Sign in to follow this  
DylanM

Some interesting info from the 2017 ORBX Roadmap

"Top Secret Projects

Now to the juicy stuff! Next year we have a number of top-secret projects being started. All of these are big budget, big investment, risky, adventurous and a little bit scary for us. I know I am going to sound deliberately vague, but understand we are investing deep into six figures for these initiatives so it's important to keep things within the company for now. Don't worry, I think you know how much we as a team love showing you new stuff, so things will be revealed soon enough.

Project A - Massive. A huge investment in new tech, new tools, new apps and new staff. It will surprise many of you, and delight you all. It will focus on both Europe and North America. It will perform like nothing you have experience in your simming life. It will support VR. It will be a VFR flyer's wet dream. It will be sold on OrbxDirect. Oh, and it will be 64-bit.

Project D - The evolutionary next step. Another big $ commitment, worldwide coverage, new tech, new experiences, a strong partner and an established record. Oh, and it will be 64-bit.

Project P - Our continued commitment to our strongest platform and it has a huge backing. More refinement, more performance, more destinations from Orbx than ever before. An old friend gets better, faster, stronger, bigger. Oh, and it will be 64-bit.

Project X - The surprise package. The dark horse. A big $ R&D commitment. Orbx quality where it's needed the most so things finally get to truly shine. Oh, and it's 64-bit.

Project O - Introduced in 2016 this will become your go-to for all things Orbx with more stability, more features, better performance, and continued development so it never gets stale.

How's that? Obscure enough for you? default_ph34r.png"

My guesses:

- Project A - Integration into a new flightsim. Maybe Aerofly?

- Project D - Dovetail FS

- Project P - P3D4 (64 bit!)

- Project X - XP11

- Project O - OrbxDirect updates

I think you're guessing just right.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Whoa, if they can port their regional textures to XPlane in a high enough resolution, I'll be all over that.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Below are some predictions for Project X (X-Plane 11), which is slated to receive a large R&D investment from ORBX:

Regions 

• ORBX would start with Pacific Northwest (most popular region)
  • Product would align with XP tech and not FSX/P3D tech. (Not a tile-based product with painted and annotated autogen) 
  • Upgraded Ground Textures (downtown, urban, suburban, rural, farmland, mountains, etc.)
  • Upgraded and more variety of regional X-Plane-style autogen (houses/row houses, industrial buildings, urban buildings, taller Central Business District autogen buildings and trees)
  • Seasonal ground textures and trees would be available.
  • Regional landmarks including downtown buildings and other points of interest would be available
  • All airports in the region would be populated, likely with ORBX's utilization of WED and additional tech.

Regional Airports

• These would be made available using X-Plane tech.
  • Sloping runways, incredible lighting, and possible implementation of X-Plane flow tech.

Global 

• Once Orbx cracks the code on how to create regions, a Global product could be created that contains ground textures and autogen (houses, buildings, vegetation)
  • Possible vector-type product

Other

• HD Trees (easy win and really needed)
  • Light Configurator (This would be great to configure coloring, size, and who knows what else)
  • Upvote 1

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Below are some predictions for Project X (X-Plane 11), which is slated to receive a large R&D investment from ORBX:

Sounds like a good plan to me 

• Upvote 1

Rich Sennett

John has posted in the Orbx forums for years he will not support X-Plane.

I decided not to support Orbx.

I think XP11 is by far the BEST-out-of-the-box sim even in beta, but this is just MY preference.

Don't you believe it.

If the X-Plane market is already or grows big enough, he'll support it.

ORBX is a business, it will always chase new money. Same as any other business.

Stu

• Upvote 2

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

Nice catch and I agree now (I'm now biting my own tongue). This has to be X-Plane  :Tounge:

And did you already apply? Not really kidding, your skills might fit quite well to the future needs of ORBX, and you had a chance to give the project a certain momentum from the beginning (within limits understood).

Kind regards, Michael

(As a sidenote... you had such a nice avatar once)

• Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

John has posted in the Orbx forums for years he will not support X-Plane.

Which could be because X-Plane for years has had a too low market share and has been a technical platform that wasn't attractive for Orbx. With XP11, these factors could perhaps have begun to change enough to reconsider the decision,.

• Upvote 1

Well John certainly got everyone to stop moaning about the Paypal situation, job done I would say.

JV the master puppeteer.

• Upvote 1

Probably already been posted but X is definitely X-Plane. Go over to the Orbx homepage and look at the screenshot.

https://orbxdirect.com/

• Upvote 3

Probably already been posted but X is definitely X-Plane. Go over to the Orbx homepage and look at the screenshot.

To be more precise its x-plane beta! Not even the final product...this forum itself barely had an x plane post from time to time before the release of xplane public beta! Xp11 is impressive!

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

It is Project A that has my attention for the long run... likely a new platform (as speculated AeroFly), native VR!!!, 64bit, ORBX and great VFR flying.  

• Upvote 3

Cute that they used Meigs Airfield for the screenshot..

I have the FSX version, and it is really well done - as well as pure nostalgia  :smile:

Bert

all the talk about 64bit sim, nothing about DX12, I hope P3D or DT will adopt DX12, at least as a preview option (to make use of current powerful graphic cards) till it's mature enough for people to switch to, just like DX10 was in FSX.

Ali

• Upvote 1

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

I have just started to return to the land of the living after two weeks of sickness and still recovering pneumonia.

I'm feeling somewhat grumpy, naturally.

I hated the REX bit splash marketing of their HD Airports stuff, ridiculous over marketing in my view.

Now this!

I have a robust FSX and now P3Dv3.4.  I have so much stuff I don't know what to do with it all (just kidding). I can fly till the cows come home in tons of great planes in great scenery and real weather.

I have literately not started up FSX in over a month, its all P3D for the lighting, shadows and weather etc.

All I want in the near future is a sim that does not have OOMs. Its totally frustrating to have a PC that can take all sliders to the max...that comes crashing down as I come into land. I am backing off of scenery purchases to only something really special. I have enough planes of every description. I'll wait, I'll fly.

64bit, no OOMs and I will move to that sim....I don't care what it is.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3