Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

GTX 1070 performance in XP opinions?

i am using a 6600k at 5ghz a gtx 1070 8gb and 24gb of ddr4 3,000 and on the ground i get between 30-50 fps depending on the plane and 60-90 fps in the air, the 1070 is a happy balance for people that simply can't afford the pure top of the line. i am really happy with it.

In my case (i7 6700k 4GHz + GTX 1070 Mobile 8GB + 32GB DDR4 2133 + XP11 beta 1) I am getting around 30 FPS with all setting maxed out. And I can improve it well (40-60 FPS) with one notch less of max setting. I will test beta 2 this week and see how it behaves.

i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, 32GB RAM, GTX1070 8GB (X-Plane 11, X-Plane 10)

i7-2630QM 2.0Ghz, 12GB RAM, GTX560M 3GB (X-Plane 9, FSX, FS2004)

i am using a 6600k at 5ghz a gtx 1070 8gb and 24gb of ddr4 3,000 and on the ground i get between 30-50 fps depending on the plane and 60-90 fps in the air, the 1070 is a happy balance for people that simply can't afford the pure top of the line. i am really happy with it.

My goodness man, 5ghz on a 6600k??? How did you manage that? Are you using liquid cooling? It sounds great:) 

My goodness man, 5ghz on a 6600k??? How did you manage that? Are you using liquid cooling? It sounds great:) 

it's not as uncommon as you might think, i am just using a deepcool 200ex cooler, 1.375v on my 6600k 5ghz across all cores, 3 cores will do 5.2ghz but the cpu goes above 75c. the 5ghz i stay below 70c across all cores. i wish i could get lucky and find a 6700k that would do 5ghz. x-plane loves high clock speeds.my 6600k runs x-plane better than my 6800k did with 6 cores and 12 threads at 4.2 ghz.

it's not as uncommon as you might think, i am just using a deepcool 200ex cooler, 1.375v on my 6600k 5ghz across all cores, 3 cores will do 5.2ghz but the cpu goes above 75c. the 5ghz i stay below 70c across all cores. i wish i could get lucky and find a 6700k that would do 5ghz. x-plane loves high clock speeds.my 6600k runs x-plane better than my 6800k did with 6 cores and 12 threads at 4.2 ghz.

finding a 6700k to do that, is really an eater egg hunt. i have mine running at 1.3V just to keep him at stable 4.4 ghz granted its synced on all cores but 4,6 was just around 1,39 and i didnt want to do that to my cpu ;)

I've finally decided to scrap my Macbook laptop for gaming and pick up a gaming laptop. I went for an Acer laptop with a GTX 1070 8GB, i7 3.2GHZ (overclockable) and 32GB RAM. Can anyone with a similar specced computer tell me the sort of performance they are getting in XP10 and 11. I have a painful 2 week wait for the computer, but I also have a 30day money-back guarantee.

I'm hoping I made a good choice, as I still prefer laptops to desktops.

i think your biggest problem will be temp throtteling. you could try to find a good notebook cooler. That should help you alot more ;)

Look at it this way, my Origin EON-15X (about 2 years old now) can run XP10 and 11 pretty decent, but nothing extraordinary.  Of course, as long as it runs smooth, that's all that matters.  My specs are in my sig, but I DO have the option to upgrade the gpu anytime I like, so if the new Pascal gpus are compatible with my board, I may have to bump it up a notch.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I would prefer to buy the 7700k when it comes out, but I am hesitant to sell this 6600k when the time comes. I always ended up with dud overclockers the past 10 years.now with zen 8 core on the horizon, i don't know which path i will go, the zen looks to have a cpu that compares to the 6900k at much lower prices, still waiting on details.

I got the computer two days ago with the GTX 1070, it certainly doesn't disappoint. In XP10 with GB Pro and orthos I get 30-40fps, a double increase in performance, I've been able to achieve 70fps in some areas when I turn off the roads. XP11 is a little slower, but is much smoother than it was and has increased my enjoyment in the sim two-fold. I now believe people when they say they can't accept less than 30fps, it really makes a nice difference in the experience and makes flight easier. Stutters for now are a thing of the past, I use about half the video RAM with maxed out settings on XP10.

One thing I've noticed is that XP simply doesn't utilise the card completely, it's about 30% used, and the rest is CPU. Other games I use perform amazingly, but XP is different. I can turn up AA, and eye-candy to max without much of an issue, but CPU related tasks such as objects, cars and roads cause a bottleneck. Unfortanately, it isn't possibe to turn off the cars in XP11 to get back the frames.

• Upvote 2

I got the computer two days ago with the GTX 1070, it certainly doesn't disappoint. In XP10 with GB Pro and orthos I get 30-40fps, a double increase in performance, I've been able to achieve 70fps in some areas when I turn off the roads. XP11 is a little slower, but is much smoother than it was and has increased my enjoyment in the sim two-fold. I now believe people when they say they can't accept less than 30fps, it really makes a nice difference in the experience and makes flight easier. Stutters for now are a thing of the past, I use about half the video RAM with maxed out settings on XP10.

One thing I've noticed is that XP simply doesn't utilise the card completely, it's about 30% used, and the rest is CPU. Other games I use perform amazingly, but XP is different. I can turn up AA, and eye-candy to max without much of an issue, but CPU related tasks such as objects, cars and roads cause a bottleneck. Unfortanately, it isn't possibe to turn off the cars in XP11 to get back the frames.

By the way you are describing, it almost sounds like XP11 is mimicking the way FSX worked, in that more cpu than gpu. 

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Unfortanately, it isn't possibe to turn off the cars in XP11 to get back the frames.

They should be easily turned off with a little edit of the settings.txt file, where you can find the entries for the car density as a function of the "objects" slider.

Of course, it would be much better if Laminar introduced a separate slider for traffic density, but in the meanwhile, tweakers can tweak. :smile:

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

By the way you are describing, it almost sounds like XP11 is mimicking the way FSX worked, in that more cpu than gpu.

Any simulator behaves this way (more CPU dependent), given the higher number of mathematics calculations it needs to do. Not only flight simulators, but most simulators in general, including FSX, XP and others.

FSX is 32bit and that limits its use of current technology. XP is way ahead, as a software using the 64bit technology, hence XP can use GPU much better than FSX (CPU, RAM memory as well), especially the new GPU Paschoal technology, like the GTX 1070 under discussion in here. However, both are more CPU than GPU dependent, by nature.

i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, 32GB RAM, GTX1070 8GB (X-Plane 11, X-Plane 10)

i7-2630QM 2.0Ghz, 12GB RAM, GTX560M 3GB (X-Plane 9, FSX, FS2004)

I use a desktop with this spec. so it might be in that range.

GTX 1070

i7 4.0

16GB Ram

SSD

With 1 monitor, 45+ fps using Ortho XP11

With 3 monitors 20-30 fps Ortho XP11

And for XP10.. its around the same performance with ortho and high end paywares, IXEG, Saab + Ortho..

Hope it helps.

Alex

Tony, let XP11 get optimized 

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus