Sign in to follow this  
Will66

X_Audio2_4.dll and application hang CTD

Hello I have been playing FSX SE for a while now and recently upgraded my PC significantly and have up until the last couple of weeks have been playing fine. It all started when the in game ATC would start repeating itself, or i'd crash when trying to change settings and calibrate controllers, and realised this was down to installing the HD freeware texture pack, so I got rid of that and bought REX 4. Before buying rex i thought i should do a clean install as the HD pack even though deleted was causing issues so I uninstalled it, and was notified by a third party program the FSX SE was causing issues in the registry and recommended i fix the issue, so i just clicked fix and watched registry files get deleted. I didnt think much of it at the time. When playing on a clean install, all mods installed and applied it was great, until about 30 mins into flights, some less some more the default ATC would get stuck like a broken record, just repeating the first sound of the letter such as "airbus" would be "a,a,a,a,a,a,a" and so on. It would repeat for a few minutes then the ATC would have no sound and just use the Text box which was fine. Then I would land the aircraft, and I have found that most times the crash occurs taxing off the runway, the screen would freeze and say not responding, however these freezes happen at the start, during and after landing. And also when trying to calibrate joystick in flight, the game crashes which was not there before installing the HD texture pack, although I have done about 6 or 7 clean installs so it cant be the HD pack thats affecting that? 

I looked in the event viewer and 9/10 times this is what I get: 

First error is Application error:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.62615.0, time stamp: 0x559f9a9a
Faulting module name: XAudio2_4.dll_unloaded, version: 9.26.1590.0, time stamp: 0x49bebf9f
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0003a070
Faulting process id: 0x289c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d252d4b86078f7
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: XAudio2_4.dll
Report Id: 221d762f-33f0-4cc3-b597-97d8bc0f3d83
Faulting package full name: 

Second error is Application hang:
The program fsx.exe version 10.0.62615.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
 Process ID: 2b70
 Start Time: 01d252de5775db21
 Termination Time: 42
 Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX\fsx.exe
 Report Id: 8e942fff-bedf-11e6-9c43-408d5c84423d
 Faulting package full name: 
 Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks

Make sure your sound card or on board sound is up-to-date.  Run a program like Driver Booster (freeware) which searches for missing or out-of -date drivers.

Some have fixed this by going from 24 bit sound to 16 bit sound or changing the Hz from 960000 Hz to 48000 Hz.  You want to get to your speaker properties page.  In Windows 7, click on the speaker icon in the lower right corner and select the Speakers.  Go to Advanced tab and select the sample rate or restore defaults.

Make sure FSX-SE setting for Sounds shows "Default Primary Devices" or your Sound Card.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hello Jim, I've messed around with changing quality and bit rates of the speakers and TV speakers but nothing seems to work. I haven't tried a 3rd party driver checker as windows seems to say they're all up to date but I'll have another look, I've tried totally removing the .dll files from system 32 which I know is pretty reckless but for some reason it seemed to make the game last longer, however a crash was still present. I'll have to check out the driver checker though tonight, I'll make sure I get back to you.

If this doesn't work what other suggestions or reasons would you be able to give me if any? I am greatful for your help Jim,

Thanks,

Will

If this doesn't work what other suggestions or reasons would you be able to give me if any? I am greatful for your help Jim,

The faulting module is a system file and does not belong to FSX.  You can scan your system for corrupted or missing files and any found will be replaced.  See page 14, AVSIM CTD Guide.   I would try to update your hardware drivers first though (these are mostly not done by Windows Update as Windows Update is mostly concerned with updating Windows).  Hardware drivers get out of date like your USB ports, etc.  See page 15, AVSIM CTD Guide.

One other suggestion which is not in the AVSIM CTD Guide (yet), is to go to Tweaking.com and download Windows Repair.  This freeware program was developed by several Microsoft techs and it really does wonders if you haven't updated installed Windows for some time.  I find it useful to run this neat little program once a month.  It has fixed some FSX crashes.  Users get out of whack somehow and you may have a program that was installed that is not fully shared with all of the users, including YOU. 

I would also make sure you have FSX running with Admin Rights for ALL USERS.  See pages 11 and 12, AVSIM CTD Guide.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Okay I've just tried your first suggestion - run driver booster and quite a few things, unsure what they actually are but are extremely old - so I'm going to fix this and makesure I'm running everything as admin!

