Sign in to follow this  
sd_flyer

Can you recommend any aircraft that can spin?

I tried Airfoilabs C-172 but no joy. Any suggestions?

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

SD, I would imagine the 172 would not spin due to the realistic model of the plane, and in real life a 172 is a very stable plane that is inherently hard to spin unless it is put into some wild attitudes. If you are looking for a plane to spin, I would look for something a little bit more aerobatically capable. There is a new Extra 330 that was released by VERTIGO Design on the org store not too long ago. I don't personally own the plane, but it could be useful and isn't very expensive. I believe it is around $25 dollars or so.

Best,

I am pretty sure the Diamond Eclipse DA20 is spin certified. I got checked out in one some years ago and the instructor wanted to show me its spin capabilities, to which I declined. But none the less, I believe they are good for spins. I am not aware of who makes one for FSX, but you may want to check also under the Katana which was an earlier version of the eclipse.

Okay I see this one at Simmarket which may do the job.

http://secure.simmarket.com/aerosoft-online-da20-100-katana-4x.phtml

Sorry I just noticed this was for X-Plane. See this:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/14024-diamond-da20-c1-katana/

Cheers, Pete

Edited by psolov

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

SD, I would imagine the 172 would not spin due to the realistic model of the plane, and in real life a 172 is a very stable plane that is inherently hard to spin unless it is put into some wild attitudes. If you are looking for a plane to spin, I would look for something a little bit more aerobatically capable. There is a new Extra 330 that was released by VERTIGO Design on the org store not too long ago. I don't personally own the plane, but it could be useful and isn't very expensive. I believe it is around $25 dollars or so.

Best,

I'm pretty sure it's possible if you try hard. I did spin Cherokee 180 once by accident  , and of course I span 152 many times during my CFI initial. Thanks I'll try vertigo Extra!   

I am pretty sure the Diamond Eclipse DA20 is spin certified. I got checked out in one some years ago and the instructor wanted to show me its spin capabilities, to which I declined. But none the less, I believe they are good for spins. I am not aware of who makes one for FSX, but you may want to check also under the Katana which was an earlier version of the eclipse.

Okay I see this one at Simmarket which may do the job.

http://secure.simmarket.com/aerosoft-online-da20-100-katana-4x.phtml

Sorry I just noticed this was for X-Plane. See this:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/14024-diamond-da20-c1-katana/

Cheers, Pete

Thanks will give it  a shot!

I tried Airfoilabs C-172 but no joy. Any suggestions?

Best,

I just tried the default 172. I can easily put it into a spin, but it recovers itself after about 1/2 to 3/4 of a rotation.

A real life 172 is not hard to put in a spin if you do it right. The method I learned during my training long ago was to perform a gentle straight ahead stall as per normal, but just as the aircraft is about to stall, add a few hundred RPM and full left rudder. The added torque from the engine will flip you right into a spin nicely.

** Not that I should have to say this, but please don't try this at home in a real airplane unless you know what you are doing.

• Upvote 1

I believe that all of RealAir's planes will spin.  While many of them are not certified for spins IRL, that doesn't mean they don't spin or that we can't spin them in the sim.

Many RW GA planes are not certified to spin, so having a spin capable sim plane is a nice feature - though nothing can simulate doing it IRL. 

In the US, requirements for spinning disappeared years ago in favor of spin avoidance training.  There's much to be said for that, as many (most?) stall/spin accidents occur at low altitude - typically in the pattern - with no room for recovery.  Still, I'm glad I had an "old-school" instructor who insisted we spend a day doing spin recovery during my primary instruction, in my case in a 152 Aerobat.  After some initial nervousness, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, though I never got to repeat it.  After my training days, most of the planes I flew were not certified for spins.

Scott

X plane thread you sillies!

• Upvote 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

You guys forced me check couple timesif I posted in X-plane forum.  :P

Mea culpa.  Don't do that often, so apologies.

Scott

Got Extra VERTIGO. A flying UFO in XP11. So could't spin it. Just got it into deep spiral. Now wondering if its XP11 problem

Got Extra VERTIGO. A flying UFO in XP11. So could't spin it. Just got it into deep spiral. Now wondering if its XP11 problem

Did it not spin in XP10 either? Or you just try in XP11? That is interesting.

Did it not spin in XP10 either? Or you just try in XP11? That is interesting.

I don't have XP10. In fact, I'm new to XP11. This my exploration phase :)