Sign in to follow this  
jozeff

Oculus rift or Vive and flyinside anyone using it?

Hello everyone,

Have been reading and thinking about VR al lot lately. In the P3d section there are some threads about it but since flyinside has just been released for XP I'm interested in anyones expierence with it.

The opinions vary widely. Some people thinks it's amazing but others complain about the low resolution and the need for killer pc to run VR.

I mostly fly GA aircraft and fly only in good weather conditions. I use Xp10 and 11 and I also bought p3d, fsx and aeroflyfs2. Therefore there are a lot of options to try VR.

My pc specs are:

I7 2600 k @ 4.4 gHz

Msi gtx970 slightly overclocked

Win 7 64 bit

32 Gb high quality memory

750 Watt psu

My sims run quit smoothly @ 3440 X 1440 but as I mentioned i only fly in nice weather and ga airplanes only.

Any recommendations or experiences Re more than welcom!

Thanks you,

Jozwff

The netherlands

I'm a vive owner, and I have never tried a rift. With that said, my specs are i7 6700k @ 4.7, gtx 980TI xtreme, 16gb ddr4 @2.7ghz and a evo 500 gb ssd for the sim.

I get very ok results flying with p3d v3.4 with flyinside. The tracking is very good, and with a camera addon like OpusFSI you wont have any trouble reading any gauges etc.

From my understanding reading various reviews comparing the rift and the vive, the vive gets out on top both because of price (if you are going for a full room scale on both) and because of the quality of room scale tracking. You dont really need room scale if you are simply going to use it in your sim. If you want options, and maybe try some other games etc, then the vive probably give you more flexibility without you having to bend over backwards to get it. However, I dont really think you can go seriously wrong picking either one. I can just say that I'm very happy that I picked the vive over the rift back in june. The hand controllers seem to get better reviews for the rift, but it's not like the vive ones are crappy (they are very good, but probably not as good as the rift).

If I understand correctly, you need 3 base stations to get room scale for the rift. Only 1 is shipped with the hmd. Then you need 2 hand controllers, with which another base station is shipped together with them. Then you need a third one. All of them need usb ports to function. The vive only need 2 to get great room tracking, and they only require power from your wall socket. From my point of view, the rift room scale is a sub optimal configuration in this regard, and end up costing alot more than the vive in the end concidering you need an extra pci-e usb card on top of buying 2 extra stations.

Only sitting down, you can actually get away with only buying the rift hmd (head mounted display). You dont really use the hand controllers while flying (at least I dont). That would indeed be a cheaper and just as good an option as buying the vive. Less options for varied use, if you ask me, but if that's the only thing you want to use it for, I would say the Rift is the better value for you.

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

Not sure where you're getting your info from, but it's just not correct...

1) if you DON'T WANT room scale (and ot's not needed for simming), you definitely spend less with Rift, as vive FORCES you to get it, and you spend $200 MORE

2) as stated in lots of places, you can do room scale depending on the scale with just TWO sensors, meaning your cost is 599 + 199, or ~800, the same proces aa the vive

3) Even if you want the third sensor, you only spend $80 more. Given that the Rift also comes with an Xbox One controller plus the wireless adapter, I would say that nullifies the price difference..

So in a nutshell, if you just want seating you can pay less for a rift, and if you also want room scale, you pay about the same with definitely superior motion controllers...

Edit: additionally, the flyinside folks will be adding touch support soon. Imagine the "feel" of doing the same with those dreadful wands...

Thank you for your reply!

The walking around with vr glasses is not what i'm intended to do. It will be purely for flight simming. Have some worries about my gtx970 and pretty old cpu (which feels still pretty fast...). The point is that the rift costs about 850 dollars in the netherlands and for that money you don't want something that might be disapointing. You want something awesome like my dell 3440 x 1440 screen that cost about the same.

Some people compare the rift to flight simulator 2002 on a 720p screen resolution wise. That is not what I'm looking for to say the least.

Like to hear some opinions!

Thanks!

Not sure where you're getting your info from, but it's just not correct...

