Sign in to follow this  
pkofman

X plane 11 autopilot

Working on getting xplane 11 autopilot working. In every plane that comes with xplane 11 the alt function is not working or it is working incorrectly. The autopilot alt functions are not working and when the a.p is engaged the plane always climbs and won't hold a heading. If I sent the vs to a negative value or set the capture mode it blows right through the alt target. When I look at the trim wheel it appears to be working much too hard. Amy ideas. Right now the sim auto pilot is useless

Thoughts on what could be wrong?. Peter

If you are wondering, the autopilot does work with XP11 beta 2. It sounds like you either have something corrupt in your installation or you are not following the instructions on how to use the autopilot. I doubt that it's the latter, so you might be better off asking about this on the xplane.org XP11 beta subforum. You might have run across a bug.

If you are wondering, the autopilot does work with XP11 beta 2. It sounds like you either have something corrupt in your installation or you are not following the instructions on how to use the autopilot. I doubt that it's the latter, so you might be better off asking about this on the xplane.org XP11 beta subforum. You might have run across a bug.

Thank you. I'll try over there. Thxs. Pete

Working on getting xplane 11 autopilot working. In every plane that comes with xplane 11 the alt function is not working or it is working incorrectly. The autopilot alt functions are not working and when the a.p is engaged the plane always climbs and won't hold a heading. If I sent the vs to a negative value or set the capture mode it blows right through the alt target. When I look at the trim wheel it appears to be working much too hard. Amy ideas. Right now the sim auto pilot is useless

Thoughts on what could be wrong?. Peter

You have to make sure that the autopilot is engaged, not only the flight director. If you click on the "alt" or "hdg" button, it will illuminate and the flight director will come on, but you have to manually engage the autopilot with the relevant button.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

You have to make sure that the autopilot is engaged, not only the flight director. If you click on the "alt" or "hdg" button, it will illuminate and the flight director will come on, but you have to manually engage the autopilot with the relevant button.

This is for xplane 11 beta

Yes that makes sense but in the stock 172 there is no fd button selection

so normally you select ap then alt hold or v/s ... where is the fd located if it needs to be selected

alt hold and v/s so not respond

In the king air there is a fd selection and ap

if i hit fd it shows in the annunciator panel ,but then if i hit ap and alt they who in the annunciator panel and fd is extinguished.

I also have the carenado m20j and it is doing the same thing

controller is x 52. 

Lots of testing today. I thing it's something to do with my 52 pro throttle and joystick. I'll pull out an old joystick and try it tomorrow. It is definitely not working

.. I having issues with the AutoPilot as well, might be me due to a luck of knowledge ( Though I have no issue with any of the AP in FSX)  or just a bug.

A. I'm trying to set the VS & the ALT but it's either this or this, can't have them together.

B. Can't find the FD in the C172SP ??

Any ideas

Tnx

Yair  

9 hours ago, N1125Y said:

I'm trying to set the VS & the ALT but it's either this or this, can't have them together.

Those are two different "vertical" modes.  You can only have one vertical mode active at any one time.  

...hummmm... so I can't set the desire altitude & rate of clime, very interesting, since I'm running FSX-SE and have no such issue I can set both to function at the same time    

2 hours ago, N1125Y said:

...hummmm... so I can't set the desire altitude & rate of clime, very interesting, since I'm running FSX-SE and have no such issue I can set both to function at the same time    

It works a little differently in X-Plane. The "ALT" or "HOLD" mode will activate altitude hold at the current altitude. If you use the "V/S" or "FLCH" mode instead, the autopilot will set the appropriate climb rate or IAS speed and then, when the aircraft is about to reach the pre-selected altitude, the autopilot will switch to "ALT" mode and capture the pre-selected altitude. In other words, if you select "V/S" or "FLCH", it's not necessary to select "ALT" mode.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

On 3/11/2017 at 8:27 PM, N1125Y said:

.. I having issues with the AutoPilot as well, might be me due to a luck of knowledge ( Though I have no issue with any of the AP in FSX)  or just a bug.

A. I'm trying to set the VS & the ALT but it's either this or this, can't have them together.

B. Can't find the FD in the C172SP ??

Any ideas

The default C172 doesn't include an altitude preselector. You climb and hit ALT manually at the altitude you want.

This is intentional -- Phillip (one of the X-Plane devs) just wrote a post about it over at the .org. It's because on a typical C172 trainer, you wouldn't be likely to find that particular autopilot with the added altitude preselector function. At that point the avionics would be worth more than the airframe. There are some decked-out 172's out there, but X-Plane is trying to model what you're likely to find in the real world. For a more full-featured autopilot, fly one of the more complex plane models.

I'm sure at some point there will be either a free or payware C172 with all the bells and whistles, a G1000, synthetic vision etc. But the default XP11 version will stay pretty basic. Austin and the rest of the crew at Laminar are sticklers for detail with this kind of thing.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I had the same problem with x52.  Try to disable the 2 rotating wheels on the throttle. In My case they where configured by default by xp as vertical and horizontal trim. This caused trouble with autopilot and the trim wheel worked very hard . Just go in the xp setup then in joystick config and move the 2 wheels. If they are associated to a trim control disable it and choose do nothing from the dropdown menu. Hope this Can be of some help

Parrafin - (or anybody really) - does that mean the default C172 autopilot in XP11 is more realistic than the one Im used to in FSX/P3D?  and also - what about the AP in the Cirrus?  Those are the only planes Ive flown in XP so far and both APs are different (but both work).  took me a while to find the altimeter adjustment though(Cirrus)...even though it was right in front of my face!  hate it when that happens ;)

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

13 minutes ago, sightseer said:

Parrafin - (or anybody really) - does that mean the default C172 autopilot in XP11 is more realistic than the one Im used to in FSX/P3D? 

It would depend on whether you're trying to simulate the vast majority of C172's that have more basic autopilots (like the default C172 in XP11), or one of the few where someone had dumped a ton of cash on avionics upgrades like altitude capture, glass cockpit, etc.

The default in XP11 is intended to be a standard C172 with what you'd expect to find in most of them, out in the real world.

and also - what about the AP in the Cirrus?  Those are the only planes Ive flown in XP so far and both APs are different (but both work).  took me a while to find the altimeter adjustment though(Cirrus)...even though it was right in front of my face!  hate it when that happens ;)

I haven't spent time in the Cirrus and don't know how the real one works, but I assume it's as close as Laminar can get it with the current state of XP11. I've heard that the Cirrus avionics will be updated for the G1000 when that new GPS is finished, and they're working on it.

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I know this is an old thread but I have recently got XP11, I'm glad I read this because it's been driving me nuts in the last few days.  On some aircraft there is no AP so I then choose another one.

I searched for ages on one aircraft, then I goggled it only to find a post where someone else had the same problem and the reply was from the author of the plane and he said he forgot to do that it was on his to-do list, shame because it is a nice aircraft.

So now if I set a course in Garmin I have to climb to the desired altitude before I can select the AP and ALT hold by then I've flown a good few miles off course.