Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

X-Plane airport list

Pretty handy Rich!  There is also this too: https://gateway.x-plane.com/airports/page

• Upvote 1

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

If you have any FS9 airports you can convert them reasonably well with FSX2Xplane and Overlay editor. I have converted many Flytampa airports this way (FSX seems not to convert too well), it's best to make a fake FS9 folder to install the Flytampa airports into, then run fsx2xplane to convert .

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Very interesting

i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, 32GB RAM, GTX1070 8GB (X-Plane 11, X-Plane 10)

i7-2630QM 2.0Ghz, 12GB RAM, GTX560M 3GB (X-Plane 9, FSX, FS2004)

Hi,

do you know this site ? : 

http://apxp.info/ 

It lists all the airports by country. It gives the link to the gateway download page of the airport.

The nice addition is that if there are other sceneries for this airport (other than xp gateway), it gives the link too.

------------------

Guillaume CHARRIER

The vast majority of these airports in NA are 2D, which mean they only consist of runways and maybe taxiways. The included XP "gateway" airports are few and far between, also especially in NA since the XP user base is skewed to Europe. And the number of "enhanced" airports available for download is actually quite limited. Basically, this is why people suggest that if you have XP, you need to download the Prefab Airports scenery, as at least this puts a few fake buildings and airports objects etc. at the global airports so they don't look like a remote landing strip in the wilderness. It keeps me happy.

This brings up a point as to why commercial 3rd party flight sim vendors tend to shy away from XP. The reason is that there is a large community of XP scenery developers out there. It is a great thing but also makes commercial vendors hesitant to invest time in producing scenery. Why pay for something if you can get it for free? FSX used to be that way, but now the commercial side of things is dominant.

If you have any FS9 airports you can convert them reasonably well with FSX2Xplane and Overlay editor. I have converted many Flytampa airports this way (FSX seems not to convert too well), it's best to make a fake FS9 folder to install the Flytampa airports into, then run fsx2xplane to convert .

This is a violation of the EULA for those commercial products. FS2Xplane is supposed to be used with permission of the original author only.

Sedona and Monterey first on my list

Yup, all of the airports on that page are linked to the gateway in the second post. When X-Plane 11.00 reaches the release candidate stage all of those airports you downloaded will be included in the release.

If you aren't building an airport then I would recommend deleting the ones you downloaded from that site when X-Plane is updated. Because usually many times those airports will get updates, which you won't see if you directly download them.

But hey, think of it as getting a preview before X-Plane goes final.

Hi guys, as one of the main contributors to the Scenery Gateway I would like to clear up some myths spread in this thread:

• You are NOT supposed to download these airports - they will automatically be added to X-Plane for everyone. Download only if you want to work on them (Scenery Design)
  • Most of the detailed airports in the Scenery Gateway are ALREADY in X-Plane. Only the ones added since the last "scenery injection" are missing.
  • If you want to download highly detailed airports (of varying quality), go to an independent site, like x-plane.org. They have thousands of airports. (Some installation of extra object libraries needed)
  • X-Plane user base is not necessarily skewed towards Europe, we guys are just less lazy than the Americans, and therefore we have done more airports (its a crowdsourcing effort!!) :smile:

Happy landings, Jan (litjan)

• Upvote 2

• X-Plane user base is not necessarily skewed towards Europe, we guys are just less lazy than the Americans, and therefore we have done more airports (its a crowdsourcing effort!!) 

