Sign in to follow this  
keithb77

Library install woes!

Long time FSX/P3D user trying to get back into Xplane -- I've downloaded Tom's java library installer and the latest OpenSceneryX, but both are too clever for their own good and needlessly fail to install!

OpenSceneryX tries to compare local files with the internet but fails (has the url changed?) and doesn't give the option of continuing anyway :(

I've got a two year old copy of the library - I assume that needs updating?

Any way of suppressing the check?

Tom's combined java library installer fails because it doesn't think there is enough disk space...but it's reporting the size for the C drive when Xplane is on the F drive, which has oodles of space!

Any way of convincing it to look in the right place?
It hasn't yet prompted for Xplanes location....

Norway-Pro refuses to load without the libraries so very keen to progress :)

Thanks for any tips!

Cheers

Keith

OpenSceneryX tries to compare local files with the internet but fails (has the url changed?) and doesn't give the option of continuing anyway
I've got a two year old copy of the library - I assume that needs updating?
Any way of suppressing the check?

I used the installer yesterday on my new Windows 10 computer, it worked fine. Not sure what to tell you here, but there shouldn't be any problem. Also, OpenSceneryX from 2 years ago will probably still work with Norway Pro.

Besides OpenSceneryX, these are the libraries you can install manually which will enable all of my sceneries to work (Norway, GB Pro etc)

R2 Library

FF Library

World Models

I would also suggest to manually download and install only the libraries you need. That Java installer installs a lot and a lot of it you don't need.

And btw installers usually use the Windows Temp folder to prepare the files for installation and that folder is on the C drive by default: hence the reporting of the size of the C drive. So even if your F drive has 10 TB of free space, it won't install if your C drive is almost full. Either create space on C or move the Temp folder to another drive (which is a bit complicated: don't just copy it but Google for the proper instructions). But as I said, better install the seperate libraries.

Concerning OpenSceneryX: maybe it also has problems due to C being too full...? It worked flawlessly here a week ago.

I used the installer yesterday on my new Windows 10 computer, it worked fine. Not sure what to tell you here, but there shouldn't be any problem. Also, OpenSceneryX from 2 years ago will probably still work with Norway Pro.

Besides OpenSceneryX, these are the libraries you can install manually which will enable all of my sceneries to work (Norway, GB Pro etc)

R2 Library

FF Library

World Models

Thanks for the reply :)

I see that the OSX installer doesn't include the datafiles...thought it was small!

I'll try again and hopefully the 2-year old files are sufficient anyway....

I have a couple of the other libraries, though again 2-years old.

The world models I don't have ... but I've found the stand-alone version at the Org so should be OK.

Cheers

Keith

I'm downloading the 3.6GB library installer right now. Is it a good idea to install it to XP11? I have plenty space left on C: drive for XP11. 

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

And btw installers usually use the Windows Temp folder to prepare the files for installation

Another good reason to avoid installers :)

Just thought "get it all done in one hit"...never mind...

If it works for you Yang then still a good idea to get them all.

Cheers

Keith

The collection itself is great, but the installer gave me no end of arseache as well.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I'm downloading the 3.6GB library installer right now. Is it a good idea to install it to XP11? I have plenty space left on C: drive for XP11. 

If you don't mind having a lot of folders with things you will never need than it is a good idea. It IS an easy way to get a lot of libraries in one go. I myself like to be more in control though. And I also like my Custom folder as clean as possible. Too many things in there already.  :wink:

Thanks, Jeroen. I installed library last night. Yeah, a lot of folders.

One thing I'd like to see XP11 to implant is to allow subfolders in Custom folder, so we can have subfolders like "Airports", "Libraries" etc.

But overall I like this straightforward way XP dealing with custom sceneries. Sticking with a consistent naming format helped by bulk renaming utility it's not bad at least. 

Thanks, Jeroen. I installed library last night. Yeah, a lot of folders.

One thing I'd like to see XP11 to implant is to allow subfolders in Custom folder, so we can have subfolders like "Airports", "Libraries" etc.

But overall I like this straightforward way XP dealing with custom sceneries. Sticking with a consistent naming format helped by bulk renaming utility it's not bad at least.

Subfolders would be great indeed. I also renamed everything: all airport folders names start with AP, libraries with LB, scenery with SC and so on. I have renamed everything in such a way that whenever I add something new I only have to remove the ini and a new on will be created with everything in the right order (if you do not remove the ini the new things will be added at the top which quite often is the wrong place). Very convenient. And yes, the folder can become full but I really like this easy way of 'installing' things!

BTW Lately I am mainly working with placing only shortcuts in the custom folder to all addons which simply reside in my downloads folder: saves a lot of space!

Good to know that one can put shortcuts instead of actual folders in the Custom Folder. That's great news too. 

Good to know that one can put shortcuts instead of actual folders in the Custom Folder. That's great news too. 

Yeah, XP is pretty good in many regards! :wink: