Sign in to follow this  
caaront

Should I leave XP11 beta totally default? New at this beta stuff.

If I add stuff, scenery, aircraft, mesh, etc to the beta to get a bit more eye candy etc, does each new beta version have an effect on the add on's, positive or negative?

And when the actual release of XP 11 comes out will there be a whole new install of XP 11 and then all of the add on's, etc?

To tell the truth I am pleased to fly it as is right on through to the finish, and then worry about customizing it.

Aaron Tirrell

If I add stuff, scenery, aircraft, mesh, etc to the beta to get a bit more eye candy etc, does each new beta version have an effect on the add on's, positive or negative? add ons might break but the developer has to update

And when the actual release of XP 11 comes out will there be a whole new install of XP 11 and then all of the add on's, etc? first time i follow new version but history of increment updates no you get a patch only, however maybe full version different

To tell the truth I am pleased to fly it as is right on through to the finish, and then worry about customizing it. i added lot of stuff everythign looks good with new lighting engine, PBR...cannot wait final...

• Upvote 1

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

I only installed scenery (mesh, airports, Ortho4XP Tiles etc.) and it keeps on working well with every update. The way you install things into XP is easy and awesome and I don't think it will give you any problems with future updates. For actual beta testing purposes though I try to keep XP as basic as possible: I only have freeware airports installed right now. I can't stand empty airports. ;) If you just want to have fun with it all, go ahead and install whatever you like. ;) Afaik only a few payware addons have problems with XP right now so you might come across some incompatibility problems.

Just copy the vanilla XP 11 folder to another name and use the copied version to try out all sorts of stuff. Good chance that Laminar will change some stuff which will break a lot of the tweaks and workarounds people are doing at the moment. Also Airplane developers have been advised not to make their planes XP 11 compatible just yet as a few things are broken.

Example: Default install folder

"C:\X-Plane 11" <-- use this for keeping X-Plane default

Copy c:\X-Plane 11 -> "c:\X-Plane 11 Playground" and use this to try out all sorts of stuff.

that's how I do it but totally up to you.

• Upvote 1

Just copy the vanilla XP 11 folder to another name and use the copied version to try out all sorts of stuff. Good chance that Laminar will change some stuff which will break a lot of the tweaks and workarounds people are doing at the moment. Also Airplane developers have been advised not to make their planes XP 11 compatible just yet as a few things are broken.

Example: Default install folder

"C:\X-Plane 11" <-- use this for keeping X-Plane default

Copy c:\X-Plane 11 -> "c:\X-Plane 11 Playground" and use this to try out all sorts of stuff.

that's how I do it but totally up to you.

Nice! Great how 'portable' XP is!

As other said above, added scenery is fine and shouldn't be touched by future beta patches or the final release version of XP11.

The one thing to be cautious about is adding v10 plane models. You can't break anything in the sim itself: just add them in a folder under /Aircraft. But you may see things that don't work, or look weird, and it's too early to tell whether it's something a future v11 patch will fix, or it's something the plane modeler will have to fix.

For example:

I'm flying one XP10 model (X-Trident Bell 412) that needed a temporary patch from the modeler to work at all in the beta. Another plane (DDen Turbo Goose) works, but has weird cockpit lighting and can't load some custom liveries. Yet another model (Dreamfoil Bell 407) won't work at all, the engine flames out. So it will take a while to figure out backwards compatibility for anything other than the XP11 default aircraft.

FWIW, here's a recent post from the dev blog from Dec 10 titled "It Is Too Soon To Update Your X-Plane 10 Add-On To V11" that discusses some of these issues.

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor