Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

MD-80

While I've heard a lot about XP's night lighting - does it actually "illuminate" objects ???

Hey Scott...

Look here.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/498547-grab-your-x-plane-11-beta-guys/?p=3516131

A pic is worth a thousand words (although I've been known to use 1000 words to describe what your seeing, LOL)

Trust me...the 1st time you taxi an airliner to a gate (in external view) and you see the terminal lights gradually illuminating 1st the nose, then the engine nacelles (unless its a rear engine plane hehe), then the wings, then see the shadows they cast on the ground...you may actually say "wow" out loud.  :wink:

Do yourself a favor Scott...grab the beta, or just drop the $60 for the full version.  You'll be getting the best default night lighting you'll ever see (and will NEVER see in the current 32bit sims), hands down the best default C172, 737-800 and MD-80 (those 3 planes alone are worth the $60), and a flightsim platform that is going nowhere but up as more and more folks get rolled into the XP avalanche.  :P

• Upvote 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Steve Dra.

I simply LOVE your work mate. and, I am sure many others do too.

Sorry Tony no time for repaints (day job) very busy nor do I use FS2004 or Ifly 747 - thanks for the kinds words

Rich Sennett

Hi Steve,

LOL - I trust your judgment fully...

:)

I'll take a gander...

I might have to try it - that's always been my biggest heartache with flying at night - you roll up under the lights and your aircraft is darker than dark while sitting in a pool of light statically painted on the ground texture...

Nice pic Rich and the MD-80 is my favorite tubeliner...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

then see the shadows they cast on the ground...

Hi Steve,

AFAIK, XP11 does not cast shadows from night lights, only daylight. That would be extremely expansive in term of performance. The aircraft you talk about on the linked screenshot is most certainly a static aircraft, and it's cast shadow is static as well.

Pascal

Hi Steve,
AFAIK, XP11 does not cast shadows from night lights, only daylight. That would be extremely expansive in term of performance. The aircraft you talk about on the linked screenshot is most certainly a static aircraft, and it's cast shadow is static as well.

Pascal

Hehe ok that may have just been my amazement at seeing the lighting in general and not looking closely at my actual aircraft's shadows. Either way, I'm continuously blown away at what I see at night compared to what I've been used to for the last few decades of simming.  :smile:

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

While I've heard a lot about XP's night lighting - does it actually "illuminate" objects ???

Yes, all landing lights and all lampposts illuminate scenery and other aircrafts. For example, when you're in the takeoff queue, you'll see landing lights of aircrafts illuminating the other aircrafts in front of them, and just before touchdown, a landing aircraft will be briefly illuminated when it passes in front of the beams of the aircraft hoding short.

I landed the B738 on a road to show you the capabilities of the global lighting, you can see it being illuminated by the road's lampposts:

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Steve Dra.

I simply LOVE your work mate. and, I am sure many others do too.

Sorry Tony no time for repaints (day job) very busy nor do I use FS2004 or Ifly 747 - thanks for the kinds words

Hey Rich, I think he was inquiring to me.  :wink:

Tony, much like Rich's response...while I have the iFly 747, I don't work in FS2004 any longer.  However, you are welcome to masters of my already painted planes to convert to 2004. (I'd just give you the flattened whole fuse sides to cut and apply to the livery maps).  I know there a lot of excellent painters who still work in 2004 though (Ed Cox :im Not Worthy: quickly comes to mind). 

Yes, all landing lights and all lampposts illuminate scenery and other aircrafts. For example, when you're in the takeoff queue, you'll see landing lights of aircrafts illuminating the other aircrafts in front of them, and just before touchdown, a landing aircraft will be briefly illuminated when it passes in front of the beams of the aircraft hoding short.

I landed the B738 on a road to show you the capabilities of the global lighting, you can see it being illuminated by the road's lampposts:

Scott...what he said! Hehe.  More accurately...what he SHOWED in the video.

Those light splashes you see at 21 seconds is the 737's taxi light as he bumps it left a few times.  Notice how it lights up the grass, the overhead sign, the guard rail, the car passing by....great stuff!

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Hey Rich, I think he was inquiring to me.  :wink:

Tony, much like Rich's response...while I have the iFly 747, I don't work in FS2004 any longer.  However, you are welcome to masters of my already painted planes to convert to 2004. (I'd just give you the flattened whole fuse sides to cut and apply to the livery maps).  I know there a lot of excellent painters who still work in 2004 though (Ed Cox :im Not Worthy: quickly comes to mind). 

Scott...what he said! Hehe.  More accurately...what he SHOWED in the video.

Those light splashes you see at 21 seconds is the 737's taxi light as he bumps it left a few times.  Notice how it lights up the grass, the overhead sign, the guard rail, the car passing by....great stuff!

You are correct Sir still a sleep  :wink: cool video 

Rich Sennett

Steve,

Thanks so very much for your response.  Sad for me but, in reality, I guess it was to be expected.  FS2004 is definitely on the wane.  Bright side of the coin is of course, XPlane 11, hopefully, the new DTG product and P3D in 64bit.  Great things coming.

Thanks again mate.

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Looks real to me, Rich...as everybody have said, great shots, indeed! :)

Hi Folks,

Regards,
Scott

Yes...one of the fun things to do...is taxi around your airport choice with lots of elements, and watch as you turn, your landing or taxi lights literally SWEEP across the objects.  It is truly a real-life effect. As you sweep, and your beam moves on, the elements,  planes, support equipment, buildings, whatever, goes dark....quite amazing.

Steve,

Apologies mate,  I also wanted to thank you for your Ed Cox referral and your offer of FSX repaints.  

At this time, I do not own the 747 but I am seriously thinking about it.  Also, I guess that if I knew anything at all about repaints, I would not have made the initial enquiry and that lack of knowledge also applies to converting  FSX to FS2004.  Is this a complicated process?  If not, and as previously stated, I just love your work and the effort would be well worth it. I have long been chasing a one off repaint for the 737 and I cannot see fruition coming with that little exercise.  

Anyway, again, thanks for your response and just that is very much appreciated.

regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Yes...one of the fun things to do...is taxi around your airport choice with lots of elements, and watch as you turn, your landing or taxi lights literally SWEEP across the objects.  It is truly a real-life effect. As you sweep, and your beam moves on, the elements,  planes, support equipment, buildings, whatever, goes dark....quite amazing.

It's quite amazing, isn't it? What's even more amazing is when you're landing at night and a rude pilot in one of the AI planes leaves his taxilight on as he holds short, filling your cockpit with light for a moment as you cross over the threshold. The lighting is one of the reasons I fell so hard for XP. I can't fly at night in P3D anymore because it's so unrealistic in comparison.