Well, it's not a question of laziness as much as the sheer size of North America, and the number of smaller airports scattered everywhere. Especially if you're looking for a GA airport near your home, it's just more likely to be missed than one in a small European country. From one source (Quora):

As of 2009, the CIA stated that there were approximately 44,000 "... airports or airfields recognizable from the air" around the world, including 15,095 in the US. (If you want a paved runway, there are only 5,194.) The US has about a third of all airports, and the most of any single country

Coverage of the gateway airports in North America is much better in scenic flying areas like the Pacific Northwest like Oregon, Washington state, British Columbia. I see gateway airports in many places I fly up here in X-Plane. Elsewhere, it can be more random, depending on who lives where, and is contributing airports.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

depending on who lives where

This counts for a lot. I've done 60 or so for the Gateway, but aside from a brief period were I was doing gateway airports on commission for FSE members, they're all in British Columbia, Alberta (where I live), and Saskatchewan. At some point my goal is to have *every* airport in Alberta having good 3D scenery. Then I'll move on to Saskatchewan or B.C.  :smile: 

I could cover it all quicker, but I've gotten quite picky and precise, and that takes soooo much time. That, and I decided to take on doing a more detailed version of CYEG (Edmonton Intl), which is going to take me months I'm sure. (Ironically, the current CYEG is one of Janov's submissions!)

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

It keeps me happy.

Yes Sir, as I see, you are a fan of the great Monty Python.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iV2ViNJFZC8

Sometimes pure nonsense does really good. :-)

(btw. my daughters cannot laugh watching the video)

Kind regards

Tom

Sometimes I have to admit to myself:
"Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses"

This counts for a lot. I've done 60 or so for the Gateway, but aside from a brief period were I was doing gateway airports on commission for FSE members, they're all in British Columbia, Alberta (where I live), and Saskatchewan. At some point my goal is to have *every* airport in Alberta having good 3D scenery. Then I'll move on to Saskatchewan or B.C.  :smile:

I could cover it all quicker, but I've gotten quite picky and precise, and that takes soooo much time. That, and I decided to take on doing a more detailed version of CYEG (Edmonton Intl), which is going to take me months I'm sure. (Ironically, the current CYEG is one of Janov's submissions!)

Be careful when you do CYEG - there is another guy (or is it you??) doing it, already:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/105969-cyeg-edmonton-intl-wip-gateway-version/

Cheers, Jan

Be careful when you do CYEG - there is another guy (or is it you??) doing it, already:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/105969-cyeg-edmonton-intl-wip-gateway-version/

Cheers, Jan

Wow, Jan, I am *so* glad you posted that link. No it is not me, I've only put about 10 or 11 hours in... I was starting to work my way down Taxiway B, starting at the farthest out, and I'd only just gotten to the FedEx ramp. I'm very glad that it's being done in that level of detail by someone else. I've been very proud of some of my more recent creations, but that guy is taking it to a whole other level.

It'll be wonderful to check it out - not just because I live in Edmonton, but because it looks like there's some really impressive stuff to learn and make notes from. I'd be really interested in seeing which some of those facades in use in those shots are. I get entirely too annoyed with searching though all the facades, I wish WED had a viewer for them.

I'll be honest though.. one of my reasons for doing CYEG for the Gateway was because I did a 3D model of the terminal, and eventually, maybe, I'd love to actually build the whole airport around it... maybe.. 

Edit: By the way Jan, I'm very grateful for not only the work you've done in fleshing out so many large airports, but also in promoting what the Gateway airports are capable of!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Hi guys, as one of the main contributors to the Scenery Gateway I would like to clear up some myths spread in this thread:

• You are NOT supposed to download these airports - they will automatically be added to X-Plane for everyone. Download only if you want to work on them (Scenery Design)
  • Most of the detailed airports in the Scenery Gateway are ALREADY in X-Plane. Only the ones added since the last "scenery injection" are missing.
  • If you want to download highly detailed airports (of varying quality), go to an independent site, like x-plane.org. They have thousands of airports. (Some installation of extra object libraries needed)
  • X-Plane user base is not necessarily skewed towards Europe, we guys are just less lazy than the Americans, and therefore we have done more airports (its a crowdsourcing effort!!) :smile:
Happy landings, Jan (litjan)
Good post which should be posted as a sticky post of its own. Way too many (new) XP users see the gateway as a resource for freeware addon airports which it isn't. I get all my airports from x-plane.org. I don't see the use of the link Richard posted, in fact those gateway links are 'dangerous' because afaik they won't be updated anymore at all if you have downloaded and installed them manually.

Nice! Thanks

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |