Sign in to follow this  
DylanM

Some interesting info from the 2017 ORBX Roadmap

It's almost certainly got to be DTG Flight Simulator. Their tech simply won't port to X-Plane in its current state (The scenery system is completely different and won't work with their landclass approach). I don't think AeroflyFS is mature enough.

I'll bite my tongue if I'm wrong though ;-)

You could be right!

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

It's almost certainly got to be DTG Flight Simulator. Their tech simply won't port to X-Plane in its current state (The scenery system is completely different and won't work with their landclass approach). I don't think AeroflyFS is mature enough.

I'll bite my tongue if I'm wrong though ;-)

The starting letter of each project is a dead giveaway. Noway is that an accident. 

So starting biting your tongue :)

• Upvote 1

I could see them perhaps porting airports, but I've worked too long with the scenery system in X-Plane to know that doing their regions with landclass tiles and textures in X-Plane is very difficult to do (it isn't impossible, but you'd have to have a huge pile of time and research behind it). It's very interesting and great we'll all be using 64-bit sims soon enough (What will we have to moan about then ;-))

'

Everyone got it wrong it's for Flightgear it's 64 bit remember

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I could see them perhaps porting airports, but I've worked too long with the scenery system in X-Plane to know that doing their regions with landclass tiles and textures in X-Plane is very difficult to do (it isn't impossible, but you'd have to have a huge pile of time and research behind it). It's very interesting and great we'll all be using 64-bit sims soon enough (What will we have to moan about then ;-))

'

The quest for ultra realism and FPS will never go away...

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

The starting letter of each project is a dead giveaway. Noway is that an accident.

So starting biting your tongue :)

Just wanted to post the same. No guessing needed.

I look forward to seeing what Dovetail brings to market, but I will probably stick with P3D when/if it goes 64-bit, assuming REX, ASN and A2A plan on supporting. I'll be happy to pay the few bucks to upgrade my orbx library, as JV has previously discussed.

I am not an X-Plane user, but I agree that Orbx photoreal treatments would be an amazing upgrade to the sim - but something like FTX Global, with roads crossing baked buildings, would be a serious step back backwards. It's downright ugly. But it seems they do have something to offer.

But in the end, I am open to anything new. I'll eventually move to whatever platform provides the deepest overall experience. For my dollar, it's P3D at the moment.

• Upvote 1

They could also make a new regional autogen package.

• Upvote 1

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

I look forward to seeing what Dovetail brings to market, but I will probably stick with P3D when/if it goes 64-bit, assuming REX, ASN and A2A plan on supporting. I'll be happy to pay the few bucks to upgrade my orbx library, as JV has previously discussed.

I am not an X-Plane user, but I agree that Orbx photoreal treatments would be an amazing upgrade to the sim - but something like FTX Global, with roads crossing baked buildings, would be a serious step back backwards. It's downright ugly. But it seems they do have something to offer.

But in the end, I am open to anything new. I'll eventually move to whatever platform provides the deepest overall experience. For my dollar, it's P3D at the moment.

Given Orbx's penchant for quality and innovation (JV being a jerk aside), does anyone really think their plan is to simply port over FTX Global with baked buildings and roads? Come on. 

Whatever they have planned is going to improve on XP, not be a step back. They are way too much into the business side of things to do something that isn't going to be popular. 

• Upvote 2

What are the odds they will charge for 64bit versions of the same addon that you already have for p3d that is 32bit currently (upgrade charge).. i was contemplating buying some more addons while their sale is on, but if i'm about to have to invest in new versions at a new cost then i'm not so sure.. all this assuming there is truth to 64bit p3d + orbx :)

Otherwise I'm also hoping for aerofly/xp11 possibilities.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Odds? 100%. They've already said that 64bit add ons for P3D will carry a fee for previous users. Whether there's a discount or not, no one knows. 

• Upvote 1

Sounds like 2017 will be an interesting year!

All on the list above from one of the key players within our arena plus VR which I think will start playing a more and more dominant role for many of us in a not too distant future.

To me the future of flight simulation looks better than it did in a long time!

• Upvote 5

Richard Åsberg

Given Orbx's penchant for quality and innovation (JV being a jerk aside), does anyone really think their plan is to simply port over FTX Global with baked buildings and roads? Come on. 

Whatever they have planned is going to improve on XP, not be a step back. They are way too much into the business side of things to do something that isn't going to be popular. 

No no, don't misunderstand me. I don't expect they would simply port Global. It's just not possible. I am a loyal customer and know exactly what standard they hold themselves to. If they did an "Global" type addon, it would certainly be tailor-made to the platform and bring a significant upgrade - thus justifying a heft price tag.

What are the odds they will charge for 64bit versions of the same addon that you already have for p3d that is 32bit currently (upgrade charge).. i was contemplating buying some more addons while their sale is on, but if i'm about to have to invest in new versions at a new cost then i'm not so sure.. all this assuming there is truth to 64bit p3d + orbx :)

Otherwise I'm also hoping for aerofly/xp11 possibilities.

Yes 100%. JV already stated clearly that P3D v3 was the LAST free upgrade. A "minimal" fee will be required to upgrade previously owned scenery in the future.