Sign in to follow this  
saintly1941

X-Plane 10 Hardware

Hi guys a very new newbie. I have had interest in XP 10 for quite some time so I would like some idea as to what I need to run the sim. Due to space etc and never run or played the XP 10 I don't really know which path to take. So with what I have already bought in preparation for starting up could you give me some idea from my list if it's ok and what would I really need to set things up.

My System Specs are thus:

Windows 7 Home Edition 64bit

Nvidia GTX 680

16MB RAM

CPU Intel® Core it-3770K CPU@ 3.50GHz

Hardware to hand(so far):

SAITEK Flight Yoke And 3-Lever Quadrant Module

Multi-Instrument Panel

X-52

Rudder Pedals

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Dual Throttles

HOTAS Flight Stick

Basically I need to know what I would need to power the aircraft from ground to air and how to steer the aircraft. So would the Thrustmaster paired up do the job instead of having to use key board?

Thanks in advance

Roger Cripps

The Thrustmaster Warthog joystick and throttles will work fine in X-Plane 10, and also the new X-Plane 11 currently in Beta. That's what I'm using, along with Saitek Combat Pro pedals.

You could also use your Saitek flight yoke or the other controls mentioned. Personally. I'm a fan of the Warthog stick and throttle because I fly helicopters as well as fixed wing in X-Plane. I've done a mod on the joystick that removes the heavy main spring, which allows more fine control with helicopters, but that's optional.

The rest of your computer specs look fine too.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

So I assume if I chose the Warthog all rudder activity and brakes etc can be activated through the Warthog. Which though, the stick or the throttle? You'll probably say both lol. I'll have to get used to it and try.

Thanks

So I assume if I chose the Warthog all rudder activity and brakes etc can be activated through the Warthog. Which though, the stick or the throttle? You'll probably say both lol. I'll have to get used to it and try.

Thanks

No, you'll want rudder pedals. The Warthog set has no yaw axis. With a HOTAS set this expensive and well made, it's sort of assumed you'll also be picking up a pair of rudder pedals. I use the Saitek Combat Pro pedals.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

How did I know you were going to come up with the "Yes need rudder pedals"? Of course, when I bought the gear I was only interested in FS2009 at the time, and still never got off the ground. Now X-Plane 10 has come along I went mad so to speak. Even todays searching for ideas on the Saitek products comes up every time Pro this and Pro that. So if it's unfortunate I only have the Pro-less lol. Should that make any difference? Back in the FS2009 days I couldn't use the Flight Instrument Panel because they weren't FS9 compatible, so that might have bee the reason why I came to a halt with the idea.

Also today while I was ferreting around clearing old paper work and cardboard boxes, I came across more hardware. An extra Saitek Throttle Quadrant so at the time I must have been thinking about going four engine jets too. Would I be correct in saying you would need a pair of 3 Lever Quadrants for the big stuff? Then to top it all off I found a couple more in the shape of a Multi Panel Multi Instrument Cockpit Panel + Radio Panel Radio Stack Cockpit Panel.

I don't honestly know how I can use them on a 12"X48" desktop.

Is that upgrading to a GPU as well as my present 680? My tower is a giant so no doubt there is room for one more if that is what you are saying I should do.

I'm sorry but I don't know how to use this "quote" to reply to you Sizziano.

Hi guys a very new newbie. I have had interest in XP 10 for quite some time so I would like some idea as to what I need to run the sim. Due to space etc and never run or played the XP 10 I don't really know which path to take. So with what I have already bought in preparation for starting up could you give me some idea from my list if it's ok and what would I really need to set things up.

My System Specs are thus:

Windows 7 Home Edition 64bit

Get 32 gig of ram will help a lot using XP which will use it - video card is lacking

Rich Sennett

Update. Whilst again having a ferret I found to my surprise the Saitek hardware(excluding the X-52) did have a little blue square on the box with the Pro.

Now I did ask the poster about his suggestion on an updated GPU but the best are expensive. Does this include the other suggestion to get a better card? Told you I'm a newbie and the terminology is basic I'm afraid. A card is the GPU isn't it? But please don't suggest upgrading the CPU as well I'm not rich by any stretch.

Just found my RAM should read 16GB. If the current hardware could take it all before I decide to upgrade(Dear Santa.....)

Roger