Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy RFR

Went looking for trouble tonight in XP11...

Well as much trouble as an unarmed Cessna can offer, anyhow.

Was casting about my XP aircraft collection looking for something different to fly in XP11 tonight. Hit upon the Aerobask Fokker Dr.1, which I never really used much in XP10. Seems to work okay in XP11, in it's built-in 'Arcade Mode' (ran into a situation in Simulation mode where it quit and nothing I could do could get it started.) It's actually quite pleasant to fly in the sim, and since my FPS never went below 60 tonight, was as smooth as silk as well.

Anyhow - I had recalled a thread from the other week where there was talk of the visible damage modelling in some of the XP11 aircraft. "Hmm..." I thought, "I think the Fokker has guns..."

As in XP10, you can enable a 'combat mode' in XP11. I did so, and set up an opponent flying the C172. XP11 loads up your AI opponent a fair bit away from you, so in a Fokker, it took a little bit of flying and checking the map before I reached the Cessna. Bonus... the 172 had it's landing lights on. Made life really easy to spot it once it was visible.

So, after almost losing control (whoops!) while trying to maneuver to get behind it, I lined up, pulled the trigger, and... amazingly enough, landed a direct few hits. I wish I would of had a button set to take a screenshot, because visually, it was pretty darn impressive  - one wing on the Cessna went flying off, and the rest of the aircraft became engulfed in black smoke and dropped fast. I followed it downwards for a few seconds until I overshot it. The loose wing spiraled down very believably and completely separate from the rest of the aircraft.

Anyhow, shooting ducks in a pond unarmed 172's might get boring fast, but the combat mode could really be something if fleshed out. I think in XP10 you could add missiles to AI planes, but if they would add guns, I could see spending a lot of time in that Fokker.

• Upvote 4

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

That's cool! One less student pilot! (Wait...what...) lol

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

So there I was, flying along, minding my own business, admiring the scenery, when I saw this Fokker approaching........ :Shocked:    :shok:     :Skull:

• Upvote 6

So there I was, flying along, minding my own business, admiring the scenery, when I saw this Fokker approaching........        

So there I was, working on my car out in the garage, and this Cessna wing comes crashing down on my driveway...smashing the garbage cans.  Jim, sending you the bill to replace them. :wink:

• Upvote 3

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Anyhow - I had recalled a thread from the other week where there was talk of the visible damage modelling in some of the XP11 aircraft. "Hmm..." I thought, "I think the Fokker has guns..."

I wish I would of had a button set to take a screenshot, because visually, it was pretty darn impressive - one wing on the Cessna went flying off, and the rest of the aircraft became engulfed in black smoke and dropped fast

Damn! that was you in the Fokker! :wink:

X-Plane%202016-12-10%2021-40-11-63_zpsdt

X-Plane%202016-12-10%2021-39-55-34_zpsg0

• Upvote 3

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

Great humor guys. Thumbs up!

Kind regards

Tom

• Upvote 1

Sometimes I have to admit to myself:
"Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses"

Damn! that was you in the Fokker!

Actually it was his mother in the Fokker...so wouldn't that make him a ......well, never mind  :LMAO:

• Upvote 2

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Actually it was his mother in the Fokker...so wouldn't that make him a ......well, never mind  :LMAO:

Lol, a MF.

• Upvote 1

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | Intel Core i9-10900K @ 5.3GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 | 500 GB M.2 NVMe for win | 2TB M.2 NVMe for FS2020 | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Eric from EHAM, a flying Dutchman.

I personally sincerely hope LR won't spend any valuable time on 'fleshing this out'. If you want to shoot something, use a shooting game. Let's please keep this a civil (aviation) game.

Yes, call me boring but I wanted to have this said anyway. ;)

I personally sincerely hope LR won't spend any valuable time on 'fleshing this out'. If you want to shoot something, use a shooting game. Let's please keep this a civil (aviation) game.

I wouldn't worry too much about X-Plane moving in that direction. It includes weapon modeling for the warbirds, but only to a limited extent. Mainly, it lacks modeling of the extreme edge of the flight envelope that you'd need for combat like wing buffer stall, more accurate supersonic modeling, and so on.  

As long as we have other developers doing combat sims like DCS and 777 Studios, there isn't any reason to push for it with X-Plane.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I am quite sure, that this is simply a migrated X-Plane Mobile feature. But the failure model is certainly something that I appreciate.

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry, I quite disagree. The magical thing about flight simulators, whatever brand they may be, is that they are (often, perhaps hopefully?) capable of being whatever a person wants them to be. To say, "I only like *this*, please only include *this* and ignore everything else that I don't like." perhaps comes across as slightly arrogant and self-entitled. After all, I don't really care terribly much for large airliners, big airports and AI. Perhaps I should ask that any improvements in those areas be ignored in favor of the things I prefer?

Anyhow, the Aerobask Fokker is a fine recreation of a very interesting aircraft, from a fascinating period of aviation history. The fact that LR gave us (pre-dating the mobile version, I do believe) some built-in tools that let us have a little fun and blow off steam once in awhile, is certainly nothing to complain about. to me, it simply is another reason why I so seldom use any other simulator these days.

• Upvote 1

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Just the right kind of humor I needed this morning.

Never heard of a civil war? :)

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit