Sign in to follow this  
igrouptech

GTN map freeze troubleshoot

i am having an issue with the GTN 750 in X-Plane 10 on windows 8/64 bit. It will work when it boots into X-Plane - but only changing radio frequencies, etc. As soon as I click on the MAPS button, it freezes and does nothing. At that point the only thing you can do is reboot it.

It acts as though it is not loading the maps database or can see that. 

I am not sure what I am doing wrong - it does function to a point, but I get no map functionality. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

While working on the other Garmin product in the pipeline, we might have found a bug that could affect the GTN. Can you please try disabling all winds in X-Plane (CAVOK, all 3 layers of wind at 0 knots) and see if this helps? If it does, can you please try un-selecting the 'Shadin air data' interface in the GTN menu, and see if this works even with winds?

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

the low, mid and high altitude winds were all set to 0 on the weather screen.  that did nothing to help the issue with maps. 

I am having the same issue with the GTN 650 in X-Plane 10 and windows 7/64 bit.  I am able to bring up the GTN and it works until I hit the map button.  It freezes every time.  I also notice that it freezes if I try to use the direct to function as well.  I've reloaded several times but still have the same issue.

I was able to load and activate an approach and it works on the NAV page.  This is really a cool feature and I'm very anxious to get if fully functional.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to not have it freeze.  I have virus and firewall functions shut off as well.  I also read the suggestion to turn off all the wind variables, disable the Shandin Fuel outputs and make everything clear with visibility unrestricted.

Thanks in advance.

Is there any entry in your windows event viewer pertaining to the GTN simulator process? If so I'd very much like to see what is there. Also just to make sure, is this happening with any aircraft or only a few?

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

The GTN-650 functions and does not freeze if I load an approach and activate it.  I can then manually follow the plan and use the default navigation page.  As long as I don't press the Map option, it continues to work.  I did notice that it does not automatically sequence through the legs in the flight plan.  I have to manually activate each leg.  I would also know what information I can provide to help you troubleshoot this issue or is it too confusing to have two of us reporting on the same thing?  If so, I will just observe how you are troubleshooting with igrouptech and stay out of the way.  I am very excited to use this product.  I really like the potential!  Thanks for putting it all together!  :)

starting a dedicated thread for this.

For now, here are the initial ideas I have to troubleshoot but I'm still wondering what is specific to this issue:

- The GTN uses Video Ram and renders using your 3D card, so the question is do you have enough VRAM available? You might check the amount used in the XP graphics settings, and lower the texture settings to minimum to compare if the freed VRAM solves this issue.

- Is this a database issue, i.e. you all fly around the same area and there is a bug in the database file that make it fail? Where are you flying?

- Have you changed/tweaked your X-Plane process priority settings? You might want to cross check it is running as "normal" and not "high".

as for the event viewer (sorry for the typo above), you just need to type "event viewer" in your windows start menu to find it. Once started, you just need to check in 'application' listing any entries about the GTN and probably just post the most recent one in your list in the forum.

I tried loading an airport on the other side of the country.  I've tried the default Seattle Airport, my own area in Central Cal, and finally Pittsburgh PA and have the same issue as soon as I press the Map icon of the program freezing so I don't thing it is a corrupt scenery database.

I looked at the XPlane resolution settings and am using about 224M of the card's VRAM.  I think that leaves plenty of room for the GTN.

I've listed more system specs below:

Total size of all loaded textures is 223.55M, not sure where to check the X-Plane process priority settings?

Intel® Core i7 2600 CPU@ 3.4GHz

Installed memory(RAM) 16.0 GB

64-bit Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1

AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series, Total Graphics Memory 4864 MB, Dedicated Video Memory 1024 MB

If I read this correctly, I have 1GB of VRAM and am only using 224M for XPlane.

I'm not sure how to change or tweak the XPlane process priority settings so I'm guessing that they are at whatever the default is.  I will keep looking for it.

Here is the last of many crash reports from the event viewer.

System
    - Provider
      [ Name] Windows Error Reporting
    - EventID 1001
      [ Qualifiers] 0
      Level 4       Task 0       Keywords 0x80000000000000     - TimeCreated
      [ SystemTime] 2016-12-11T21:47:44.000000000Z
      EventRecordID 8347       Channel Application       Computer Frank-PC       Security
- EventData
      1228753537       25       APPCRASH       Not available       107840439438       GTN Simulator.exe       6.1.1.0       57879a7c       atioglxx.dll       6.14.10.13399       55c02433       c00002b5       001668b3                       C:\Users\Frank\AppData\Local\Temp\WER55CD.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml C:\Users\Frank\AppData\Local\Temp\WER6CD7.tmp.appcompat.txt C:\Users\Frank\AppData\Local\Temp\WER6CE7.tmp.mdmp                       1       69cf0ace-b9ca-11e6-bace-d4bed99794fb       0

Another thing I noticed when running the GTN is that I cannot power up GTN 2.  I am able to bring it up on the screen but it is blank and will not turn on even if I select it as the primary. Not sure if it related but thought I'd add it as another point of reference.

Thanks again for spending the time trying to resolve this issue.  I really appreciate it.  

Thank you for the report, at least this gives directions. In your event:

1228753537       25       APPCRASH       Not available       107840439438       GTN Simulator.exe       6.1.1.0       57879a7c       atioglxx.dll       6.14.10.13399       55c02433       c00002b5       001668b3

the faulting module is 'atioglxx.dll' which is a file for the ATI OpenGL driver. 

the faulting condition is 0xc00002b5 which means "Unhandled exception: Multiple floating point traps"

the issue I've talked about in my post above is related to this same error, however, it looks like it is triggered in your OpenGL driver, not in our code. They might be related though, as any FP error does not trigger when the fault occurs, but when the FPU is accessed next. In other words, a module makes a fault in the FPU, and another module uses the FPU right after and crashes.

I'll look into this and in the meantime, if you have other (other module, other error) crashing events please let me know here.

Besides, I'm not too familiar with ATI drivers but I've not been able to find a match for your version (6.14.10.13399). Is this the latest driver version? They might have corrected a bug in their driver in a more recent version.

Thanks for looking at the event log and teaching me what some of those messages mean.  I think I'm going to give up on this one.  I bought another copy of the GTN-650 and loaded it on another machine.  It is working great and I am pleased to see that it was not my installation method.  The first machine that I installed the program on is an older gaming machine that I turned into a flight sim and have it all set up.  Unfortunately the hardware is probably outdated as well as the video card driver.  I did check and the ATI driver mentioned in the crash report is the latest drive for my card but hey are no longer supporting updates.  I'm not sure how to determine if I have other modules causing crashing events but I'm sure I do.  I've even had issues trying to upgrade some of the Windows 7 security updates (they were optional ones but I was going to load them anyways).

Thanks again and if there is some way to make it work on this machine, I would be grateful, if not, then it was worth a shot to ask.  I may even try getting a newer video card to see if that helps, at least it will have the most recent driver support.

Take care.

The only 2 customers with a similar problem are you and igrouptech. It would be great we find out what the issue with your graphics card/system/our software but it is quite difficult as well given the very low number of sources to compare results with.

Please let us know if you have the chance to try out different cards.

I just got this in Even Viewer

Faulting application name: GTN Simulator.exe, version: 6.1.1.0, time stamp: 0x57879a7c

Faulting module name: atioglxx.dll, version: 6.14.10.13283, time stamp: 0x546ea12d
Exception code: 0xc00002b5
Fault offset: 0x00112473
Faulting process id: 0x17c4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2587b71a1eaf3
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\GTN Trainer\GTN\sys\sim\GTN Simulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\atioglxx.dll
Report Id: bf9894c3-c46e-11e6-83bf-c69dd8e2289f
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Running an AMD 8320 Eight Core Processor 3.5 GHz 24 GB RAM 64 bit OS

Video Card is AMD Raedon R9 290 Series 4GB

Thank you for the reports. This one is also related to the ATI OpenGL Driver causing the same issue, although your driver version looks like being a little older.

We have a couple ideas to try solve this, first, an updated GTN release with a couple "possible" code paths which can lead to the 0xC00002B5 exception. This exception is related to the floating point unit and the problem with it, is that the faulting code won't trigger the exception. It is only the code using the FPU after the faulting code which triggers it, so it is hard to know if the fault lies in our code, trainer's code, or driver code along the calls chain.

Second, we will probably make a new build for you only, with a switch to enable some OpenGL debugging info, in the hope the ATI driver spits it out and tell us more on what causes the issue.

Again, thank you for your patience. Driver related bugs when not widespread (you are only 2 having an issue with our product) are very hard to pinpoint, but we will try our best at this.

That build would be awesome. I hate giving my email on public forums, so, let me know the best way to get you that info. I look forward to giving that a shot without having purchase a new video card.