Wish me luck!

Wish you luck!

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

So last night (UK time) I tried the driver fix, the admin allow users fix and the windows repair thing which took me to about 5am. Just tried to have a flight and just before rotate or 5 mins into playing I'm crashing - this time I'm not seeing XAudio error but I'm seeing the uiautomationcore error in system 32, I haven't seen this one before so I'll take a look see if I can fix it

Thanks

Will

No luck unfortunately, however instead of the atc looping later in a flight and the crash happening most of the time when landing, this time the crash occurred when taxiing to the runway, the atc looped differently, instead of repeating the first letter it started with "hold short of run" repeated that a few times then "hold short o' " etc and kept getting shorter until completely gone -- but the game froze 30 seconds after the last loop -- it seems I'm not getting the XAudio error in event viewer anymore, just the application hang error which is strange

Not sure what other options I have

Thanks,

Will

AppHangs are difficult to troubleshoot but I'm interested in the uiautomationcore error.  The uiautomationcore.dll is part of the Microsoft.net package.  In FSX-SE, Dovetail Games automatically installed the uiautomationcore.dll in the main FSX folder as it is the "holy grail" fix for all FSX crashes.  To me, it's a placebo.  Still it tells me you most likely have the correct version of the dll in your main fsx folder.  It has caused apphangs in the past though. Make sure you have Microsoft.net 2.0 and 3.0 installed.  You can quickly determine this by going to your Windows/Microsoft.net/Framework and look for Microsoft.net 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5.  Many addons to FSX require these oldies.  Most likely Dovetail Games installed them by default and many users of FSX-SE have FSX also installed or had it installed before they installed FSX-SE.  The dotnets are installed automatically when you install FSX.  I just want to make sure they are there as they are required.  Microsoft.net's are used by developers like Dovetail Games and Microsoft and PMDG, etc., to make sure their application is installed properly and as intended.  If not, then it will crash.

and the windows repair thing which took me to about 5am.

Not sure what you mean by this.  The Tweaking.com Windows Repair "thing" completes the repairs in less than 10 minutes, including installation, so anything longer than that indicates to me you might have serious computer problems.

You also indicated you did the driver update fix and at least it repaired something to get rid of the X-Audio2 error.

So, here's the situation.  You ran the hardware driver updater and it updated some things.  You ran the Windows Repair utility and and fixed some things.  That should have fixed all of your problems.  I mean, what else could be done?  What is loading after you take off?  The surrounding scenery, weather (just the clouds if you do not have real weather turned on) and AI (whether default or an addon).  Why won't that scenery, weather and AI load and instead freezes up?  Is there something running in the background like an anti-virus program that is scanning FSX looking for viruses?  If so, maybe the program found a "false-positive" "virus".  You should never ever have any anti-virus program scanning your FSX folder.  You should also have UserAccessControls disabled.  They try to protect you from evil people but instead cause issues running your application.  You can exempt your anti-virus program (if you have one installed) from scanning your FSX folders and want to make sure you have done that.

Looks like you are really back to square one if none of the fixes/recommendations above work.  You can follow my instructions starting on page 10 of the AVSIM CTD Guide, How to Fix Most Freezes and Crashes and see if that fixes the problem.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

I just noticed I was testing the system when I responded to you.  That really is me above (and my car too).

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Hi Jim,

I've checked the net frameworks and I have them a okay -- so that's not the issue or a contributor. And I apologise, what I should have said is that I woke up at 5am to see everything had been repaired, although it definitely took between one hour and two hours, definitely not 10 minutes, the tweak said it did 45 things to the registery including defaulting the permissions -- however a strange thing in the event viewer I'm getting a lot more errors than I was previously getting, non that are causing damage I don't think, but for example DNS Client events and DirstributedCOM and DHCPClient errors are frequently occurring now, but I don't think they are causing any problems. I have noticed in the event viewer however something that may be of significance, and that's a steam firewall error. "Failed to add firewall exception for steam webhleper" something like that -- could this link into what you were saying about anti virus? I don't have any third party anti virus software, just standard windows defender and firewall. I did that user access control thing -- all I could find was that user notification slider thing -- and I assume you wanted me to totally turn it off by bringing the slider all the way down but unfortunately the crashes seem to be now consistent, about 5-10 mins into flight the loop starts, then shortly after the crash happens.

