Sign in to follow this  
MrLyo

Slow loading ground textures too

I've had a similar problem. Only that the textures while taking off seem to be fine. However, when I'm on approach a lot of the textures do not load until I am on a very low altitude. Then everything loads and it's OK. The terrain is not barren, I can see landmarks and stuff, but the houses and stuff pop up when I've reached a very low altitude.

I have installed:

Woai packages (never had a problem)

AI smooth

FSXWX

VAFS5

Tried lowering the global texture resolution, but still same problem.

Lyonel Aguilar

It could be a mass of things. The favourite one in these scenarios is running unlimited frames. That is a sure way of ending up with slow loading textures. Set a locked framerate of 30. The FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION is set at 0.33 by default in FSX the higher the value the more resources are set to loading textures. Processes running in the background, such as anti-virus, scheduled updates, etc. these in particular will create blurries for the best of machines. As has been said, it could be many different things, but often a culmination of things.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

It could be a mass of things. The favourite one in these scenarios is running unlimited frames. That is a sure way of ending up with slow loading textures. Set a locked framerate of 30. The FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION is set at 0.33 by default in FSX the higher the value the more resources are set to loading textures. Processes running in the background, such as anti-virus, scheduled updates, etc. these in particular will create blurries for the best of machines. As has been said, it could be many different things, but often a culmination of things.

Tried limitinng the frames, but it actually just got more laggy and didn't really help =/ tried turning down some other settings too. But I will keep trying. Thanks!!

Lyonel Aguilar

Hey leak91.. I was just recently getting extremely slow loading textures, blurries everywhere, unless I paused the sim for minutes.. the problem came out of nowhere, and no tweaks worked.. until I updated my Nvidia device driver to the latest, and now textures load faster than they ever have.  My previous driver had been dated last november, which is weird since the problem only occurred mid-year, but alas.

But long story short, check your nvidia driver and update if it's old, it might be the only thing you need to do.

Hey leak91.. I was just recently getting extremely slow loading textures, blurries everywhere, unless I paused the sim for minutes.. the problem came out of nowhere, and no tweaks worked.. until I updated my Nvidia device driver to the latest, and now textures load faster than they ever have.  My previous driver had been dated last november, which is weird since the problem only occurred mid-year, but alas.

But long story short, check your nvidia driver and update if it's old, it might be the only thing you need to do.

I have AMD, think they ceased making new driver updates for my (old) graphics card. But it used to do a pretty good job and still does at most things... maybe I should try uninstalling FSXWX or reinstalling everything from the ground?

Lyonel Aguilar

I think I'll start by deleting fsx.cfg as Jim said. Then proceed to uninstalling fsxwx I'll let you know!

Lyonel Aguilar

So taking away FSXWX didn't work either... now there is only AI smooth and VAFS5 left. VAFS5 has never caused me any problems, so I don't think its that. I also have some WOAI airlines installed, but those have never caused problems either in all these years. What im wondering is if I should keep uninstalling stuff, or if I instead should try reinstalling the whole simulator and install the add-ons one by one...

Lyonel Aguilar

After spending hours reinstalling FSX, PMDG, VAFS5 and my WOAI airlines (32 to be exact) I faced the same problem as before. Flew from KMIA to KTPA and the textures taking off were fantastic. However, I hardly got any generic textures (houses, trees, and stuff) while i was landing. As always, the textures were there as soon as I had landed and had a look around. This has also happened on go-arounds: all of a sudden the textures appear. Now I installed PMDG, VAFS5 and my WOAI airlines since Id rather give up good textures than fly without these addons. So I guess Im going to have to live with this problem.

I guess next step would be to try and lower the visual settings, as I have the scenery complexity and autogen density at the highest setting (scenery complexity since I otherwise don't get realistic airport buildings, and autogen density since its nice to have some houses around the blurry ground that is supposed to be a city...).My video card is sort of old, so i dont get new drivers (AMD RADEON HD6800 series). So yeah, dissapointing. If anybody has any tips let me know. 

