Sign in to follow this  
Markek

USB Hubs not Installing Correctly

I would appreciate any help resolving issues with a new custom build dedicated FSX system and problems associated with USB ports.  I put in this discussion forum as I think it's cpu and not  hardware related.

Interesting that I did not have any problems with old system, also a Windows 7 custom buildand using the same GoFlight, etc modules.

Here's what's happening: The computer freezes at start up most, but not all (90%?) of the time, when I have the USB hubs plugged in. Unplug them and Windows 7 boots fine every time.  If I plug the hubs in after Windows 7 has completed start up, some will install and some will not install correctly.  The hubs need to be plugged in as the computer boots or most of the time many of the USB ports connected to the hubs will not install.  And to make it even more confusing, it is random as to which will install each time. Sometimes, one USB port on a particular hub will install and not another and then next time, other way around.  Don't see a pattern as to what load on any given start-up.

I am running approximately 22 USB ports on 2 powered USB hubs.  (One has 24 ports, the other has 12-split the modules up just to spread the usage.)  Most are GoFlight modules, with a CH yoke and Saitek rudder pedals.

I took the CPU back to the store that built it and it tested fine but that is without multiple USB hubs/ports attached.  I asked it it was a power supply issue and the head tech said the motherboard was designed for many more usb hubs than I am using and these are powered hubs at that.

Please ask questions if I haven't provided enough information.  Don't know much about computers so I may have omitted pertinent information.

My specs are:  Asrock X99 Fatality mb,Intel I7-6800k, Windows 7 Pro, Corsair H115I liquid cooler, EVGA GTX1080 PCIE HD3DP,, Crucial 32GB 4X8 D4 2666 Elite, Samsung 1TB SSD, EVGA SUPRNOVA 850G2 80G FM PSU.

Thanks for any assistance.

Mark K

With all your External Hubs disconnected, check that all Generic Hubs (via Device Manager) are not set to "Turn Off" in order to save power, also Root Hubs (right click and select Properties/Power Management Tab).  If all is well, I would be inclined to run the Driver update utility (Right click appropriate items).  Again from within Device Manager, for your USB Chipset Host Controller.

All the above can be found by clicking Control Panel/System, or right clicking "My Computer" and selecting Device Manager, from the list on the left.  Then scroll to the bottom of the list and open up "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Thanks for your help but still not working.  The "turn off"in order to save power were indeed all checked and are now unchecked.  That may have helped Windows 7 not freeze on start up -too early to say since it is intermittent but I still get the "did not install correctly" messsage on many of the modules.

Also, I checked for Driver updates but the message was that I have the most updated drivers.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Mark K

I just suffered from the same problem. I unplugged all usb except mouse and deleted all usb entries in devic manager. Then plug back in and let windows reinstall the drivers. It took a few tries and finally worked when I plugged the hub into a blue sub 3 port. I also ran a sub registry cleaner called USBOblivion.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I see :

USB Root Hub (X3), USB Composite Device, USB 3.0 Hub, USB 2.0 MTT Hub, Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller (X2), Intel USB 3.0 Root Hub, Intel USB eXensible Host Controller, Generic USB Hub (X2), Corsair Hydro Series 7289 USB Device, AS Media USB 3.1 eXtenensible Host Controller.

Not sure which ones to delete and also which one is the mouse/keyboard.

Would you please guide me?

Thanks.

Mark