Sign in to follow this  
Mithras

Ski Plane Recommendations?

Its. Christmas! And because we rarely have snow in England any more I always go flying in Alaska this time of year with those lovely sunsets, great mountains, glaciers and snowy forests.

Can anyone recommend a good ski plane for off airport landings? I see some great frozen lakes that will make nice impromptu airstrips.

I really would like a tricycle gear plane though. I have the Carenado 185 Bush, and it is great, but I don't like tail draggers much. Also... for a couple of reasons I won't go into here, I already have Aerosoft's Twin Otter Extended - but I don't fly that anymore.

Ski plane

Even bettter if skis retract!

Tricycle gear

Is there anything out there I don't know about?

It is an amazing RL plane, but the sim troubles me ... mainly its taxi characteristics, but also because I like to have aircraft that match my full cockpit simulation, which is more of a Seneca, Aztec type set-up. All my controls are in their RW places, and the old Twin Otter has all those levers up top, plus, I have to use the VC to start the thing.

I do have the earlier non-Extended Twin Otter, which has excellent taxing characteristics, I might go back and have a look at that.

Carenado 172 has a ski version with a nose-ski. CS C-130 as well.

Wilga by AS and Storch by FA are remarkable skiers too.

Thanks !

(I have the CS C-130, but can't really remember seeing a ski version.)