Sign in to follow this  
trimwheel

SimFlyer's EFBv1 Electronic Flight Bag

Guest Eagletail

The EFBv1 Electronic Flight Bag, by SimFlyer, looks pretty promising as an all-round kind of guage. See http://www.simflyer.net/efbv1.html Has anyone tried this out yet? What are the opinions out there on this? The moving map mode looks interesting, but I'm just wondering if a person has to download all kinds of maps in order to make this work. And, of course, the framerate would be necessary to look into. Please let me know if you have given this a try. Thanks!

I've been looking into this myself, but the description of what functionality the program actually has, is sketchy. I suspect it's nothing more than a pretty bitmap slapped around the default FS9 GPS and its moving map. From the description it's hard to tell what the added functionality might be (I suppose you could load Jeppesen charts into it).ricardo

Guest Eagletail

This is interesting, JJ. I didn't even know about this one. Have you tried out FSWidget's EFB? It's difficult to tell if this is something entirely new or whether it's simply based on default solutions.

The other link looks more interesting. It seems that once you have it installed it will read/load adobe pdf files. So, instead of having to flip through your paper-based aircraft manuals, you can simply read them through this "electronic flight bag". Not sure how the weather function works and whether or not loading metars into the flight bag is going to effect/conflict with active sky. Also, some addons that allow you, for example, to access the web while in flight are a little finicky. I might give this a try. Might make a good addition to eaglesoft's biz jets. ricardo

I've been using FSWidgets EFB for awhile now. It's proving to be a worthy add-on, as stated, you can view PDF files for manuals and checklist, even create your own custom voice checklists for any aircraft ( some have already been uploaded at the site ). The wx and web interface allows any URL or jpg. based image to be stored and accessed easily. You can underlay Sectional charts to the moving map which is pretty cool. The ability to customize and make the data pertinent to your needs is what makes this work for me. Worth the $20 IMHO.cheersgreg http://www.fs2crew.com/linepilot.jpg

Thanks for the added info. Can you access this flight bag from within FS9, or do you have to alt tab out of it to get to it. Obviously, you would preferably want to have the "illusion" of actually having a flight bag in your cockpit.ricardo

Ricardo,EFB runs like a module in FS so the only way to access it is when FS is running. Bryan York has made available, as a download at the site, a simple guage toggle to access the program instead of using crt-shift Z.Oh, and you mentioned Eaglesoft, a very detailed verbal checklist for the CitationX is available :-)cheersGreg http://www.fs2crew.com/linepilot.jpg

Greg,thanks. I bought it and downloaded all the additional files. works really well and is a great tool. Well worth the $19.95, IMHO.ricardo

Guest Bud

I too was interested in this and also regret the very little information which is available. I've looked at the FS Widgets version but found that it will not read the charts I have - wrong format. It is difficult to get further info on the Simflyer version - product support is only provided through their forum. I tried to register but failed to receive an activation email. Contacting the site administrator to query this proved difficult because to do so it is necessary to quote a password. Can't do that because the account is not activated!!!Hope the product is better than the site admin.Bud

As I've mentioned already, I downloaded the demo of FSWidget's flightbag adn immediately bought the unlock code. Fermin Fernandez, the Australian developer, offers immediate and helpful support, and seems very open to suggestions for future upgrades. This product has been out no more than 2 months, and there are already a number of additional items available: audible checklists, weather links, a gauge file, etc. It's hard to tell from the low-rez screenshots, what, in contrast, the Simflyer version brings to the table. Plus, having to buy the product, before you can see a video about it? Give me a break. ricardo

Guest sbdwag

The problem I have with SimFlyers product is while they seem to be quick to product products with minimal functionality the seem to be very slow to fix issues with existing products.I purchased a product from them that updates on the popup and not on the vc both have to be updated seperatly. I noticed that a few people complained over a year ago about this and to my knowledge it has yet to be fixed.RegardsDennis Waggoner

Guest nutmeat

I purchased the Simflyer EFBv1 yesterday and am dissappointed in its capabilities. I installed it in the Dreamfleet Cessna 310; no problems there at all as instalation is just a matter of manually editing the panel.cfg file. This could be problamatic for some who are not used to editing this file. There is no auto install capability with the product.Basically, it is just a pretty wrapper around the default GPS. Using the touchbuttons on the product is definitly easier than twisting the knobs of a GPS via mouse input. About the only added funtionality is the addition of six funtion buttons which can be used to bring up any display you want to program in. Unfortunatly, this is also a big weakness as, the only files accepted are a fixed sized bitmap (you must fix the size in some other program such as Photoshop or Paintshop) and any of up to six files must be placed in a designated folder with six canned filenames! Also, if you do a sectional, or an approach chart, it is static based upon whatever you put into the file and does not superimpose your aircraft position, as the funtionality does not know what is being displayed or have any coordinate data.Also, I found several discrepancies in what is stated in the sales literature. For example, it says that a login and password would be found in the install directory; I could find nothing of the sort anywhere. It also said that a manual describing GPS funtions would be there: it was not! I could not view the supposed tutorial as I had no way to login. A demo after purchase is of little value, especially if you cannot get to it.I was hoping for the ability to input a .jpg sectional file and have the unit track the aircraft over the file. This you cannot do with the product. Aside from a nice wrapper over the standard GPS and the ability to have a handier copy of approach charts (if you are willing to do the formatting and file maipulations prior to each flight, in my estimation, this unit is not worth the price.L. Shinn

Guest UweR

Hi,"I was hoping for the ability to input a .jpg sectional file and have the unit track the aircraft over the file."As this is one of my pet peeves - have you already used such a moving map program in the past, and which one? Are you still searching for a good one?