Sign in to follow this  
bosflo

Oh no, here we go again

Hello everyone, here is the deal: been using P3D v2.5 for a while years with not too many problems. I have many many addons, FTX, STB, ASN, ai planes, and far too many airport addons so you name it, I probably have it.

So I knew when P3D v3 came out and you could not upgrade from v2 that the writing was on the wall and I would have to suck it up and buy the new version all over again. I did not think it would come so soon but it seems it has. I have been following the new texture package called envtex while also keeping my eye on as16 and rex skyforce. I have been deciding which one to buy, but surprise they all require P3D v3 so now the decision is made. I assume most cool new addons will be made for V3.

But, I have put many many many hours of work in P3D (as most of you) and I really don't want to keep doing this every single time. We all have to get off this merry go round and just have one working version. Now the real concern is having to install my add ons into the new P3D (what is the latest version anyway?) and I have some questions, with more to follow I'm sure.

Are all add ons compatible?

do I have to uninstall them completely?

do I need to reinstall everything when a new version comes out?

does the new version take up more space?

what is so different about v3?

what is the best way to completely uninstall P3D v2?

how much space does it take?

can i install it to a different drive?

x-plane 11 looks good :wink:

I know some of this information can be found by searching, but there is nothing like real time information from other simmers that have had the same situation. Thanks a bunch!

does the new version take up more space?

how much space does it take?

can i install it to a different drive?

x-plane 11 looks good

I would answer your questions based on my experience of FSX to P3dv3.0 then P3DV3.0 to P3dv3.4.

1. Yes

2. No, I went from P3dv3.0 to P3dv3.4 by uninstalling and reinstalling Client and Content files only. Since I have FTX work wide, Scenery was left alone.

3. No

4. Don't know between 2.5 v 3.0?

5. I would just uninstall from Control Panel, Uninstall Program. Uninstall all three parts.

6. I don't know exactly. With a 500 mb Ssd, there is plenty of space left over for a full Orbx install, (everything) and a good helping of aircraft add ons!

7. I have 3 Ssd. Windows on one, P3d on one, storage on one.

Quick answers, but others have more knowledge than me.

You mentioned X Plane. Its still a work in progress. They need some Orbx scenery, REX SC/TD, Seasons and FSX/P3d aircraft add ons....but then we would have 64 bit P3d, wouldn't we?

Did you mention a merry go round?

Cheers

David.

There are several stickied threads covering all your question at the top of the forums. Might I suggest you browse through them?

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I am assuming you are asking about moving from P3D 2.5 to P3D 3.4 (not moving within 3.x versions, which is much simpler).

Most, but not all. Add-on airport scenery, in particular, can have issues with lighting. I'd say about 25% of my add-ons that worked OK in 2.5 needed an update or intervention on my part (e.g. a custom ADE file) to solve that. All of my P3D-ready planes worked in v3.x without issue.

Usually not.

When minor versions come out, no. P3D is pretty good about preserving settings...you uninstall the old P3D module and reinstall the new. With major version changes (e.g. 2.x to 3.x) I always rebuild Rome from a fresh install.

The biggest improvement is VAS (memory) management. Lots of improvements made to free up memory when moving across the sceneryscape. Many other changes too numerous to re-post...see their docs. But the memory management was a huge step forward with OOM mitigation.

Use the LM uninstaller on P3D. There is no requirement to uninstall v2.x, however, as a license for 3.x is separate--you can legally keep both.

And yes, you can install P3D into the drive/directory of your choosing.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case