bottom side 

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

And one last thing you can set up your FOV in graphics settings on the right bottom side 

correct  :smile:

and you can also zoom in zoom out as well any camera view point

move the camera freely via mouse, very powerfull for preflight, cockpit scanning.

i do love xplane  :dance:

Manuel Merelles

sorry, i guess i didn't make it clear....in fsx if you remove the instrument panel you are left with a forward view that is approx top half sky and bottom half terrain.   By using the Q and shift Q keys, you can raise and lower the horizon line as desired.  That's the feature I can't seem to replicate.

Is it correct that none of the mentioned keys to change the view work with TrackIR?

so here is a screen shot from fsx. The top frame is the horizon view shifted upwards, the bottom frame is default when you just remove the instrument panel. This is the view adjusted by Q or Ctrl+Q

http://imgur.com/a/i4sq6

I am also new to XP but I think the easiest way to get that done on the fly is to press C to go to the free camera mode, press the up or down arrow briefly to get 'out of the plane' and then use the mouse to look down a bit. (Can't check right now of you have to press the right button in order to change the view with the mouse: just try it and you will see what works. I seem to remember you can simply look around by dragging the mouse). Afaik all other methods described here are for use with the cockpit view which is not what you want. The C view is very flexible and easy to use (also for checking out the scenery around you, like an airport). Simple press W to get back to the VC.

BTW You can also change on the options screen what happens when you press W: I think there also is an option that pressing W gives you an unobstructed ahead view without the panels. You might want to check that out too.

The camera mode in XP is very useful and you can get and save it in any position you like. The free camera mode is just that, completely free, so your plane will fly away from the camera. But whilst in the 3D cockpit you can use the arrows and "<" ">" and of course the mouse to get the exact position you like and then save the view. X-Plane will remember each view for each plane.

I think one thing XP does right is the cameras. I purchased a few ORBX airports yesterday in their sale and after firing up FSX, I just wanted to have a look around, and it was so incredibly difficult, I wished I had the simple free camera view (Perhaps there is one and someone call tell me how ;-)). I ended up using a combination of Slew Mode and looking with the mouse.

Is it correct that none of the mentioned keys to change the view work with TrackIR?

Jeroen,

Try X-Camera with TrackIR.  It is free (donationware) and allows you to set camera points from which your TrackIR will work or you can set a camera point on something you don't want to move by unchecking the TrackIR box.  Allows you to concentrate on a task such as FMC without jiggling.  Go to their site (stickandrudderstudios.com) and look at some of the videos to see how to take advantage of the many functions.  There are many that I do not use, but they are there.

John

John Wingold

you guys are awesome !!  Many thanks to Jeroen (and others , of course :) ) who pointed me toward the c camera view.  So by using c and then pressing both mouse buttons simultaneously and sliding the mouse forward, I get the horizon behavior that I'm after.  But doing that causes the sim to stop and freeze in that spot.  I tried using the CTRL+ 1 to assign it as a quick view, but I think I'm still not quite in step.  Suggestions ?

you guys are awesome !!  Many thanks to Jeroen (and others , of course :) ) who pointed me toward the c camera view.  So by using c and then pressing both mouse buttons simultaneously and sliding the mouse forward, I get the horizon behavior that I'm after.  But doing that causes the sim to stop and freeze in that spot.  I tried using the CTRL+ 1 to assign it as a quick view, but I think I'm still not quite in step.  Suggestions ?

From what I understand, what you want is a view (bound to the aircraft) where the cockpit is not visible and where you can change the angle of view (pitch). You could try X-Camera, maybe it allows you to do what you want:

https://www.stickandrudderstudios.com/x-camera/

If it allows you to set a view (bound with the aircraft, either internal or external) where you can freely roam the camera, then you could move the camera until it's before the nose of the aircraft, and then set the angle you like. This way, the aircraft will not be visible (being behind the camera) and you'll see only the horizon.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]