Sign in to follow this  
Stearmandriver

Edit the windshield reflection/glare, or haze, on the LDR Mallard?

Hello,

I've been playing around with the LDR team's Mallard that they released last year over at SOH.  Fantastic aircraft, doubly so because it's freeware!

However, I've noticed it has a mildly annoying trait that I've seen plague several other aircraft (to include payware) - the cockpit windows have just a bit too much haze, or glare/reflection, on them.  The result of this is, scenery looks a bit duller, colors seem washed out, in certain lighting conditions.  This is kind of a bummer considering all the fun places to play with a plane like this...

I've been reading up on editing alpha channels, and I was able to successfully edit one file, called Cabin_Glass_Mal.dds, that improved things.  Altering this file's alpha channel to pure white removed some dark "patterning" on the windows and improved the view quite a bit, but now I'm just hoping to tone down the hazing a bit.  I've tried altering the alpha channels of every other file I can find in the textures folder that seems like it could possibly relate to glass or windows, with no luck.

Any chance someone could point me in the right direction?

BTW, I don't mean to sound like I'm criticizing the plane - it really is awesome, if you like that kind of thing and haven't seen it you need to check it out.  I'll be honest, the window effect is actually pretty realistic most of the time (it might be just a little over the top in some lighting).  It's just that one of the things I like to do in FSX is enjoy all the amazing scenery available; some of this stuff is artwork.  So... if it's achievable, I personally would like clearer windows.  YMMV ;-).

Thanks...

Andrew Crowley

If editing the textures doesn't provide any improvement, you're out of options as the transparency is most likely hard coded in the model file.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Is editing the model file not an option then?

It is possible to "edit" the model file for your own use only via Arno's marvelous ModelConverterX (MCX) utility.

It is not however for the faint of heart as the nitty-gritty of what needs to be changed and/or adjust is definitely not intuitively obvious.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

It is possible to "edit" the model file for your own use only via Arno's marvelous ModelConverterX (MCX) utility.It is not however for the faint of heart as the nitty-gritty of what needs to be changed and/or adjust is definitely not intuitively obvious.

Ah, thank you for that tip! I'd done some reading and reached the conclusion that a model could not be edited, but I'm up for a challenge, I might give it a go. I've been having fun flying this Mallard around the south Pacific, and the water and scenery down there is so gorgeous (ORBX, PSI) that it would be great to clear that window up. This is the perfect plane for down there otherwise. Although I discovered both cockpit side windows roll down, so at least the view out the sides is nice and clear...

Andrew Crowley