Sign in to follow this  

What to do when you get a bad addon

They have closed the forums from what I have heard, no loss if that cowboy outfit has folded their tent and left the business IMHO.

I have run into countless problems with the Captain Sim 707. If you look at my profile, I did post quite a bit about it and I felt like there were too many problems to keep posting.

Not a big fan of Captain Sim, but I just checked and their support forums, including for the 707, are alive and well.  You need to log in using an order number, and then select "Access to Pilot's Lounge."

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

If the OP is only concerned with one aircraft being 'wrong', all I can say is he has been very lucky or has not bought many add-ons! I have a shedload of aircraft that I've bought because everyone was waxing lyrical about them, only to find they are dogs! I know, I've been reading the wrong opinions. :smile: A few rules I've applied to myself. Buy only A2A, RealAir(used to be) Flight1 or Milviz. Although it came pretty close with Milviz recently. A got the MB530 helicopter and spent DAYS trying to get it started. I was on the point of ditching it when persistence paid off. :yahoo:Love it now. Flight1 because they have a, I think, unique 30 day refund. I recall very clearly being convinced to buy their King Air. Now there is nothing wrong with it but it was faaar too convoluted for me. Sent it back, got a refund. 

Anyway, interesting thread, which makes a nice change. :smile:

EDIT: Who am I kidding? I'll very likely buy more dogs in the future.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I have found that proper research will seriously reduce your chances of buying an incompatible stinker. It still happens though. I have a "graveyard" folder full of them.

Only the brands listed in Ron's posts provide a sure experience.  Othes may, aerosoft stuff designed by aerosoft works well generally though it is not complete but they acknowledge this. Carenado looks great but often has problems when it comes to things like the GPS.  

I do feel a few designers turn out their planes too quickly without bothering to test they release it as a payware product and it is poor, it may be satisfactory for freeware but payware needs more attention.

Harry Woodrow

Yeah I am really thinking about getting the Carenado Citation 525a, from the videos I have seen it looks great but I think I learned a lesson on this 707, I should probably do a bit more research before I get it though.

Yeah I am really thinking about getting the Carenado Citation 525a

Another one that does not work properly, looks great though and flys great until you try the autopilot and realise the FLC is fubar.

This applies to all of the Carenado jets.

Yeah I am really thinking about getting the Carenado Citation 525a, from the videos I have seen it looks great but I think I learned a lesson on this 707, I should probably do a bit more research before I get it though.

I've got the Captain Sim B707 and like it.  I've not had any real trouble with it.  For me it is very similar to the Captain Sim B727.  I've found that Captain Sim does a good job with steam gauges.  

If you want a good freeware B707, go to HJG.  They have excellent models that fly well and their textures are excellent.  The only drawback is HJG only has 2-D panels. 

There are several of us on here who fly the CS B707 without any problems.  If you can't get it going, let us know and we will try to help.  I may be a little slow to respond with holiday commitments.

blaustern

• Upvote 1

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

I find that sometimes people forget that a lot of undesirable characteristics are very much deliberately implemented to replicate the real thing's behaviour. Take the autothrottle on a DC-9 for example. Casual pilots may complain that it's unusable in a flight, but on the real thing, it was solely intended to hold V_ref on approach. And even then, it was seldomly used because manual throttle control is much more accurate and quicker. Same for the "speed by pitch" mode. Working, but not perfect at all. Or early autopilots in general, which were nothing more than devices for holding heading and altitude. Or awful altitude performance due to realisitic engine performance envelopes. Or startup procedures that always rely on a external or APU bleed air or a cartridge to get a turbine spinning. Or the tendency of a 727 to fall out of the sky if you don't fly it down to touchdown or...I could go on. Whenenver I did research on a plane, I at least had a "oh dear, the real thing's just that bad!" moment. So to discriminate a "good" addon from a "bad" one, research on the real thing should be the first order of business.

If it turns out to be a glaring bug, it should, of course, be taken to the developer. Same as a large performance impact. But for the rest, googling real pilot opinions and reports shall be the first order of business.

• Upvote 1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

I don't think I've ever bought a bad add-on as such, but I do have some that, while they seemed to tick all the boxes when I was buying them, just didn't gel with me and ended up as hangar queens. Among these would be the Flight Replicas Super Cub, Just Flight Electra 10, and SibWings Bird Dog. I'm not denying the quality, just the "chemistry". My Milviz Baron is also hangar-bound, but that's because it performs badly on my rig. However a new rig wil be arriving this week, and I look forward to stress-testing it with that Baron...

So the ones that you don't really use are payware right? Because I just can't find any solutions to fix the problems to my 707, so I will just keep trying and if I don't prevail, if I can't fly it then I won't.

I have a few aircraft from Wilco that I am willing to part with.  A little dusty, but they run. :)

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Glynn, no they have not closed the forums. Please do some research before making blanket statements.

Ron

• Upvote 1

Ron Service

Glynn, no they have not closed the forums. Please do some research before making blanket statements.

Ron

Sorry Ron just checked and they are still open unfortunately.

Is the 757 fixed yet ?

So, having trouble navigating a classic? Does this iteration of the 707 have a GPS you can call up? (call it a retrofit for today's modern world if you will..)

Back in the day, there was no GPS, you had to radio navigate from VOR to VOR on the airways shown on the charts with DME and NDBs thrown in for good measure (apologies if you already knew this!).

Have you tried assigning keys to change views? What do the default ones do?

How does she hand fly if you take her for a non-ATC VFR spin? It's just a sim, you can dispense with real world procedures now and again ;)

Good luck.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Trust me there are plenty of bad addons, just levels of bad for varying reasons.

14ppkc-6.png