Sign in to follow this  
Will66

X_Audio2_4.dll and application hang CTD

It definitely looks like a sound issue at the driver or hardware level. I'd try flying with sound disabled in FSX and see what happens.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

I'll try flying with no sound and see how it goes -- I ran the driver booster program would that have not sorted out the driver? Oh and I'm using some Logitech speakers that is plugged into the back of my computer directly -- however the nvidia HD audio device is my tv -- which I don't use for audio - so I choose the real tech hd speakers

Thanks,

Will

Seems to have done the trick -- no crashes as of yet. Is there anyway to stop the conflict? It must be something to do with the sound I'm baffled about a possible fix though

I ran the driver booster program would that have not sorted out the driver?

That would assume that a) the old driver had a bug that was fixed in a newer version; and B) the hardware doesn't have a problem.

If no sound fixes things, I'd try piping the audio out the HDMI connection to the TV (that's what the NV HD audio does) and see if that works.

I have a feeling the NVIDIA HD audio is interfering or conflicting.  Why they are getting into sound and networking is beyond my intel.

It's not conflicting. It's perfectly possible and normal for one to have multiple audio devices in a Windows PC without any conflict at all. Pretty much anyone who flies on VATSIM or games in a multi-player environment with voice comms uses a second audio device for voice without issue.

NV is getting into sound for a perfectly rational reason. Outside of PCs, it's normal and expected to send audio and video together over an HDMI connection through an audio receiver to a video device. That's what I do on all of my TVs, and I'm eventually going to do that with my PC. In that case I can use my sound card for voice and pipe the default audio over HDMI. Digital sound is a solved problem, and NV isn't doing anything fancy, just sending a PCM stream over HDMI.

Ethernet is a similarly solved problem. I had an nVidia NIC in one of my old Athlon boards over a decade ago.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Does FSX understand HDMI and NVidia HD sound?  I have seen on the Internet where many have fixed problems by disabling the Nvidia sound.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Does FSX understand HDMI and NVidia HD sound?  I have seen on the Internet where many have fixed problems by disabling the Nvidia sound.

FSX doesn't know or care about the connection between the audio device and the external speakers or amplifier. It could be analog, optical or HDMI. The entire point of device drivers is to abstract away these details. It's an audio device, accessed via standard Windows WaveOut or DirectSound APIs.

I can't speak to the situations you reference - it depends on the problem, the hardware and the driver version. It's difficult to generalize on a solution - the solution for a sprained ankle is to get rest whereas for a knee replacement it's to start walking as soon as possible. The solution for one problem isn't the same as for the other.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

Thankyou both again for your help,

Before reading your suggestions I had deleted the Realtek audio device and reinstalled through troubleshooting, I am now 30 mins through a flight and all is looking good at the moment. If it doesn't work I'll definitely have a look in disabling HD sound through the Nvidia control panel, I'll see how long this lasts though!

Thanks again!

So close! ATC worked up until the approach, and then the game crashed on touch down. Almost completed -- it seems like it has gone back to the old XAudio behaviour -- even though now an application hang isn't showing anymore.

Hmmmm? What is going on with this computer?!

Reinstalling the driver won't help if the driver is buggy or there's a problem with the hardware.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

What else could you suggest then? Everything I've done it seems to have improved but not fully solved, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a hardware failure as the computer is merely a month old

Thanks,

will

If you have tried all of my suggestions in the AVSIM CTD Guide, page 10 forward, How to Fix Most Crashes and Freezes (there are more suggestions than just page 10 or that section), then you have one option left and that's to reinstall Windows and then FSX but then I would try that Windows Repair program again first.  You have something wrong with your audio.  Luke does not know how to fix it and neither do I.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hello again, 

I managed to resolve the issue by simply reinstalling windows, although hundreds of games and addons were deleted which took a very long time to reinstall however FSX is now working and back to its old self.

I'd like to thank both of you in your efforts in helping me

Will 

Sorry to hear you had to go to that length but I've done that several times myself over the years!  We were hoping for a simple fix.  Didn't work out.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM