Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

What a nightmare!

I tried downloading some photo scenery from http://zonephoto.x-plane.fr/Cartes.php and after a long attempt to get Java working, I was successful, but the slow download speed is killing me. It's as if I went back in time to when I used a phone line to access the web. :smile:

All kidding aside, is there an alternative location to get these files?

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Mmmmmmmm, downloaded some tiles yesterday 10Mb/sec with high speed internet....

Which tiles are you looking for btw?

Grtz

Jozeff

I never managed to get Java working with that site at all so I created a few tiles of my own using Orthox4XP... It takes quite some time and still doesn't look too good so I am back to default scenery for now. Looking forward to photoreal payware for XP... ;)

??? Kb/sec 

Downloading a FL section (Hernando) at the moment at 40kb-100kb. Really bad!

Sometimes it pauses. Then restarts. The nightmare continues.

I never managed to get Java working with that site at all so I created a few tiles of my own using Orthox4XP... It takes quite some time and still doesn't look too good so I am back to default scenery for now. Looking forward to photoreal payware for XP... ;)

The only browser that worked for me is IE. I had to add

http://zonephoto.x-plane.fr

to the exception list in Java config.

Guest Mik75

For me it works just fine. Although setting up the Java applet was a pita. ;-)

If you've got enough hard drive space, you should have a look at ortho4xp, which lets you build your own photo scenery for free (at the desired zoom level)!

ZL17 with very dense autogen trees, buildings and night lighting.

deyg98bc7t385zj0g.jpg

Mmmmmmmm, downloaded some tiles yesterday 10Mb/sec with high speed internet....

Which tiles are you looking for btw?

Grtz

Jozeff

Just Florida. After I test Hernando, I'll decide if I want to download anything else.

Looking forward to photoreal payware for XP... ;)

Why is there so little photo scenery available for XP? It makes no sense to me that everybody is out there making their own.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Guest Mik75

Why is there so little photo scenery available for XP? It makes no sense to me that everybody is out there making their own.

That makes perfect sense, if you ask me.

You can very easily create your own photo scenery, fitting your needs and hardware. For the cost of zero!!! Why do people fear to give that a go??? It's not rocket science. ;-)

You have to pay quite high license fees if you make a commercial product out of the available ortho photo data.

KBUR in California for $0:

deygf5y9ftjin6eww.jpg

How long would it take me to learn the tools, download the data and assemble say, states of CA, OR, WA, AZ, UT, CO, NM, NV?

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

That makes perfect sense, if you ask me.

You can very easily create your own photo scenery, fitting your needs and hardware. For the cost of zero!!! Why do people fear to give that a go??? It's not rocket science. ;-)

I gave it a go, it's not rocker science indeed, but the quality of the photoreal can be real bad in places and often sou clearly see huge color differences (even when using one source). Creating tiles at higher zoom levels and color corrections no everything takes ages... if you know how to get it done. It is a lot of work. Too much work for me because I like to fly.

How long would it take me to learn the tools, download the data and assemble say, states of CA, OR, WA, AZ, UT, CO, NM, NV?

Depending on the zoom level that will literally take quite a few days of constant downloading (and without the color correction) and make sure you have an HD which a few terabytes free.

I would pay $100 for good, color corrected ZL16 photoreal scenery per US state or european country in a heartbeat. I wouldn't even need autogen, just orthophotos on a decent HD/UHD quality mesh would be fine for me.

But it doesn't look like we will get something like this anytime soon. But I'll rather wait than spend the time in creating my own. I did it for the PilotEdge area, but only because it's a very managable region and still I don't like the color differences and may switch back to default scenery.

agree with Jeroen, 

it is a LOT of work. 

It can be done free and indeed not rocket science (not that easy either), but don't lead the newcomers to xp to believe it's a piece of cake pls.

-Roland

Almost 4 hours to download one section. On a different server, it should have taken about a minute.

I hope that these files are available to download from somewhere else.

Thanks for your input.

I would pay $100 for good, color corrected ZL16 photoreal scenery per US state or european country in a heartbeat. I wouldn't even need autogen, just orthophotos on a decent HD/UHD quality mesh would be fine for me.

But it doesn't look like we will get something like this anytime soon. But I'll rather wait than spend the time in creating my own. I did it for the PilotEdge area, but only because it's a very managable region and still I don't like the color differences and may switch back to default scenery.

not for zl 16, but maybe 17 or higher ;) 16 is pretty basic when you get to around 2 - 3000 ft

-Roland