Sign in to follow this  

Titan X Pascal improves FPS in XP11

Going from a Titan X to a Titan X Pascal, my expectations were low ... but pleasantly surprised to see a good increase in FPS and fewer long frames ... at my same test location/scenario went from 19 FPS forTitan X to 28 FPS for Titan X Pascal ... I guess it's true that Pascal does seem to work well with OpenGL.

Cheers, Rob.

That's good to know, but it might help if you post what resolution (and how many monitors) you're running, and how far you're pushing the settings.

I'm getting a minimum of 40 fps with a lowly GTX 970 on my rig with XP11 public beta 2. Sometimes it shoots up to 50-60 fps, but it's at least 40 fps over cities and other complex terrain. That's on a single 1920x1200 monitor, with X-Plane usually windowed a bit smaller so I can use Plan-G and other windowed utilities, and visual Visual Effects "High (HDR)." I'm also using HDv3 terrain mesh, with 32 gigs of RAM so that isn't causing any memory crunch.

I'm sure I could bump up some settings with a Pascal card. I'm waiting for the price of 1080's to come down. But for my setup, it will just be more eye candy settings. Frame rate is good here.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

You where most likely GPU bound then. The original Titan isn't that fast anymore, around the same as a 970.

You where most likely GPU bound then. The original Titan isn't that fast anymore, around the same as a 970.

We're back again with NVIDIA's new Pascal-based Titan X graphics card, which has quite the leap in virtually every way over the Maxwell-based GeForce GTX Titan X. The original Titan X was made on the 28nm FinFET process with 3072 CUDA cores and its GPU clocked at 1.08GHz while the new Titan X is made on the exciting new 16nm FinFET process with 3584 CUDA cores and the GPU clocked at 1.53GHz. This offers around 60% more performance over the original Maxwell-based Titan X, and a pretty decent 20% or so leap over the current GeForce GTX 1080.

Rich Sennett

Wow... that's pretty nice. When I am going to buy a new PC I will be looking at this card. Or maybe the upcoming 1080 Ti. SLI has no use afaik so right now so this new Titan seems the one to get. If you are going for XP, that is.

I am holding out till I see what AMD has to offer with their ZEN CPU and the rumored Vega 10 card. Vega 10 is expected to come with 16GB HBM2 RAM with a bandwidth of 512GB/s !

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Wow... that's pretty nice. When I am going to buy a new PC I will be looking at this card. Or maybe the upcoming 1080 Ti. SLI has no use afaik so right now so this new Titan seems the one to get. If you are going for XP, that is.

Jeroen I believe your hooked on XP11 - with good reason  :wink:

Rich Sennett

Jeroen I believe your hooked on XP11 - with good reason  :wink:

LOL Yeah, I am away from home for over a week and the only forum I follow on the other side of the world is this XP forum and I am looking forward to start up XP11 when I get home! I do not miss P3D at all and for now I have no reason to play that one anytime soon. So, yes, I guess I am hooked indeed. Time will tell for how long though.

LOL Yeah, I am away from home for over a week and the only forum I follow on the other side of the world is this XP forum and I am looking forward to start up XP11 when I get home! I do not miss P3D at all and for now I have no reason to play that one anytime soon. So, yes, I guess I am hooked indeed. Time will tell for how long though.

Needs some more high end aircraft payware that would be icing on the cake - That IXEG is pretty amazing wish they would make a 737-700/800    :wink:  did you see how easy it is to add a repaint drop the textures into livery folder and your done how cool is that

Oh yah 3 miles or 10 miles on final to runway spawn - yahoo and the recorder is so sweet

• Upvote 1

Rich Sennett

Interesting, I am waiting for the 1080ti to see how it performs in X-Plane 11 and will then decide.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

Hi Rob

We have have not met but have seen many of your post on a lot of your benchmark testing.

I do testing in my line of work at my job but it also do it as a hobby of mine at home when building and making adjustment to my system. Sometime taken what I learn with me to work.

Thanks for running that test with the Titan X Pascal. I don't want my wife to see this but that is the card I planning to get.

Two year ago I bride her with the tea shirt that came with the Titan Black that I have now, in order to the get the card. I don't think I am going to be able get away with that, but since we are getting a new car that will be my excuse, will see.  :smile:

Anyway, I have not loaded the X plane beta 11 yet but still on 10.50 or 51, I had reach the limits on the TITAN Black with 6 gigs of memory use up on some scenario. 

I even overclock the TITAN Black it with 70 mhz gpu clock offset and 500 mhz memory offset and performs very well. Although I don't have to run at level of performance all the time. I keep the ambient temp below 75 deg when running a flight with the outside air. Although it is an unusual setup for most people, however its cold here so I take advantage of it for extreme overclocking. 

One test I perform is use is any aircraft and go to KLGA facing Manhattan and watch the load pickup on the CPU and GPU. 

Very interesting results.

Thanks again

Bob

What driver version are you on Rob?

I recently discovered that the DPC latency issues with the earlier drivers don't seem to have been resolved in the latest driver either. Seems a bit better, but still the driver causing most latency on my system, with a water cooled Titan XP.

That said - turning off thread optimization in Nvidia control panel gives a far better performance in XP 10/11:D

We're back again with NVIDIA's new Pascal-based Titan X graphics card, which has quite the leap in virtually every way over the Maxwell-based GeForce GTX Titan X. The original Titan X was made on the 28nm FinFET process with 3072 CUDA cores and its GPU clocked at 1.08GHz while the new Titan X is made on the exciting new 16nm FinFET process with 3584 CUDA cores and the GPU clocked at 1.53GHz. This offers around 60% more performance over the original Maxwell-based Titan X, and a pretty decent 20% or so leap over the current GeForce GTX 1080.

Exactly.

The old Titan X must have been a bottleneck then. Considering that reflection and object density are CPU bound all of us are bottlenecked by our CPU's and considering that the performance per year is negligible don't expect this to change anytime soon. When I upgraded from my old i7 2600k 4.5GHz the performance gain was not really that much different a considering that my old CPU was a few generations behind. 

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.5GHz

Corsair Vengeance Black LPX 32GB

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD