Sign in to follow this  

What to do when you get a bad addon

Okay, I am not saying a BAD add-on in terms of quality or realism, I mean if your computer is seemingly "incompatible" with this add-on like there are so many bugs or problems you run into its not fun to fly. I have run into countless problems with the Captain Sim 707. If you look at my profile, I did post quite a bit about it and I felt like there were too many problems to keep posting. When I try to research how to fix these issues I find that almost nobody has the same ones. It's makes me feel bad to not fly this because I know it is a good, realistic representation of the real thing, its just that with my computer, I can't even seem to properly navigate or change my views in the cockpit. I spent 40$ on this airplane and I really want to find a way to use it to is full potential because I did not spend that money on nothing.

Is it really a bad addon or a pilot not willing to read the manual,  learn the systems, and do a lot of practice flights to get it right?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I have a printed copy of the manual and I have done several flights while exactly following video tutorials, and again I am not saying it is a bad addon I am saying I have a few bugs that are kind of ruining my experience with the airplane. I am not blaming the addon or the creators for the problems I am having, I am just wondering what to do about the many small problems I am having such as: Not being able to do Shift+ Commands, No sounds coming from switches or buttons, INS not aligning even with weather and engines turned off, not being able to turn on autopilot with INS navigation. My main problems are rooted in the INS installation which has taken away some important abilities. 

Personally, I have a few airplanes parked in my hangar that I rarely look at, and may possibly scrap at some point.

For that, I also have a few airplanes that I fly a lot and take good care of  :wink:

Bert

So the ones that you don't really use are payware right? Because I just can't find any solutions to fix the problems to my 707, so I will just keep trying and if I don't prevail, if I can't fly it then I won't.

So the ones that you don't really use are payware right? Because I just can't find any solutions to fix the problems to my 707, so I will just keep trying and if I don't prevail, if I can't fly it then I won't.

Correct - spent the money - parked the airplane..

• Upvote 1

Bert

Lets face it. With just about all this stuff you basically pays your money and takes your chances. We all get burned from time to time. The best defense I find is stick to reputable quality producers such as PMDG, or A2A, ASN among many others. That's why I spend so much time on AVSIM. 

Vic green

Very true, I should have looked into it more but I was really excited that a 707 sim even existed because I love old jets, I guess I took a chance with this one not knowing how my system would react, but who knows, one day I could get it to work to its full potential, but for now I might just park it for a while until I can figure out how to get up and running. Thanks for your replies!

Very true, I should have looked into it more but I was really excited that a 707 sim even existed because I love old jets, I guess I took a chance with this one not knowing how my system would react, but who knows, one day I could get it to work to its full potential, but for now I might just park it for a while until I can figure out how to get up and running. Thanks for your replies!

Have you tried asking for help on the CaptSim forum?

The official one, not the one here.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Personally I don't think that you have a "bad addon" problem.

From what I gather from your other threads, you may have corrupted your panel.cfg when you tried to install the CIVA INS. Perhaps it would be a good idea to start fresh, which means uninstalling and reinstalling the whole plane (or, if you made a backup copy of the original panel.cfg, try that one)

Then enjoy her for a while and try to get to grips with the standard operations. I have had this addon for a long time, and I fly it often, but I have rarely used the Doppler. IIRC it seemed a bit clunky, and I am not sure if it was indeed working correctly. But I seem to remember that it did, after a lot of trial&error.

The CIVA INS on the other hand is a complex addon in itself that makes it necessary to really get to grips with the functionality before you can make use of it. On top of that it is a "generic" instrument, made to work with a multitude of aircraft - it is not specifically adapted or taylored to the CS 707.

LORBY-SI

There are lots of people spent large amount of money buying real airplane, probably fly it for some flights and put it in hangar or ramp for years.

Happen in my home airport right here.

So when we buy addons and we don't use it, sounds like as real as it gets I guess?

I know, it's frustrating when we buy something and it doesn't work for us as we expected, I find it more to the "not suitable" side. There are addons which I buy and use, happy with it, only when reading the reviews and comments that I know there are bugs in the product.

As long as it doesn't bother me or not affect my flight, I'm ok with it.

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

Fortunately, if the panels and systems of an aircraft add-on are coded in XML, I can just take a metaphorical wrench and make fixes or improvements myself. See the Metroliner or DC-9.

The only bummer is wasteful resource use of the visual model as there's not much you can do other to shrink and compress (some) textures to alleviate that.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

How difficult would it be to go into the xml files and try to make fixes?

Can't think of a "one size fits all" answer, so you may pick.

a ) If you have to ask, it's too difficult.

b ) Programming the Apollo Guidance Computer was child's play in comparison.

c ) Harder than trying to understand your significant other.

Have you tried the CS support forums?

• Upvote 2

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Have you tried the CS support forums?

They have closed the forums from what I have heard, no loss if that cowboy outfit has folded their tent and left the business IMHO.

I can count on one hand the truly satisfactory FSX/P3D aircraft add-ons that I have out of all the money spent over the years.

It comes down to PMDG and Realair really and the latter has just closed it's doors.