1) if you DON'T WANT room scale (and ot's not needed for simming), you definitely spend less with Rift, as vive FORCES you to get it, and you spend $200 MORE

2) as stated in lots of places, you can do room scale depending on the scale with just TWO sensors, meaning your cost is 599 + 199, or ~800, the same proces aa the vive

3) Even if you want the third sensor, you only spend $80 more. Given that the Rift also comes with an Xbox One controller plus the wireless adapter, I would say that nullifies the price difference..

So in a nutshell, if you just want seating you can pay less for a rift, and if you also want room scale, you pay about the same with definitely superior motion controllers...

Edit: additionally, the flyinside folks will be adding touch support soon. Imagine the "feel" of doing the same with those dreadful wands...

From what i understand you do not get a full roomscale 360 freedom with 2 stations on the rift. When you turn your back to the stations they loose tracking. From the guides i read you need 3 stations for a full 360 degree room scale. I might be mistaken, since i rely on third party sites for info since i dont own a rift. Your math is probably off in regards to total cost since you are likely to need a usb pcie card to fit all those usb port connectors to your pc (concidrring you also need free port for your sim hardware). That said, i did conclude with the rift being the better option if the only thing you want to do is use it sitting in your sim.

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

Hello,

I have the HTC Vive , with leap motion developer bundle, and with that setup, you can use your hands to toggles controls, press buttons and switches in virtual cockpit (with some planes as of now) maybe an upgrade will change that later.

You have to spend some time configuring the setup according to your liking, sometime the Vive hand controllers and leap motion controllers conflict with each other, and you lose the ability to use the Vive controllers to press button and switches in VR cockpit, for example,  you need to press a trigger button on Vive controller to call up flyinside menu to access the various configurations in flyinside , but you cant do it because the controller gets inactive in five minutes for some reason.

The immersion factor is great, the only downside is with the graphics, but all in all its great to use Vive and flyinside, but as I mentioned to get full benefits out of it you have to read manual and other resources available out there to make it work to your liking.

Best regards,

Aftab.

AFTAB HINGORO

I tried my sons Oculus with P3D

I have a 4770k @4.6 and a gtx 1080

3D effects = awesome

Tracking = flawless

Resolution = not ready for prime time

I had a very hard time reading main gauges, secondary gauges were forget about it. Screen door effect was awful.

I much prefer my 4k monitor with TrackIR for the time being.

I'm by no means an expert with the device. If there is some setting I missed that made my experience poor, I'd love to try it again.

• Upvote 1

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

3D effects = awesome

Tracking = flawless

I had a very hard time reading main gauges, secondary gauges were forget about it. Screen door effect was awful.

+1.  My experience in a nutshell.  I highly recommend buying with some kind of return-to-store option if trying one of the current generation VR goggles for simming.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

3D effects = awesome

Tracking = flawless

Accurate description.  The immersion factor is great, but the screen resolution is really poor.  I don't regret buying mine.  Early adopters are used to putting up with that sort of thing.  But, it is not the first choice for serious simmers, I think.

From what i understand you do not get a full roomscale 360 freedom with 2 stations on the rift. When you turn your back to the stations they loose tracking. From the guides i read you need 3 stations for a full 360 degree room scale. I might be mistaken, since i rely on third party sites for info since i dont own a rift. Your math is probably off in regards to total cost since you are likely to need a usb pcie card to fit all those usb port connectors to your pc (concidrring you also need free port for your sim hardware). That said, i did conclude with the rift being the better option if the only thing you want to do is use it sitting in your sim.

Here, take a look at the comments where there are lots of examples and videos of using just two sensors:

http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-touch-support-room-scale-360-tracking-extra-cameras-sensor/

My math is not off. My computer has 8 usb ports, as does any modern rog (and soecially one that has to be "VR Ready". And even if so, I'm sure an extra $5 for he who needs it doesn't really weigh in on this...

I can read the gagues just fine by moving my head forward. The immersion factor definitely trumps the lack of super crisp graphics.

I have a 1440p, and no way I'm wasting money on a 4K monitor over my VR setup...

• Upvote 2

I have the Rift. One sensor is fine in fact it works great with P3D/XP 10 FlyInside. AeroFly FS2 has native VR built in its 64 bit platform so it is quite a bit better than the 3rd party solution for P3D/XP10. I have FlyInside for the latter. The sensation of flying VR is second to none. You actually feel immersed in your plane. All the correct height and perspectives are there. You fly a 747 you feel its size. The avionics and panels need a better solution for clarity, though FI gives you the ability to zoom in. You can import windows for both so flighplanning etc. can be done in cockpit like you had an IPAD on your lap. The windows are freely moveable.

AeroFly FS2 has much better clarity of the panels, avionics etc. Just flys way better than the other sims with FI. Native built VR and 64 bit both are important it would seem at creating a way better experience.

I have a i7-4790 3.5 ghz. 16GB DDR3 ram, GTX 1080AmpExtreme 8GB. I had a 970 before this and it was fine but that is the minimum card requirement. Not sure about your CPU though.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

I made a video some time ago with my Dk2 looking through one of the lenses so you can have an idea what it looks like. I use both P3D and X Plane with Flyinside but i preffer the second one. Feels smoother and love the night lighting. By the way my specs are i7 4790k 4.6 ghz gtx 970.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh3RTLhUBn0

Seems like there is always a love or hate  comment on any VR topic. I can tell you that of course we would love 4K quality in VR, but when you go VR and then back to 2D it feels boring and not realistic. Then when you are in VR you miss the crisp textures. Why should one be better than the other? We can just love both for different reasons. However it's not that bad as many say. I don't have a 4K monitor, but on my 1920x1080 monitor I was never using the FMC from the main pilot view. I was using an Ezdok or Chaseplane preset to zoom in to the FMC when I wanted to use it. You do the same in VR and you see everything fine and clear. When ChasePlane support VR I will be able to zoom to any MFD just like I did in 2D. The best is that even without it,  you can just lean over them physically and see them clearly. So, move your head down and right and program the FMC. Or lean forward and read the QNH. Also, in VR you can fully appreciate the HUD display and understand why its convenient especially when landing. My only  complaint in resolution is the two PFDs that can be a blurry when un-zoomed and I need to see them without zooming sometimes. However I have -1.5 myopia (shortsighted) and currently waiting my VR lenses, so that may make it better. You can certainly read most of the numbers though with some guessing sometimes. The fact that you can lean to the right and come close to the MCP, or look at your right and change the COM frequency fast and so intuitively makes flying so much easier and enjoyable than moving with presets views to different panels.

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

I have a i7-4790 3.5 ghz. 16GB DDR3 ram, GTX 1080AmpExtreme 8GB. I had a 970 before this and it was fine but that is the minimum card requirement. Not sure about your CPU though.

I bought the Oculus Rift a few days ago. Been busy, will install today tho! I did run the Oculus compatibility app and my only problem is the USB situation. Ordered a 4 port PCIe, 3.0 card to go into short PCIe slot. Got it on Amazon and recommended by Oculus, The card is powered thru the PCIe bus AND has SATA and Molex split wire setup etc. You have plenty of power and can charge thru the unit.  I am running a AMD 8350 at 4.4Ghz. I grabbed an XFX RX- 480 8GB over clocked video card while getting the Rift. Oculus stated the FX-8350 works fine? My first gen., ASUS mobo has USB 3.0 updating the drivers did no good, not sure if their is a difference in cable quality or not, like HDMI? I also purchased Fly Inside and Leap Motion. VR intrigues the hell out of me, updates in functions seem to be coming in at an astounding rate, some very good developers out there. I use a BenQ 1ms monitor at 1920x whatever,forgot? It's refresh rate is very good. I don't have X-Plane yet, waiting for 11. My rig runs FSX Steam at 30FPS +- a few at JFK w/ AS etc. The RX-480 shows better textures and improves the picture and seems to load faster.

I will let you guy's know how a made out.

Best

BaldyB

Only sitting down, you can actually get away with only buying the rift hmd (head mounted display). You dont really use the hand controllers while flying (at least I dont). That would indeed be a cheaper and just as good an option as buying the vive. Less options for varied use, if you ask me, but if that's the only thing you want to use it for, I would say the Rift is the better value for you.

If you do buy the Rift hand controllers you get another sensor with them in the package. You can also purchase a single sensor from Oculus now, a change in policy! So, $599.00 and $199.00 is approx., the same as the Vive, give or take a few $.

Best

BaldyB

BaldyB, I am really hoping to see you update this thread, as I built a similar machine and want to decide on VR for Prepar3D and XP 11.

Thanx!