Sign in to follow this  
houstonhear

Have lost SF Bay Bridge and Candle Stick Park in XP 11b2

I recently installed beta 2 for XP 11.  I have all graphic settings maxed out.  I just went to KSFO and took off, heading downtown.  The airport scenery is highly detailed.  But, all other areas only have lots of generic buildings now.  There is no Discovery Place, no Candle Stick Park, no SF Bay Bridge, just a flat generic bridge.  I am almost certain that I had great scenery in SFO before the upgrade, but I have to admit that I still run FSX once in awhile, so may be thinking of that.

I am new to X-Plane, so may have screwed something up, not knowing what I was doing.  System is Intel i7 4770k at 4200 MHz, 32 GB DDR3, GTX 1080, 8 Gb.  Running smoothly at 30-40+ FPS.

Any help will be appreciated.

I am almost certain that I had great scenery in SFO before the upgrade, but I have to admit that I still run FSX once in awhile, so may be thinking of that.

If you do not remember having installed any custom (downloaded) scenery for San Francisco in X-Plane, you are probably thinking of FSX. Default X-Plane does not have any sights.

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

Thanks for the response, Mario.

So, what airports in XP 11 do have decent scenery?  I flew into KIAH and saw no terminal buildings at all, only airstrips.  Surely there are some major airports with scenery included as part of the standard package.

I still wonder if something isn't corrupted in my install.

Thanks,

Wilson

Thanks for the response, Mario.

So, what airports in XP 11 do have decent scenery?  I flew into KIAH and saw no terminal buildings at all, only airstrips.  Surely there are some major airports with scenery included as part of the standard package.

I still wonder if something isn't corrupted in my install.

Thanks,

Wilson

I think a lot of the newer airports are not in the beta yet from the X-Plane gateway.  Specifically, as I built KIAH, if it is not there yet, it is in the gateway ready to go.  It is possible they are holding off on these as a lot of airports will need updates to deal with services vehicles.  They have not released the updated editing software yet that adds this feature.

Duh!

I had not thought of that.  Yes, that makes sense, since there are elevated roads that stop and go nowhere.  I keep forgetting that it is beta.

candlestick park no longer exists, so it's possible that it was deliberately removed from the sim.

they are almost done demolishing old bay bridge as well. perhaps they didn't have a 3d model for the new one?

cheers

-andy crosby

X-Plane did never (at least until this day) bring default landmarks like MSFS nor has it been advertised doing it.

But with some scenery add-ons you can propel it far beyond such default stuff.

For example with free San Francisco scenery from Mr.X (its an absolutely brilliant add-on):

Thanks for the link.  I have downloaded it.

Okay, being new to X-Plane, I assumed that it included at least major worldwide airports after previewing the XP11 demo.  I'll just keep hunting around for additional completed airports.

Okay, being new to X-Plane, I assumed that it included at least major worldwide airports after previewing the XP11 demo.  I'll just keep hunting around for additional completed airports.

Well, I was talking about "landmarks", not "airports". At least quite a few "default" airports should already be in with some acceptable (not super) quality.

Since some time, there is a so called "scenery gateway", where users can (and do very actively) contribute 3D airport designs based on a fixed - official - set of artwork elements. These airports are not super realistic, but can look very nicely and will - at least - usually give a plausible look to most airports.

You can check if your airport in question has this type of "default" 3D buildings by checking it here:

Search for the ICAO code, and if it turns up the airport saying "3D" in the Type column, then you can expect it to already have buildings / scenery on it (or will get it soon with the next update of X-Plane).