Lyonel Aguilar

Unfortunately, autogen is the biggest hit on any system.  Depending on the quality of AI aircraft, AI is second.  Those coupled with bad tweaks or fsx settings and display driver settings, is a receipe for disaster.  There are no tweaks that I know of that will allow you to run FSX with high settings.  If you do not have the system to run it all (and most do not even with the most powerful systems), then you have to compromise or you will continue to be frustrated and that's no fun whatsoever.  Personally I have been tweaking fsx settings since it was released in 2006 and have found no solutions other than those I put into the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide.  I use the fsx.cfg and display driver settings shown in the guide.  They are high but the sim is still playable and provide great graphics.  Certainly you will run in to a glitch with low fps or lack of VAS once in a while but mostly, the settings work.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

After spending hours reinstalling FSX, PMDG, VAFS5 and my WOAI airlines (32 to be exact) I faced the same problem as before. Flew from KMIA to KTPA and the textures taking off were fantastic. However, I hardly got any generic textures (houses, trees, and stuff) while i was landing. As always, the textures were there as soon as I had landed and had a look around. This has also happened on go-arounds: all of a sudden the textures appear. Now I installed PMDG, VAFS5 and my WOAI airlines since Id rather give up good textures than fly without these addons. So I guess Im going to have to live with this problem.

I guess next step would be to try and lower the visual settings, as I have the scenery complexity and autogen density at the highest setting (scenery complexity since I otherwise don't get realistic airport buildings, and autogen density since its nice to have some houses around the blurry ground that is supposed to be a city...).My video card is sort of old, so i dont get new drivers (AMD RADEON HD6800 series). So yeah, dissapointing. If anybody has any tips let me know. 

I belive you should switch to intel + nvidia, my system is now old(2700K and 560ti)but i am able to run FSX on very high settings with tons of addons, and i don't have this problem. Only clouds(bad weather)can kill my FPS(becouse of GPU).  I plan to upgrade to 6700K and gtx 1080 soon, it will be interesting to compare performance  :smile:

BTW, if you are using accelerated simulation rate while in cruise, this will happen with any system. The only tip i can give you now is to switch to windowed, then again to full-screen mode when this happen. This will force FSX to reload textures

Unfortunately, autogen is the biggest hit on any system.  Depending on the quality of AI aircraft, AI is second.  Those coupled with bad tweaks or fsx settings and display driver settings, is a receipe for disaster.  There are no tweaks that I know of that will allow you to run FSX with high settings.  If you do not have the system to run it all (and most do not even with the most powerful systems), then you have to compromise or you will continue to be frustrated and that's no fun whatsoever.  Personally I have been tweaking fsx settings since it was released in 2006 and have found no solutions other than those I put into the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide.  I use the fsx.cfg and display driver settings shown in the guide.  They are high but the sim is still playable and provide great graphics.  Certainly you will run in to a glitch with low fps or lack of VAS once in a while but mostly, the settings work.

Best regards,

Jim

Yeah, I thought of that this morning. Lowered my settings to the default (however i did put the scenery complexity up, since I usually only notice a difference from that slider on airports). I've been flying Miami-Tampa to try it out. This time for the first time i got some trees to appear at 2600ft, but not much else in final approach. As usual, it all magically appeared when I landed or went around. I also limited FPS to 30. I'm planning on flying from Tampa to ATL, then to Cicinnatti and finally to Chicago. Maybe Tampa in particular is weird, since oddly I have gotten many more buildings and trees to appear earlier when approaching big cities... I'll keep on trying with settings. I haven't wanted to mess with the fsx.cfg file again though, since I'm affraid of messing it up even more. Same goes for FSXWX and AIsmooth (not going to install them until i find a better solution). I think I'll try to decrease autogen a notch again if the terrain is barren when I reach ATL. Ill let you know :)

I belive you should switch to intel + nvidia, my system is now old(2700K and 560ti)but i am able to run FSX on very high settings with tons of addons, and i don't have this problem. Only clouds(bad weather)can kill my FPS(becouse of GPU).  I plan to upgrade to 6700K and gtx 1080 soon, it will be interesting to compare performance  :smile:

BTW, if you are using accelerated simulation rate while in cruise, this will happen with any system. The only tip i can give you now is to switch to windowed, then again to full-screen mode when this happen. This will force FSX to reload textures

I'll definitely look into it when I get a new system. As far as this computer goes I don't think I should invest more money into it :)

Thanks for the windowed and back tip, ill try it out! As far as acceleration goes I don't really have to worry about that, I've always found acceleration too unrealistic for my taste ;-)

Lyonel Aguilar

I solved a lot of the problem by changing the autogen settings. I managed to have them on dense and have a good compromise between amount of objects and loading time.

Lyonel Aguilar