About automationcore error -- I realised and remembered I took it out of the fsx root directory to see if that would help earlier ( I read one of your posts I think) but obviously that just caused that error as I put it back in and it hasn't appeared again -- just the application hang now.

I'm extremely greatful for your help resolving the Xaudio error, it's so kind you devote your time to help people like me!

Thanks,

Will

-- a very nice car indeed!

Failed to add firewall exception for steam webhleper

According to Google - https://www.google.com/search?q=Failed+to+add+firewall+exception+for+steam+webhleper&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=Failed+to+add+firewall+exception+for+steamwebhelper, many others are having this error.  Perhaps this is the cause of your freezes but then, wouldn't everyone who uses Steam have this problem?  There's a lengthy topic about this in the Steam forum which I did not review completely.  There appears to be a fix on the last page of the discussion.

About automationcore error -- I realised and remembered I took it out of the fsx root directory to see if that would help earlier ( I read one of your posts I think) but obviously that just caused that error as I put it back in and it hasn't appeared again -- just the application hang now.

Yes, my guide refers to FSX, boxed version but most of the fixes also apply to both FSX boxed version and FSX-SE.  Dovetail Games may have hacked the version they placed in FSX-SE.

And I apologise, what I should have said is that I woke up at 5am to see everything had been repaired, although it definitely took between one hour and two hours, definitely not 10 minutes, the tweak said it did 45 things to the registery including defaulting the permissions -- however a strange thing in the event viewer I'm getting a lot more errors than I was previously getting, non that are causing damage I don't think, but for example DNS Client events and DirstributedCOM and DHCPClient errors are frequently occurring now, but I don't think they are causing any problems.

This is really strange as it takes a few minutes for the Windows Repair program to do its thing.  You did do it in Safe Mode right?  They set up up to go to Safe Mode w/Networking, restart your PC and then run their program.  The program ran a backup of everything before it did its thing so you can restore everything again by running the program and selecting restore.  When you have errors in your Event Viewer, it is because the repair program returns your services back to the default.  Some you might have changed or disabled.

I don't have any third party anti virus software, just standard windows defender and firewall.

This is really all you need.  But I have heard Windows Defender has been known to quarantine required files too it does not like.  But it should warn you before it does this.  I would take a look just to be sure.  Just click on your Windows Search and type in Defender and then look up in the menu for Windows Defender and check.  Make sure you never ever disable your firewall.  I had a friend who did that once and 16 seconds after going on the Internet she was hacked or got a virus (not sure which as I did not see it as she was located 1000 miles away but she had to have a computer repairman "fix" her computer.  He just reformatted her HDD and reinstalled Windows for $99.95.  Thank you very much!). 

Hopefully the fix at the Steam Forum will help.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

I have read thoroughly through the forum -- thankyou for finding me that, and it seems to have fixed the steam firewall error -- unfortunately however this wasn't the cause of my crashes as it still getting the looping ATC and the freezing. I'm just in the process of rebuilding my cfg file as i forgot to do that in the first place

-- beginning to think my only option is to move to fsx disc or a complete reinstall of windows

Will

I think we may have solved it Jim, could it be as simple as rebuilding the CFG? It hasn't crashed yet and the ATC seems fine -- phew! I'll carry on my flight to Geneva and I'll report back!

I can't thankyou enough Jim! Where would I be without you?

Cheers,

Will

Unfortunately back to square one -- froze about 20 mins in

I'm not sure what else I can do?

I think we may have solved it Jim, could it be as simple as rebuilding the CFG?

Close but no cigar...  Rebuilding the fsx.cfg is the number one fix for freezes/crashes.  The fact your ATC is looping indicates a possible sound issue.  Are you using an external sound card like Creative or are you using the on-board sound?  You might try turning off your sound (Q key) or try reinstalling the drivers.  I have a feeling the NVIDIA HD audio is interfering or conflicting.  Why they are getting into sound and networking is beyond my intel. 

The other option is to move your dll.xml to a temp folder or rename it to dll.off and don't let the modules load.  If that fixes the problem then it is most likely one of those modules causing the problem.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM