Sign in to follow this  
jozeff

Oculus rift or Vive and flyinside anyone using it?

After trying VR it's hard to go back to 2D - it just feels very boring, like an old toy.

I wouldn't recommend to jump in right now though, unless you already own a 1080GTX. 970 - just forget about it. You need massive supersampling for it to look good. You will bring any rig to it's knees - so anything else than a current high end rig will force you to make tough compromises. For X-Plane, that means disabling HDR - which will make it look really bad (even more so in VR). Also, FlyInside performance is shaky at best (at least it's ambitious), my hopes lie in native VR support for XP11. Once that hits (along with better GPU's - I think we'd be very lucky to see it in 2017), 2D flightsim will be obsolete.

• Upvote 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

BaldyB, I am really hoping to see you update this thread, as I built a similar machine and want to decide on VR for Prepar3D and XP 11.

Thanx!

Sorry for not updating sooner. I have been busy, We moved late last summer into a different home and got a good deal on it, repairs required of course!  I am the type who sticks his nose into everything, never brought my car to a mechanic, became one. Never hired an electrician, became a reasonable one and studied the code. Same with plumbing, ETc.

So, it needed a new 200 Amp service, did that myself, including hooking up the power drop to the weather head. Got Misibisi Mini Split units 5 for the house and 1 for me. Built new cabinets for the kitchen with Formica Calcutta Marble counter tops with a farmhouse sink. All out of wood, hate particle board. Needed a slew of minor repairs. I'll be 82 in a few weeks so I don't move as fast as I like! 

I did purchase another sensor from Oculus's site, took forever, could not find it elsewhere at the time. I found tracking was improved and placed the sensors at a bout a 45 degree angle and about 3' from my head. I need to build a workstation better suited for VR and will do so soon. I re-installed PMDG's 737 NGX and found Flyinside could handle it better, not bad at all. Like half or more of the FS universe I purchased PMDG's 747 V3 yesterday. I have not heard much nor have I had a chance to fly it. Putting European style hinges on cabinet doors at the moment. My daughter the painter is waiting!

I intend to wait and see what AMD Ryzen and it's new Vega has to offer. It looks real good so far. Is another TBird type CPU coming soon? The RX-480 turned out to be a good investment for the money.

Flyinside needs more work but is still stunning. I have it set up to be usable for now. Wish I had more time but am eager to get out of the cellar for meals, cooking Etc. It is a clean cellar but Coleman stoves are better for camping! Between the Samsung Multi Fuel $3,000.00 stove and a high end Samsung dishwasher came out to about what I paid for the first house I bought, Crazy, no?

I will keep you posted as best I can.

Best

BaldyB

Denis Bolduc

Flyinside claims to have an update coming very soon. They say the PMDG botton/knob issues have been fixed. As well as the mouse issues? I have been Flying the NKG, found a few tricks but it really needed to be fixed! And it includes all platforms presently supported.

Best

BaldyB

If you still need to know, I am using the Oculus Rift CV1 with FSX - and X-plane 10 &11. I also use MCE and Flyinside for all three Sims. Magic!! I make my own checklist and add them to all three Sims. Currently flying from cold and dark EGKK to EGPH close down. Virtually real! :)

Regards

Alan

I use Rift and Flyinside and have SLI.  SLI does magic for Flyinside - I get Nvidia VR SLI with it

Now Flyinside does take VAS there is no way around it.  Like 400-500MB. 

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)